FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2019 8:45 AM  #1

Stretched metal on 66 mustang hood

the hood on my 66 mustang was damaged years ago by closing hood with something on the air cleaner. So there was a bump protruding up on hood surface. tired to Block and hammer back into shape but resulted in oil canning effect. Is there a easy to shrink metal that I can do at home. I do not have a touch.

7/21/2019 9:07 AM  #2

Re: Stretched metal on 66 mustang hood

You need heat to shrink metal.

Trev's blog has a good video on shrinking with simple tools.

https://youtu.be/J1liRlo4FjU

7/21/2019 6:47 PM  #3

Thanks for video link. Worth a try

7/23/2019 7:23 PM  #4

You could try a hair dryer on hot and wet rag   
get it hot then wipe with rag  repeat   
til it shrinks"  watch out not to shrink  to much "

Last edited by Vkt-66 (7/23/2019 7:24 PM)

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

8/25/2019 12:29 PM  #5

Shrinking will help theres many methods. If you have the hood straight. Then try using a slapping spoon on the hood slightly tap the hood.

Another method head the metal to straw color and 800 degrees have a dolly or spoon pressing on the back side of the hood on the dent. Then use a wet rag and quench the metal. The pressure will usually make the metal stiffin and the water will lock the metal grain structure and should help the restore tension balance. If not you can retry this process and use more heat and heat the metal hotter then quench.

A dent Master is a autobody mans friend. These can be had for cheap. They are a two in one a dent puller and an electric shrinker.

4/22/2022 5:17 PM  #6

Also could try ray scheline I think is how you spell it. Its an attachment for a grinder that shrinks metal. Havent ever tried one but a metal fab guy I worked with used one every so often. Above heat and shrink method works well.

4/23/2022 10:15 AM  #7

True74yamaha wrote:

Also could try ray scheline I think is how you spell it. Its an attachment for a grinder that shrinks metal. Havent ever tried one but a metal fab guy I worked with used one every so often. Above heat and shrink method works well.

I picked one of those up and had pretty decent luck on my rear quarter panel. I'll try to find pictures.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.