FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/25/2017 8:51 AM  #26

Re: Door Panels and an idea I want to see if anyone else has tried.

Panel is easy to remove and stays put. The caveat to this statement is it needs to have a long road trip to test this out....... HEY would you look at that, long road trip coming up next week.

9/25/2017 1:37 PM  #27

Very cool... Do you have a link to the magnets you bought?

I've been needing to pull my door panel off to look at an issue with my door handle, but I've been avoiding it because I figured the clips would rip through.  Thanks to this tip I don't have to put it off anymore.

9/25/2017 1:50 PM  #28

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/25/2017 8:38 PM  #29

9/25/2017 8:42 PM  #30

Michael H. wrote:

I've been needing to pull my door panel off to look at an issue with my door handle, but I've been avoiding it because I figured the clips would rip through.  Thanks to this tip I don't have to put it off anymore.

Lowes or Home Depot have them too.

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/26/2017 8:26 AM  #31

6sally6 wrote:

Michael H. wrote:

Good to know... What section would something like that be in?... hardware?

9/26/2017 8:54 AM  #32

Make sure they are the N52 and are the very flat ones.

9/26/2017 9:51 AM  #33

Michael H. wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Michael H. wrote:

Good to know... What section would something like that be in?... hardware?

Yep! They MAY be big enough....they have several sizes.
You could always do like RUDI sez and put a magnet BEHIND the attachment point to attract the one on the panel.  That would be SUPER strong!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/26/2017 10:25 AM  #34

Each magnet is rated at 12.5 pounds pull strength and you put 15 magnets on each panel. If those chipboard and vinyl panels weigh less than 180 pounds each you should be good. Actually I would worry about the original problem: pulling holes in the chipboard and the magnets staying attached to the door.

9/26/2017 1:47 PM  #35

Hornman wrote:

Each magnet is rated at 12.5 pounds pull strength and you put 15 magnets on each panel. If those chipboard and vinyl panels weigh less than 180 pounds each you should be good. Actually I would worry about the original problem: pulling holes in the chipboard and the magnets staying attached to the door.

From the looks of the photos the magnets might not get full pull on the surface where the O/E clips went through, but certainly enough for the job.
 Never the less, a unique and clever solution to a 60's design issue.

Last edited by Rudi (9/26/2017 1:58 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/26/2017 3:16 PM  #36

I think a half dozen used credit type cards or similar plastic forced between the maggots and the door to get started, and then work around doing the same thing should make it work just fine.
Maybe.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/26/2017 5:39 PM  #37

See!! THATS why they pay you the big bucks Bob.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

9/26/2017 8:56 PM  #38

Panels come off just fine without any issues. Install and removal is easy. The door pull, door latch handle and window lever keeps everything from sliding around. Of course this could change with a long trip of vibration and such. I can show this off at the Bash. I need a door latch expert to show me what is going on with my locks not working like they should. 

9/27/2017 8:53 AM  #39

Mochaman wrote:

I need a door latch expert to show me what is going on with my locks not working like they should. 

There's a little plastic part in the latch mech, as I recall, where the lock rod attaches to the latch, that is probably shot.  I remember having to replace mine.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/27/2017 9:40 PM  #40

All the door latch areas are new repops, so nothing should be worn out.

9/27/2017 10:53 PM  #41

Just curious Ed, and I mighta missed it, but what is wrong with the latch ... whats it doing?
Check this thread out for a potential fix.
http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4460
I've found that, with the exeption of a gummed up latch, most lock problems come from rod length... especially after replacing parts.

Last edited by 50vert (9/27/2017 11:51 PM)

9/28/2017 8:41 AM  #42

The latches are both being weird. Passenger Door latch lets you use the key to lock the door, but then somehow won't all the key or the pull knob to unlock the door. You have to use the door handle to open the door once it is locked.

Drivers door just started acting up. You use the key to lock the door. Twist it, door locks, you have to return the key back to the position you can remove the key from the slot and the door unlocks.

So to lock both doors you have to lock drivers door from passenger side, get out then lock the passenger door with key. To get back in the car you have to use key on drivers door only then unlock passenger door from pull the door handle.

In the corporate world we would call this issue a "Feature" then charge the customer more money for it.

9/28/2017 9:26 AM  #43

Just to test my theory ... with panel of the drivers door turn the key to lock it, don't return to centre,disconnect the rod at the  lock, push down on the rod ... does it travel further than the key lets it? Resulting in a fully locked door? If yes.. lengthen the driver door lock rod by the amount it needed to travel further... so that the rod travels further, fully engaging the lock function.
Hope you can follow my jibberish. I can't remember if locking the door lifts the rod or pushes it down... if it lifts it, shorten the rod by the same amount it needed to travel.
Heading out to Yosemite soon for the day ... will check your results when I get back this arvo.
Good luck

Last edited by 50vert (9/28/2017 9:33 AM)

9/28/2017 10:29 AM  #44

Must be all those magnets setting up  force fields and discumbobulating the metal rods. ;)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/28/2017 11:37 AM  #45

You know 50vert I was pretty deep in that are of the door trying to change out the rear window channel because the felt binded up the whole window. I do remember that I got caught up on those rods several times during that channel swap out, so I should get back into this and see if I bent a rod too short or something.
Good thing I have an easily releasable door panel now.

7/27/2018 10:59 AM  #46

Time for an update Ed, how are the magnetic door panels working out? Have ya made enough trips to say it's tested?

Getting close to door panels for me.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/29/2018 8:20 PM  #47

The door panels are fantastic. My neighbor who owns a Hot Rod interior business has taken this idea and now offers it as an option. Being able to remove the panels with minimal fuss is a beautiful thing. So next Bash I can have a few door interior experts help me tune up the door locks and window gaps. 

7/29/2018 9:32 PM  #48

👍

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.