FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2017 8:53 PM  #1

I will be relocating soon

Sherry has turned in her retirement papers and we are closing on our new house at Canyon Lake next Friday. Will be moving Aug 1 or sooner.  We will put our existing place up for sale once we get ready to move out.

Now I have to get rid of 90% of 30+ years of parts. Will start construction of a new shop once we get relocated.  If anyone has ideas of things to include in a new shop, please post. I aready have a list a mile long and a proposed floorplan, but no concrete has been poured yet.   HOA mandates garage must match the house.  It will be difficult to improve on my existing shop, but there are a couple of things I will be adding.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/07/2017 10:25 PM  #2

Re: I will be relocating soon

Congrats to Sherry on her retirement!  I Don't know your shop, but think recessed floor lighting under the lift would be nice.

Last edited by rpm (5/07/2017 10:25 PM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/08/2017 4:59 AM  #3

Depends on the climate.  If it gets cold in the winters radiant floor heat is awesome.  The trick is placing the tubes such that they don't interfere with mounting a lift.  The slab can always be x-rayed later, but it an added expense. 

Air lines are always nice, but I imagine you have those already.  Boxing in the compressor with some insulation to keep noise down, but again I imagine you already have that. 

Solar panels would be a good way to defray electric cost, and likely makes AC more attractive. 

The one thing I wish I had is a freaking bathroom...

5/08/2017 5:43 AM  #4

Congrats to you both!!  Make sure your ceiling is high enough!!!

Is that Canyon Lake down by Wimberly???

5/08/2017 8:31 AM  #5

I only have one complaint about my shops and that is that I should decide how big is nice and double it. So go as big as you can. Just like parking spaces, work bays can never be too big. I am about to re-do my one building and will make a dedicated area for all the messy stuff like the parts washer, saws, grinders, and such., I probably will curtain it off too. If you have a certain place for your main workbench with vise and all I would have an anchor in the floor so I could securely fasten down the vise. I have my eye on this giant vise at a local used equipment dealer and will cut a hole and sink anchors to bed rock when I reinstall my bench. A few anchors in one bay is a good idea too so you can straighten the frame/unibody easily next time your baby gets bent.

5/08/2017 8:45 AM  #6

Canyon Lake BASH 2018.
BASH and boating.....LOL

5/08/2017 9:13 AM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

Depends on the climate.  If it gets cold in the winters radiant floor heat is awesome.  The trick is placing the tubes such that they don't interfere with mounting a lift.  The slab can always be x-rayed later, but it an added expense. 

Air lines are always nice, but I imagine you have those already.  Boxing in the compressor with some insulation to keep noise down, but again I imagine you already have that. 

Solar panels would be a good way to defray electric cost, and likely makes AC more attractive. 

The one thing I wish I had is a freaking bathroom...

Yep, all excellent ideas TKO.

Ah, so the move explains MS's travel route change to the Bash.

If I had property big enough to build a unattached shop, I just might make the exterior look like a normal house. With one master bedroom which could be used as an office/storage/TV room.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/08/2017 10:02 AM  #8

My dream garage is two story.  A loft over a good portion of the floor space.  The upper area is mainly for storage, but some space is reserved for a rec area "man cave".  There are stairs, but more importantly a lift to haul up those parts.  Nothing fancy, just a dual gated caged platform that goes from A to B.  I think I remember someone on here making one.   IF its going to be independent of the house, then a bathroom/shower and possibly even one of those efficiency kitchenettes.   I have actually seen something similiar to what I am describing.  A garage someone built about two miles away from me.  He used it as a home based business.  Other goodies.  Air line set up.  Overhead winding extension cord set up.  (I have these in my 24 x 24 and it makes a hec of a difference from being in your way.)  Congrats on Sherry's retirement!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/08/2017 10:06 AM  #9

At least your not moving to a rest home....   Good Luck on your move!   Id say it would be hard to improve on what you have.   More space is always nice because I know you have a lot of parts. 

5/08/2017 2:07 PM  #10

Greg B wrote:

My dream garage is two story.  A loft over a good portion of the floor space.  The upper area is mainly for storage, but some space is reserved for a rec area "man cave".  There are stairs, but more importantly a lift to haul up those parts.  Nothing fancy, just a dual gated caged platform that goes from A to B.  I think I remember someone on here making one.   IF its going to be independent of the house, then a bathroom/shower and possibly even one of those efficiency kitchenettes.   I have actually seen something similiar to what I am describing.  A garage someone built about two miles away from me.  He used it as a home based business.  Other goodies.  Air line set up.  Overhead winding extension cord set up.  (I have these in my 24 x 24 and it makes a hec of a difference from being in your way.)  Congrats on Sherry's retirement!

That's the description for what a man looks for when house shopping: "six car garage with someplace to sleep, functioning bathroom, and a den."

5/08/2017 7:24 PM  #11

The only thing I would add to Greg B's is a drain in the floor good enough to wash the engine and car. Congratulations to Sherry and you.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/08/2017 8:08 PM  #12

I have given some thought to a floor drain for washing the car. There are some pretty good reasons NOT to do that in a garage.  Most places will not let you do it. And pretty much all municipalities prohibit a drain going to the storm sewer.
In rural areas such as ours where we have an aerobic sewer system, I would not want a gasoline or oil residue spill contaminating the system that I have to maintain. That could be a very expensive spill. So, I decided the floor in one bay would have a slight slope towards the overhead door.   Sure would be nice to have a floor drain, but I think the benefit would be wiped out if I ever spilled something.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/09/2017 8:31 AM  #13

I have never had a big garage and have always had to share with other "non-car stuff". That said my dream garage would be modest in size by some standards but would require heat and air, good lighting, a bathroom and a refrigerator.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

5/09/2017 9:16 AM  #14

We live not too far from where Steve will be moving.  In slab heating is almost never seen here, as it rarely gets below freezing for more than a week or so a year. His biggest problem is cooling as it gets blasted hot here.  Several years ago, we had close to 90 days over 100, with 6 of them over 110.  AC is a must as is good insulation.

5/09/2017 11:07 AM  #15

A/C
a urinal
220 wiring

5/09/2017 3:18 PM  #16

Prof wrote:

A/C
a urinal
220 wiring

In this order and don't COMBINE together the last two.  

5/09/2017 3:55 PM  #17

MS wrote:

I have given some thought to a floor drain for washing the car. There are some pretty good reasons NOT to do that in a garage.  Most places will not let you do it. And pretty much all municipalities prohibit a drain going to the storm sewer.
In rural areas such as ours where we have an aerobic sewer system, I would not want a gasoline or oil residue spill contaminating the system that I have to maintain. That could be a very expensive spill. So, I decided the floor in one bay would have a slight slope towards the overhead door.   Sure would be nice to have a floor drain, but I think the benefit would be wiped out if I ever spilled something.

I had forgot about all that stuff. Our drain went out into the dry creek bed out back and the EPA came along an made us clean it out after 20 some years. It wasn't cheap.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/09/2017 4:27 PM  #18

Install twice as many lights as you think you will need. As you get older, you need more light. If you zone them, you can have general and detail lighting circuits. The earlier suggestion for in-floor lights under the lift is a good one. You might also consider sinking pull pots in the slab so you can winch dead vehicles into the shop.

Porcelain tile in the shop is worth every penny. Porcelain is harder than concrete and if it is properly installed with full bedding and no back voids, it is nearly impossible to break. Easy cleanup.

5/09/2017 7:04 PM  #19

Stripper pole?

5/10/2017 2:54 AM  #20

Trolley hoist in the ceiling and a fridge with a lock.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

5/10/2017 5:57 AM  #21

MS wrote:

I have given some thought to a floor drain for washing the car. There are some pretty good reasons NOT to do that in a garage. Most places will not let you do it. And pretty much all municipalities prohibit a drain going to the storm sewer.
In rural areas such as ours where we have an aerobic sewer system, I would not want a gasoline or oil residue spill contaminating the system that I have to maintain. That could be a very expensive spill. So, I decided the floor in one bay would have a slight slope towards the overhead door. Sure would be nice to have a floor drain, but I think the benefit would be wiped out if I ever spilled something.

Here in Illinois we have a pretty strict Plumbing Code, we just don't have the manpower to enforce it!
You can put floor drains in garages and run them to Gas and oil interceptor.   Depends on what the laws are for your area.  here is a link if anyone wants to read it.  but one section stands out 

b)         Commercial and residential vehicle storage areas greater than 1,000 square feet with floor or trench drains installed shall comply with subsection (c)(1), (2) or (3).  Exception: residential garages with fewer than five vehicle bays are exempted from this requirement.

Here is the rest of it
http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/077008900E05200R.html

Personally I have 1 bay that has a 4 foot section of trench drain that just drains out back.  The drain is set 2" below finished floor level and the concrete is sloped to it in that bay only. Approx a 12' x 30' area, I can wash a car in that bay with out getting the one next to it wet. and the water is pretty much contained to that bay (pretty much).

If I had it to do over I would raise my entire slab up 6".  My shop is located on the lowest part of my property and all the rain water runs towards the shop.  It doesnt run in as I have the rock driveway down 2 " below the lip of the floor.  I want to pour a concrete apron but am afraid I won't be able to handle the water coming across the hard surface!

5/10/2017 1:23 PM  #22

I'm on my 4th shop, two I've built, one that was built with the last house, and one converted garage.  Below is a listing of the things I will would like in my future shops.

Foundation:  Here in TX, I prefer post tension slabs, but ask your concrete guy to add poly fibers to the mix for strength and make sure he waters it after the pour so it doesn't crack.  Pay extra to ensure he levels the slab as well as he can, and doesn't slope it to the door, as is typically done - just ensure the slab is well above grade.  5" to 6" thick with generous interior beams.
Size: as large as possible. I've filled up every shop I've owned including a 30'X 40' shop with a second floor.
10' ceilings.
A floored attic with a separate outside staircase.
Plenty of cabinets with adjustable shelves.  Cabinet height should be at least a foot taller than the typical cabinet since the space above is wasted.
All electrical outlets just above bench/counter height.
30 amp 120 volt circuits - similar for 240 volt circuits.  Dedicated circuit for 240 volt welder.  120 volt and 240 volt outlets every 8' around the shop.  Separate circuits for each wall.
Well insulated including the ceiling.
I prefer window A/C units for the ease of DIY installation, cost, and maintenance.  Nothing like a wood burning stove in the winter and space heaters have always sufficed me.
A separate room for the stuff that makes messes (lathe, grinder, shaper, mill, etc.). A separate room with an exhaust fan for painting small stuff.
I know you have a lift and don't know if you're taking it, but a pit is another old time alternative and/or supplement and  it's fairly cheap to have integrated in the foundation.  Doubles as an emergency hidey-hole.
Small windows high up in the walls scattered around the ceiling.  Solatubes are also great.
Very generous ceiling lighting.
A central dust collector.  The last one I had I build from a salvaged HVAC blower.
A wash-up sink with a septic lateral line for the drain (code allowing).

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

5/10/2017 3:18 PM  #23

Congratulations to you and your wife Steve! I absolutely love that whole area along the guadalupe river and hill country.

John

5/10/2017 9:05 PM  #24

Congrats Steve!  I have an acre in Canyon Lake I've been wanting to sell for a couple of years now.  Mustang Mania parts also relocated to that area a few years back.

5/11/2017 10:53 AM  #25

Congratulations on Sherry's retirement and the new house.
To the new garage I'll add you to consider LED shop lights.  These are extremely bright (something I need), and area a bit expensive, but in the long run ...
Good luck

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.