FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2019 5:52 PM  #1

So, how is your BASH THRASH going?

Everyone driving to the bash always has a last minute list to get completed before heading out.  What is yours?

For my final session of the 2019 BASH THRASH, there is getting the dashboard back together, carb jetting, A/C purge and recharge, front end alignment and remove/reinstall the fold down rear seat and side panels, looking for that elusive 75mph vibration that persists after 27 years of ownership.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/11/2019 7:35 PM  #2

Re: So, how is your BASH THRASH going?

Spent the winter rebuilding the front end and alignment.  After driving it quite a bit I now plan to recheck camber and toe, set pressure on new tires, check AC discharge temp...it seems a bit high..., change the oil, gather up my usual supply of electrical/electronic parts and the tools to install them.  If time allows, I may smear on a fresh coat of Harley Wax against the onslaught of Michigan bugs we're sure to encounter.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/11/2019 8:08 PM  #3

Bob, those Colorado bugs my fan mulched up blasted all the paint off the front of my passenger side valve cover.  Henceforth and forever to be known as patina.

5/11/2019 11:55 PM  #4

Not in thrash mode just yet, but need to finish the rear side trim panels which will hold a couple of 6.5" speakers and 2" tweeters.

My boy and I just finished the door trim panels which took way too long to complete.

I too mounted my O2 gauge in the glove box. For as often as I use it, thought that was as good a choice of any.

Seeing how my home is at 400 foot elevation, guess I'll need to swap out the carb jets for driving the higher elevations.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/12/2019 6:14 AM  #5

Bob, what jets did you run when you came here for the FWB run?  It didn't seem to mind 11K feet on that trip.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

5/12/2019 9:54 AM  #6

Ya, that's what I thought also until I pulled the plugs and stuck a bore scope in the cylinder to look at the top of the pistons. It was running way too rich. 

The fact that the car ran reasonably well, didn't smell too much like unburnt fuel, but in reality deposited a bunch of carbon on the plugs and piston tops was the reason I installed an O2 sensor and gauge.  I don't recall the exact number,  but I dropped the primary jet size at least 4 sizes from the Ft Walton trip.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/12/2019 10:24 AM  #7

Well, if it ain't stumblin' or gettin' hot it likely ain't too lean.  If you get it just right at Bville it should be okay for the trip here and to Clinton, I would think.

OBTW, I like those door panels...

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (5/12/2019 10:25 AM)

5/13/2019 12:53 PM  #8

Finally got fed up with the T10's bad behavior.  Grabbed the T5 and associated stuff off the shelf and jumped in.  Should have the new d/s by Thursday.  All the other things on the Thrash List have moved down at least one notch....., due to the T5 swap WYAIT policies.....

5/17/2019 7:53 AM  #9

Still have to do the TMI sport seats in the 67. All the parts are in boxes but time seems to slip away. I have been having fun wrestling the 6speed and xfer case in the F250. Clutch time after 346,000 miles.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

5/17/2019 8:23 AM  #10

Yep after years of intermitent electrical problems, note split harnesss under console/rug  .  Now after this fix I can install new under dash ac unit and get charged up.  

Last edited by Don (5/17/2019 8:27 AM)

5/17/2019 10:33 AM  #11

Don, does this mean that fixed your oil leaks first? Or are you still going to be running Dynamic Anti-corrosion Mode on the Bash trip?

5/17/2019 11:48 AM  #12

TimC wrote:

Finally got fed up with the T10's bad behavior.  Grabbed the T5 and associated stuff off the shelf and jumped in.  Should have the new d/s by Thursday.  All the other things on the Thrash List have moved down at least one notch....., due to the T5 swap WYAIT policies.....

My T10 I had in my 69 Mustang sounded like an old Grain Truck Transmission.  When I switched to a t5 it was much quieter. 

5/17/2019 3:47 PM  #13

Hornman wrote:

Don, does this mean that fixed your oil leaks first? Or are you still going to be running Dynamic Anti-corrosion Mode on the Bash trip?

My GOAL IS TO HAVE A CAR THERE..  and I hope to see one of your Trophies there.     

5/17/2019 9:16 PM  #14

I got my dashboard back together finally!!!  Don, sure hope you get your ac in there. Don’t want to see a Honda in my rearview mirror all the way.

The new intermittent wipers work great. Thanks to all who had input into putting that together.

5/18/2019 10:16 AM  #15

MS wrote:

I got my dashboard back together finally!!! Don, sure hope you get your ac in there. Don’t want to see a Honda in my rearview mirror all the way.

The new intermittent wipers work great. Thanks to all who had input into putting that together.

I think you mean your windshield. I know you have bad vibrations and a history of spitting and sputtering.  I just don't understand how your car puts up with you.   

5/18/2019 4:42 PM  #16

MS wrote:

How fast is the motor?  My wipers in the down pour we had today would be unacceptable. Compared to my truck.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

5/18/2019 7:10 PM  #17

I have the same system in our 66 that MS just installed.  If you were on the cruise from Waxahache to Wimberley you may recall that it rained like a cow.....well, it rained really hard, and my wipers did a fine job at speed.

BB

5/19/2019 11:35 AM  #18

My wiper motor is from a 69, so probably same two speeds as your 70.  The original in my car was a single speed, so I think I can expect a huge improvement.

At least, an improvement in their historical performance. On the Colorado bash trip, coming off the Million Dollar Highway, we experienced blinding rain. I could not see the hood of my car, and my passenger side wiper blade kept sliding out of the wiper arm. And you could not shut the wipers off to fix it with the car running.  And Sherry got tired of hanging out the window to push it back in position!!!

So, this year I say.... Bring on the rain, baby!!!  I’m ready for you!

5/23/2019 4:28 PM  #19

it's alive  AC and LED headlights

And as can be seen, shop needs a good clean up,  

Last edited by Don (5/23/2019 4:31 PM)

5/23/2019 7:11 PM  #20

The car looks great, Don, and so does the Shop.  Not like certain so-called work spaces we've seen pix of in SoCal.  Your's is obviously a space where actual work gets done.  LOL

See ya soonly.  Have a safe trip.

BB

5/24/2019 9:39 AM  #21

Yaa Don, looking good!

5/24/2019 10:37 AM  #22

Looking good Don.

Sheryl broke my 52 year old window crank assembly!! Time to instal the power window kit I bought last year.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (5/24/2019 10:38 AM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/24/2019 1:44 PM  #23

I thought my Bash Thrash was done back in February.  Well, maybe not so.  Last summer the heap started doing an occasional stumble and a couple of times it just plain shut off.  Always restarted immediately and the way it acted I thought it was maybe a little water in the tank so while I had it in the shop for the front end rebuild last winter I drained/flushed the tank and raised the fuel pickup an inch...had it right in the bottom of the sump.

Put it back on the road in the spring and it seemed to be great.  Ran it all over and took in on a couple of 100 + mile trips with no issues.  The other day the gremlin came back...died as I was pulling in the garage.  Re-started, ran for about 5 second and died again.  Re-started and ran for about 10 minutes 'til I shut it down and went in the house. 

So now I'm chasing possible electrical snipes.  Found a very loose terminal on the socket for the EEC relay which may have been the bug.  Right now I'm driving it every chance I get to see if it acts up again.

If I ever do another car it will STONE STOCK right down to the rusty floors and four-wheel drum brakes with the fruit jar MC.  

I'M NOT KIDDIN'.

BB

5/24/2019 8:14 PM  #24

Bullet Bob wrote:

I thought my Bash Thrash was done back in February.  Well, maybe not so.  Last summer the heap started doing an occasional stumble and a couple of times it just plain shut off.  Always restarted immediately and the way it acted I thought it was maybe a little water in the tank so while I had it in the shop for the front end rebuild last winter I drained/flushed the tank and raised the fuel pickup an inch...had it right in the bottom of the sump.

Put it back on the road in the spring and it seemed to be great.  Ran it all over and took in on a couple of 100 + mile trips with no issues.  The other day the gremlin came back...died as I was pulling in the garage.  Re-started, ran for about 5 second and died again.  Re-started and ran for about 10 minutes 'til I shut it down and went in the house. 

So now I'm chasing possible electrical snipes.  Found a very loose terminal on the socket for the EEC relay which may have been the bug.  Right now I'm driving it every chance I get to see if it acts up again.

If I ever do another car it will STONE STOCK right down to the rusty floors and four-wheel drum brakes with the fruit jar MC.  

I'M NOT KIDDIN'.

BB

Butt BOB!!!........."The cam boss.....the CAM!!!!!"
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/24/2019 8:19 PM  #25

6sally6 wrote:

Butt BOB!!!........."The cam boss.....the CAM!!!!!"
6s6

SCRU'T....Stock cam, stock heads, 289 with a 2bbl and a  C4!!

BB

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.