FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2019 5:54 PM  #51

Re: So, how is your BASH THRASH going?

Discovered an UGLY condition today.  Apparently during one of the many times I've had the Heap up in the air since it went back on the road in '15 I managed to mash a couple of tubes.  Namely, the 5/16 line for fuel return to the tank and the 3/16 brake line to the rear end. 
Not quite sure how this happened but it did.  So, I spent this afternoon fabing up a couple of new lines....always sumpin'.

See y'all in a week.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/11/2019 6:05 PM  #52

Good catch Bob.  I ain't saying nuttin other than I'm happy about my car for fear of a jinx. I am going to drive it up to Fresno tomorrow and return on Friday. Heading to Pebble Beach for 2 days of US Open golf.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

6/11/2019 6:44 PM  #53

We're sitting in an airport in Detroit, on our way to the Bash  ... are we just a bit early?

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

6/11/2019 7:19 PM  #54

I have 6 days to get the new seat foam and upholstery installed in the Bucket of Bolts. I guess I could lead the pack in our "new to us" Chebby SSR. Just kidding folks.....

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

6/12/2019 6:30 AM  #55

rpm wrote:

Good catch Bob. I ain't saying nuttin other than I'm happy about my car for fear of a jinx. I am going to drive it up to Fresno tomorrow and return on Friday. Heading to Pebble Beach for 2 days of US Open golf.

See ya on Sunday, Bob, unless you get here on Saturday.

Barry:  If you are that early you could rent a car, drive down here, and cruise back up with us.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

6/12/2019 6:35 AM  #56

RV6 wrote:

I have 6 days to get the new seat foam and upholstery installed in the Bucket of Bolts. I guess I could lead the pack in our "new to us" Chebby SSR. Just kidding folks.....

Like I keep sayin', Gary, it the gittin' there that counts.  If I find any more on the Heap that need attention there's a good chance I'll be driving the "Kia".

BB

6/12/2019 8:09 AM  #57

Bullet Bob wrote:

See ya on Sunday, Bob, unless you get here on Saturday.
BB

It'll be Sunday,  doing Fathers Day on Saturday.

6/12/2019 10:43 AM  #58

rpm wrote:

Good catch Bob.  I ain't saying nuttin other than I'm happy about my car for fear of a jinx. I am going to drive it up to Fresno tomorrow and return on Friday. Heading to Pebble Beach for 2 days of US Open golf.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Pebble Beach!!  Are you IN the tournament (or is that tourniquet?)
You go "Bow'eeeee"!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/12/2019 4:30 PM  #59

My bash thrash is complete, unless something else breaks between now and Monday morning.
After I had the dash all back together and everything working, the headlight switch decided to fry. I think it was caused by the yellow horn switch wire shorting out in the steering column. The grant steering wheel adapter had gotten a bit enlarged from tightening it numerous times and it pulled down tight enough to make the horn contact hit the column and short out when the wheel eas turned “just so”.
New headlight switch
New Ford turn signal switch
New steering wheel adapter.

All that after I thought the Bash Thrash was over last weekend...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/12/2019 4:38 PM  #60

Got the mashed pipes replaced and spent the day fighting a IF fitting that was determined to leak even though I made two fresh flares with my super Eastwood flaring tool....never has had a bad IF and I finally replace the fitting and was able to make it seal.  That spent the afternoon and me too.  This ain't near as much fun as it was when I was only 70.
Final test drive tomorrow and hopefully will declare it ready to go.

One way or the other we'll see alla youse in a week.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (6/12/2019 4:39 PM)

6/12/2019 4:46 PM  #61

Yep drivers seat bottom/ side boster  went flat TMI is overnighting me new foam   fun seat work 

Last edited by Don (6/12/2019 4:48 PM)

6/13/2019 10:36 AM  #62

Do all of you enjoy this as much as I do?  The challenge and satisfaction of getting these old relics in shape for a long road trip is very rewarding. Then, the collective exchange of information and viewing of each others’ workmanship at the bash is a very enjoyable experience, even if something has to be remedied along the way.

This makes the bash an experience I really look forward to every year.  Yes, seeing everyone is fantastic. The idea that we all take the time to do this is very humbling to me. This is sixteen years in a row!!!

How many bashes have you been to?  Those who have not attended yet are missing out!

6/13/2019 12:21 PM  #63

MS wrote:

Do all of you enjoy this as much as I do? The challenge and satisfaction of getting these old relics in shape for a long road trip is very rewarding. Then, the collective exchange of information and viewing of each others’ workmanship at the bash is a very enjoyable experience, even if something has to be remedied along the way.

How many bashes have you been to? Those who have not attended yet are missing out!

Started browsing the MS website in 2005, and finally made it to the Franklin TN Bash in 2013 (in the "Kia"). Made the Vandalia Bash in 2014, Wimberly in 2015 (in the rented "Kia"), and Montrose in 2016 (in the "Kia"). Missed '17 & '18, and really looking forward to 2019 in Michigan with BobC.  I enjoy the work in the shop, but get intimidated by a solo road trip in a 54 year old unrestored car.   I envy those that have groups to travel with.  The gatherings demonstrate high levels of craftsmanship and ingenuity, but the welcoming hospitality of the folks at each Bash is truly amazing and energizing.  Losing motivation on your car?  Think you're the only one? Think you can't come without a Mustang? Think your Mustang isn't nice enough?  Think again.... Come to the Bash!!!

6/13/2019 12:38 PM  #64

Five days till we caravan to the bash and she's still up on the stands.

6/13/2019 12:50 PM  #65

Read about the bash in '09 and told Jean it didn't matter where it was going to be in '10...we were going!
Went to Bash Seven in '10 and have been to all since except last year...Bash 15.  That makes eight so far and I proudly list all the places the Heap has been...including the top of Pike's Peak in '11...whenever anyone asks if we drive it much.

Just drove the Heap about 60 miles "at speed" and all seems okay after messing with the alignment and mashed pipes.  It's got new boots, a full tank 'o gas, fresh oil, the Vintage Air AC blows 39 degrees, and I'm hereby declaring it "Bash Ready".

Everything MS says up above times 10.

BB

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (6/13/2019 12:56 PM)

6/13/2019 1:16 PM  #66

"... and told Jean it didn't matter where it was going to be in '10...we were going!"

Really, you told her?  I know what happens when I "tell" my wife something like that! LOL

Hope to meet all of you in Michigan!  Safe travels to all.

Novi Rick

6/13/2019 4:31 PM  #67

My AC was only putting out 48 degree air, so I hooked up the gauges and the high side connection bled the system to zero.  With time running out, I took it to a local place that does a lot of Vintage Air work.  He pulled vacuum and refilled it and got.... 48 degree air.   That is just not cold enough to do the job.  I talked to Vintage air and they said normal expectation was 39 -45.  Took the car back and they called me this morning saying they got it to 42 degrees.  Shop owner said they added about 8 ounces of Freon to get the 42 degree reading.  THAT will cool the car, BUT, when I went and picked it up, it would only make 70 degree air.  So...they are keeping it overnight and will redo it.  There is no leak in the system.   I gave them the phone number of Mark at Vintage Air, who said he would walk them through getting it right.  The shop said they tried calling twice and could not get through.  So, tomorrow is FRIDAY, and the shop is not open on the weekends.  I head out for MI on Monday morning.

Like everything else on the car, I may have to do it myself and will probably have a better chance of getting it right.
Will let you know tomorrow how it turns out...

6/13/2019 4:45 PM  #68

Novi Rick wrote:

"... and told Jean it didn't matter where it was going to be in '10...we were going!"

Really, you told her?  I know what happens when I "tell" my wife something like that! LOL

Hope to meet all of you in Michigan!  Safe travels to all.

Novi Rick

She knew it was coming, Rick.  We bought the car to cruise and meet some new friends and man has that worked out well.

BB

6/13/2019 4:48 PM  #69

MS wrote:

Do all of you enjoy this as much as I do? The challenge and satisfaction of getting these old relics in shape for a long road trip is very rewarding. Then, the collective exchange of information and viewing of each others’ workmanship at the bash is a very enjoyable experience, even if something has to be remedied along the way.

This makes the bash an experience I really look forward to every year. Yes, seeing everyone is fantastic. The idea that we all take the time to do this is very humbling to me. This is sixteen years in a row!!!
How many bashes have you been to? Those who have not attended yet are missing out!

Carolyn and I managed to get the drivers seat rebuilt today. My hands and fingers are worn out from stretching vinyl and forcing hog rings were I want them to go. C wanted to do the drivers seat first as she thinks hers will come out better. 

When I'm not bleeding I do enjoy getting the last pieces together for the bash.

Our first bash was Montrose in 2016. The furthest away from home our 67 had ever been. Fort Walton Beach the next year, followed by Glen Rose, TX in 2018. So the 2019 Bash in Clinton will be our 4th Bash. 

While driving the bucket of bolts across the country rocks I think we would still attend even if we had to drive the SSR. A great bunch of people.

6/13/2019 6:46 PM  #70

I missed last year because of a hurricane..............at MY house!
I've been to (most)all of the bashes since BILLY WALTON hosted in Carrollton, Ga. (Drove my hot rod to MOST of them.
Jacksonville, Ill./Vandalia Ill is the further-ist(dat a word?)  Houston Tx/Dallas Tx a couple times.
  Most trouble I had was in Ft. Walton Beach, Fla. 2 years ago. Gosh-awful trip butt............still fun!!
A few of those Bases I soloed most of the way.
Flying in early this time to do-the-tourist-thang.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/14/2019 12:46 PM  #71

Picked up the car from having the AC worked on.  It was only 75 outside this morning, but I was able to get it really cold in the car.  Gonna call it good to go.  Car is now on the W-LIST...  Working... Like Its Supposed To.

Fingers crossed.  Heading out to Dallas Monday morning.

6/14/2019 12:53 PM  #72

MS wrote:

Picked up the car from having the AC worked on.  It was only 75 outside this morning, but I was able to get it really cold in the car.  Gonna call it good to go.  Car is now on the W-LIST...  Working... Like Its Supposed To.

Fingers crossed.  Heading out to Dallas Monday morning.

The temps have been in the high 60s to low 70s in the Midwest most of May and June.  You might not even have to turn on you AC up this way.  

6/14/2019 2:16 PM  #73

The TMI seat conversion is done! Never again will I stretch vinyl over those frames again. With the thicker cushions and large bolsters I really need to drop the seat pan to ease entry/egress from the drivers seat. A winter project for sure.

I did a final check on the "Bucket of Bolts" and the reverse lights are not working. A quick check of the connection to the switch on the side of the tranny looked good. Maybe the switch went bad. Anyway, not gonna get fixed before we leave as there is to much other stuff needing my attention.  RPM would probably like clean sheets to sleep on/under, Bullet too. I need to pack, smoke a brisket, paint the house, fix the top on the SSR, wash the Bucket of Bolts, pack tools for others (if needed) and and mow the east 40. 

MS; RPM and I are traveling sans AC.

6/15/2019 1:11 AM  #74

RV6 wrote:

MS; RPM and I are traveling sans AC.

Yes we are Gary. Don't know how smart it is, but we are. Returned from Monterey today via Fresno in the 69. Averaged 20 mph, and she ran great in the 97° heat, but kinda wore me out.

I foolishly waited till the 69 was driveable before attending the 2017 Bash in Ft Waton Beach. Showed up last year w/o the Mach 1 and had a blast. This year will be my third Bash.

And yes Steve, I really enjoy the last week thrashing that occurs, along with the other fixes done throughout the year.

6/15/2019 7:24 AM  #75

DONE   Car is ready   New seat sport seat bottom foam installed

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.