FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/15/2018 11:37 AM  #1

Long overdue update - Time To "Upgrade"?

It's been a while since I posted ( http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=8621 ) and haven't had any real updates on the transmission due to my job being overwhelming. My original intent was to make a daily driver out of my 66 200ci coupe, nothing fast...nothing fancy. The setbacks I've encountered so far made me pause a bit and "call in the professional" . I pulled the engine and took it to a local machine shop to have it inspected. When I bought my mustang I was told the engine had been rebuilt professionally, but it has been sitting a few years and I wanted a thorough inspection before I went any further. 

Today I found out that the engine was rebuilt by an absolute hack and I'm lucky that it ran at all. In fact, the only engine they've seen that was WORSE was rebuilt by someone that accidentally left a crescent wrench inside the engine. Basically there aren't any usable parts inside my inline 6 and the machining needed would be extensive (just under $5k total for the rebuild). The guys at the machine shop felt really bad for me and couldn't stop apologizing for all the issues they found. 

After all is said and done...I think it's time to throw a V8 in it unless I can find an inline 6 in good condition. Which means the fuel line, clutch, T5, exhaust headers, fuel pump, water pump, etc...are all gonna be useless.

I'm really just venting more than anything...this is my first project car and although I'm having a lot of fun learning, it sure would be nice if something went right for once! The $100 to disassemble and inspect my engine was well worth the money...better to find out now than later when I'm cruising down the road. 

So....should I go ahead and throw a V8 in it?

1966 200ci Project car, converted to 5 lug w/ 8" 3.00 rear. Hopefully it'll drive one day...

10/15/2018 12:59 PM  #2

Re: Long overdue update - Time To "Upgrade"?

jptucker101 wrote:

...the only engine they've seen that was WORSE was rebuilt by someone that accidentally left a crescent wrench inside the engine...

If it were mine I'd swap in a low mileage junkyard roller-cam 302 and a T-5... but bear in mind that besides the engine parts that you mentioned you also need to swap front and rear springs, rear axle, front spindles, front and rear brakes, and wheels.

Last edited by Michael H. (10/15/2018 1:00 PM)

10/15/2018 1:06 PM  #3

I think that's probably the only positive aspect of my situation right now. I knew my suspension and steering was in bad shape to begin with. Everything you mentioned has already been replaced, instead of putting new L6 parts back on the car I went with V8 parts in case I ever wanted to swap to a V8. 

1966 200ci Project car, converted to 5 lug w/ 8" 3.00 rear. Hopefully it'll drive one day...

10/15/2018 1:59 PM  #4

In that case it would be a no-brainer for me... you've already handled the hard stuff.

10/15/2018 2:01 PM  #5

Agree on the 5.0..........look to harvest one from Ford Explorer, Mercury Mountaineer, Grand Marquee, etc....even' with high mileage, that engine will likely have little wear and as a result, will be less expensive to rebuild....Let us know what you find, we can help....

10/15/2018 4:51 PM  #6

I’m not really up to speed on V8’s so are there specific years I need to be looking for from the vehicles listed above? I know for the T5 I need to be looking at 1985-1993 transmissions...but what about engine years?

10/15/2018 5:18 PM  #7

Any 289(6 bolt bell housing)-302-5.0-351W engine will bolt up.  The "funky-Ford" stuff is the flywheel/balancer combinations. Typical Ford changed those around yearly like most guyz change sockz. All that stuff can easily be sorted out and bought  after market. THAT........is where a good web site(like this'un ) comes in very handy.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/16/2018 8:51 AM  #8

The later the year of the engine the better.  They got better and better as time went on.  The 5.0 H.O., debuted in '85 with a roller cam, but still carbed.  They got speed density EFI the following year and that ran '86-'88.  In '89 they got mass air.  In '94 there were some minor changes to the electronics of the EFI (fan control was added, and ODB1).  Then it gets hazy for me, because they stopped being used in the Mustang in '96.  At some point they became GT40 engines with better heads and intakes.  Then they became GT40P engines, which were even better.  They went to DIS at some point.  We had a Mountaineer that was a '98 I think that had the DIS system.  There's markings on the GT40 and Gt40P heads that identify them, but I'm not 100% sure what they are anymore.  Just Google it. 

The EFI stuff doesn't matter as much if you're going to swap to a carb.

On the T5 you just want a World Class one from a V8.  I've got a couple kicking around.  If you need one send me a PM. 

10/16/2018 9:44 AM  #9

1996 to mid 1997 explorer and mountaineers had GT40 heads.....these have three bars cast in the ends of the heads....see pic. 
Mid '97's and up had GT40P heads which sported 4 bars...see pic
Both are great donor vehicles to look for a 5.0......
As for the T5, google is your friend.  Gather info by searching for "T5 identification".......and do your research

10/16/2018 10:02 AM  #10

i think i'm good on the T5 identification, just need to figure out the correct engine. the pictures help tremendously. thanks!

10/16/2018 10:31 AM  #11

As TKO said the roller cam 302 started in 85 in the mustang.  I'm not sure about in other vehicles. I know that the truck engines didn't get a roller cam until about 94 or 95.

FYI if you can't find a local roller-cam 302 with the GT40 or GT40P heads there is a guy who sells rebuilt GT40 and GT40P heads on ebay for around $550 a pair.  Or, if you get an '87 or later 302 it should have E7 heads.  You can do some light port work on the exhaust side of the E7's (see link below) and improve them some with minimal effort and cost.  They won't be anywhere near as good as the GT40 or GT40P heads, but they'll be decent for a driver.

https://cdn.website.thryv.com/7fc8b09813234ba0b3c5e3c0a1b8c109/files/uploaded/Port%20Matching.pdf

Last edited by Michael H. (10/16/2018 10:33 AM)

10/18/2018 10:08 AM  #12

Yeah, the GT40/GT40P are going to be your best bang for the buck. 200K miles are nothing for these motors. I have a GT40P in my 66 and I’ll take a GT40P any day of the week, they run real well. I paid $450 for mine with the trans and all the EFI stuff. I sold off what I didn’t want for $175, net cost for it was $275. A friend of mine also with a 66, his 289 took a dump. I picked a GT40P at a local pink n pull for $280. $80 for the motor, $50 core charge and $100 for them to pull it out which was a steal. Originally he wanted a GT40 but every Explorer I looked at in the yard with a V8 was a GT40P. The last five years of 5.0 motors were GT40P’s.

Here’s a link to my GT40P install

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/1012953-got-my-gt40p-up-running-my-66-a.html

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

10/20/2018 8:23 AM  #13

Appreciate all the help and info! I paid a visit to the local pull-a-part this morning. Not much there, other than a 93 mustang GT that was completely rattled out. I honk Knoxville must be where 4.0L cars go to die, I only saw one 5.0 explorer with front end damage, and someone had already grabbed the heads off of it. I’m gonna keep looking, though. Thanks again everyone for the info, it helps tremendously!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.