FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2018 8:02 AM  #26

Re: Bought a 67 convertible today. One that mochaman would be proud of

TKOPerformance wrote:

Stroked 460s usually went to 514 as I recall.  The difficulty as I recall is that the 385 series engines don't fit without shocktower mods.  Definitely cooler than the vanilla stroker SBF though. 

I guess for me it always came down to, "what am I gonna do with it?"  Show it, race it, or drive it.  Pretty tough to have a vehicle capable of doing any two properly...IMO.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/10/2018 11:06 AM  #27

Bullet Bob wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Stroked 460s usually went to 514 as I recall.  The difficulty as I recall is that the 385 series engines don't fit without shocktower mods.  Definitely cooler than the vanilla stroker SBF though. 

I guess for me it always came down to, "what am I gonna do with it?"  Show it, race it, or drive it.  Pretty tough to have a vehicle capable of doing any two properly...IMO.

BB

Exactly! 500 cubic inches does sound pretty cool though.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/10/2018 11:36 AM  #28

TKOPerformance wrote:

​Remember the Boss 429?  385 series engine with those huge hemi heads.  It was a beast.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/10/2018 3:59 PM  #29

TKOPerformance wrote:

Definitely cooler than the vanilla stroker SBF though. 

When did stroking a sbf become vanilla?

1/11/2018 6:25 AM  #30

lowercasesteve wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

​Remember the Boss 429?  385 series engine with those huge hemi heads.  It was a beast.

Provided you had the cam, intake and exhaust sorted out.  In stock form the Boss 429 was lackluster.  It wasn't built to be a street or track terror; it was built to homologate the engine for NASCAR racing.  I knew a guy in college who raced one.  He said stock it ran mid 14s.  Once he got hooked up with Holman and Moody and learned how to properly modify and prep the engine it lived up to its potential.

1/11/2018 6:26 AM  #31

rpm wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Like 5-10 years ago when everyone who needed an engine rebuild starting building a stroker because it only cost like $1,000 more.  Once cheap stroker kits came out the shine wore off the whole thing. 

1/11/2018 11:16 AM  #32

TKOPerformance wrote:

rpm wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Like 5-10 years ago when everyone who needed an engine rebuild starting building a stroker because it only cost like $1,000 more.  Once cheap stroker kits came out the shine wore off the whole thing. 

I dunno... still seems pretty shiny to me!

1/11/2018 4:47 PM  #33

Michael H. wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

rpm wrote:

Its better than stock displacement (unless that's paired with a blower or turbo).  Its just not shocking anymore.  30 years ago the only guys that had stroker motors were rich or serious.  They required custom cranks or welding and offset grinding, often paired with rod trickery (smaller journals, etc.).  20 years ago they started to become more commonplace as off the shelf cranks, rods, pistons, etc. became available, and offered in non-exotic materials.  Then shortly thereafter ready to run kits became available, already balanced, etc.  Today, expect for a restoration, if you were going to build an engine for any kind of performance use, so long as you budget can support the extra $1,000 I can't see why you wouldn't do it.

BUT, there are still strokers to be built from other engines like the FE, Cleavland, etc. that still peg the cool factor because fewer people even have those engines in stock displacement, let alone stroked.  They still peg the cool factor, whereas to me a SBF, SBC, etc. stroker just doesn't anymore.  I own two stroker SBFs and a stroker SBC so I'm not disparaging, just saying its not as bitchin as it used to be, or maybe the luster has worn off because I now own such engines so they can't be that cool because I can afford them...

1/11/2018 5:40 PM  #34

TKOPerformance wrote:

Michael H. wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Its better than stock displacement (unless that's paired with a blower or turbo).  Its just not shocking anymore.  30 years ago the only guys that had stroker motors were rich or serious.  They required custom cranks or welding and offset grinding, often paired with rod trickery (smaller journals, etc.).  20 years ago they started to become more commonplace as off the shelf cranks, rods, pistons, etc. became available, and offered in non-exotic materials.  Then shortly thereafter ready to run kits became available, already balanced, etc.  Today, expect for a restoration, if you were going to build an engine for any kind of performance use, so long as you budget can support the extra $1,000 I can't see why you wouldn't do it.

BUT, there are still strokers to be built from other engines like the FE, Cleavland, etc. that still peg the cool factor because fewer people even have those engines in stock displacement, let alone stroked.  They still peg the cool factor, whereas to me a SBF, SBC, etc. stroker just doesn't anymore.  I own two stroker SBFs and a stroker SBC so I'm not disparaging, just saying its not as bitchin as it used to be, or maybe the luster has worn off because I now own such engines so they can't be that cool because I can afford them...

Maybe you're just "rich-or-serious now"!?
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (1/11/2018 5:41 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/11/2018 10:19 PM  #35

TKOPerformance wrote:

30 years ago the only guys that had stroker motors were rich or serious.  They required custom cranks or welding and offset grinding, often paired with rod trickery (smaller journals, etc.). 

Well, then you'd really like my brother. 351w, 400m crank, Mopar rods ya ya 421ci. Crazy thing is, it looks just like my motor. But, I'm a vanilla kind of guy. Funny thing is, he wishes he'd have waited 10 months for a crank like mine to hit the market. Would've saved him a ton of work.

1/12/2018 5:38 AM  #36

6sally6 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Michael H. wrote:

Maybe you're just "rich-or-serious now"!?
6sal6

Then its serious, because if I'm rich we're all in trouble!

1/12/2018 5:42 AM  #37

rpm wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

30 years ago the only guys that had stroker motors were rich or serious.  They required custom cranks or welding and offset grinding, often paired with rod trickery (smaller journals, etc.). 

Well, then you'd really like my brother. 351w, 400m crank, Mopar rods ya ya 421ci. Crazy thing is, it looks just like my motor. But, I'm a vanilla kind of guy. Funny thing is, he wishes he'd have waited 10 months for a crank like mine to hit the market. Would've saved him a ton of work.

I do!  I remember reading about an engine like that years back.  They were trying to show that an M engine could be turned into a decent performance engine.  Started with a 400, offset ground the crank, used the Mopar or maybe Chevy rods and 340 pistons.  Topped with a set of Edelbrock Cleveland heads it made over 500HP.

1/12/2018 11:21 AM  #38

I remember reading in Pop Hot Rod about how this was done and made over 400 HP on 87 octane fuel! Used the MoPar rods I believe  and tricked out stock heads?!?! (Maybe?!) Anywho....they sure made it sound simple and bullet-proof.
Bob....tell me more about your "bro's"  set up and how it performs.
Looks like we are a little of topic butt.......also looks like we are the few that are on here, sooooo who's gonna complain?!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/12/2018 3:57 PM  #39

I plan to leave it a six...  How is that for vanilla?  All I want it to do is cruise around the hill country roads by the lake.  The exact same roads that rarely have speed limits exceeding 55 mph and seemingly ALWAYS have a Sheriff sitting around the next corner or over the next hill with his radar on.  And, since it already is equipped with a six, it will be really easy and cheap!  And Ramses said I could have the old 200 and 3-speed that came with the 68 coupe I sold him, both of which ran really well.

Plan for this car:
Nice paint and body
Nice original interior
Proper MustangSteve stance
8" disc brake rear end, any gear will work
11.2" 05-09 Mustang v6 front discs
Nice wheels and tires of conservative size
NO EXTRAS - keep it simple and easy to maintain
And, since it is a six, it has to have a REALLY QUIET MUFFLER to help drown out the six noises.
Power brakes
Doesn't need a top, as I will never put it up anyway.

Or, I might just sell it as is if anyone is interested.  Cheap!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/12/2018 7:20 PM  #40

MS wrote:

I plan to leave it a six...  How is that for vanilla?  All I want it to do is cruise around the hill country roads by the lake.  The exact same roads that rarely have speed limits exceeding 55 mph and seemingly ALWAYS have a Sheriff sitting around the next corner or over the next hill with his radar on.  And, since it already is equipped with a six, it will be really easy and cheap!  And Ramses said I could have the old 200 and 3-speed that came with the 68 coupe I sold him, both of which ran really well.

Plan for this car:
Nice paint and body
Nice original interior
And, since it is a six, it has to have a REALLY QUIET MUFFLER to help drown out the six noises.
Power brakes

Someone please bookmark, tab, file this "to do" list for comparison upon project completion date.........

1/13/2018 8:35 AM  #41

MS wrote:

Plan for this car:
Nice paint and body
Nice original interior
Power brakes

That's fine, so ,long as you hang twin turbos off it, or maybe twin turbos feeding into a roots style blower...

1/13/2018 8:36 AM  #42

red351 wrote:

I think what RPM said was a 400 crank in a Windsor 351. A 400 crank will fit the Windsor block, but after that you will be dam near broke trying to make it work.......

Possible, but they also made 351M engines, so hard to say.  The advantage to the M is tall deck height. 

1/13/2018 1:15 PM  #43

red351 wrote:

I think what RPM said was a 400 crank in a Windsor 351. A 400 crank will fit the Windsor block, but after that you will be dam near broke trying to make it work.......

Thanks Red. That was a correct comprehensive reading of my post.
Wasn't gonna reply as I figured this thread had been run of track enough. 

1/13/2018 2:53 PM  #44

rpm wrote:

red351 wrote:

Before the day of all the kits, the way to 400+ cu in was to remachine 400M crank/rod journals and front snout to 351W specs.  Rods are Chrysler Co. of some sort.  Don't remember the pistons used, but with a +0.030 over bore, one got 408 cu in.  The flywheel flange is the same.  I believe the balance is the same too.  In those days there were no aluminum heads, so breathing required significant porting and you wanted 69-70 heads.  They were the best SBF heads of the time.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/13/2018 5:24 PM  #45

MS wrote:

Plan for this car:
Nice paint and body
Nice original interior
etc.

Yep, here's some inspiration for you from "stanceiseverything.com":

1/14/2018 12:18 PM  #46

lowercasesteve wrote:

rpm wrote:

red351 wrote:

Before the day of all the kits, the way to 400+ cu in was to remachine 400M crank/rod journals and front snout to 351W specs.  Rods are Chrysler Co. of some sort.  Don't remember the pistons used, but with a +0.030 over bore, one got 408 cu in.  The flywheel flange is the same.  I believe the balance is the same too.  In those days there were no aluminum heads, so breathing required significant porting and you wanted 69-70 heads.  They were the best SBF heads of the time.

Yes!  That's when it required trickery and ingenuity, and thus was cool!  Probably required a reduced base circle cam and custom length pushrods too to prevent rod to cam contact.  Aftermarket rods solved that problem by going to capscrews.

1/14/2018 3:33 PM  #47

TKOPerformance wrote:

rpm wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

I do!  I remember reading about an engine like that years back.  They were trying to show that an M engine could be turned into a decent performance engine.  Started with a 400, offset ground the crank, used the Mopar or maybe Chevy rods and 340 pistons.  Topped with a set of Edelbrock Cleveland heads it made over 500HP.

It was Joe Sherman.   Mustang Monthly, or Mustang & Fords article in the late 90's.  Chrysler 360 rods.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

1/14/2018 7:51 PM  #48

That guy's a genius.  Won the Hot Rod Engine Masters Challenge numerous times.  I always liked reading about his builds.  You'd see cutting edge theory put into practice to great effect. 

1/15/2018 7:25 PM  #49

interesting  pop on a body and good to go

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mzc1WDUwMA==/z/p1EAAOxyUylTVjEJ/$_3.JPG?set_id=2[/img]

1/15/2018 8:53 PM  #50

I realize that's a chebby, Don, but is that really a crank hanging out of the frontend?

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.