FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/06/2019 10:44 PM  #26

Re: Gauges set up

Would the black carbon fiber blend in with the standard black glove compartment door?
Maybe the bezel can be painted black?

Last edited by Stevo (9/06/2019 10:46 PM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

9/06/2019 10:47 PM  #27

9/06/2019 11:18 PM  #28

I think Chaplin's is the winner for me. I like the way the two main gauges are in the center and then the other gauges are around the two main gauges. I think that is the ideal look I am after.
Chaplin, would you know if the hole sizes in the bezel are standard, or do you have to go with specific gauges?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

9/06/2019 11:20 PM  #29

That is about what it costs to put in the Speed Hut gauges. Quality and custom features cost money. Of course, the quality gauges tend to read accurately too.

9/07/2019 5:42 AM  #30

Stevo wrote:

I think Chaplin's is the winner for me. I like the way the two main gauges are in the center and then the other gauges are around the two main gauges. I think that is the ideal look I am after.
Chaplin, would you know if the hole sizes in the bezel are standard, or do you have to go with specific gauges?

The bezel takes standard sized gauges. The holes for the 2 large gauges are 3 3/8" and the holes for the small gauges take gauges that are  2 1/16" or 2 1/8" (depends on gauge brand).

There are other 6-gauge bezels that come in black or camera case finish, but they all seem to have the gauges in a straight line instead of staggered like the MTF bezel. I think the look of the staggered gauges is a little more interesting, but I think the 6-gauges in a straight line is still a big improvement over stock.

If you want a black bezel, I think this (or something like this- this one is nice, but very spendy) would be perfect.  The first link below looks closest in appearance to my set up.

https://www.stang-aholics.com/i-24187602-65-66-mustang-billet-aluminum-6-gauge-panel-polished-w-camera-insert.html

Street or Track offers one too.
https://www.streetortrack.com/1965-66-Mustang-Custom-6-Hole-Instrument-Bezel-Black-pr-24709.html

A less expensive version
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Gauges/Custom-Instrument-Cluster-Bezels/6-Gauge-Custom-Dash-Instrument-Bezel-Black-1965-1966-Mustang.axd

You may find some others with some more googling.

9/07/2019 5:47 AM  #31

Stevo wrote:

Would the black carbon fiber blend in with the standard black glove compartment door?
Maybe the bezel can be painted black?

I just took a look at MTF's website and the carbon fiber is a gray carbon fiber- I don't think that's what you want.  You should give Rich at MTF a call and ask him about painting one- I am sure it can be done.  He can tell you what paint to use and he might even be able to paint one for you.

9/08/2019 8:11 AM  #32

My car had pony interior originally.
New replacement gauge panel.
Customized to my idea of modern.
No Tachometer.
Budget friendly too.
My car is not restored.
It’s your car, modify to your desire.
BillyC has a nice setup too.

Last edited by Nos681 (9/08/2019 8:29 AM)

9/08/2019 10:02 PM  #33

Nos681 wrote:

My car had pony interior originally.
New replacement gauge panel.
Customized to my idea of modern.
No Tachometer.
Budget friendly too.
My car is not restored.
It’s your car, modify to your desire.
BillyC has a nice setup too.

That's real nice Billy and I love how it blends in with the whole dash.

9/08/2019 10:03 PM  #34

Chaplin wrote:

I just took a look at MTF's website and the carbon fiber is a gray carbon fiber- I don't think that's what you want. You should give Rich at MTF a call and ask him about painting one- I am sure it can be done. He can tell you what paint to use and he might even be able to paint one for you.

I think this is a great idea Chaplin. I will contact them and see if they can paint one black. Thanks!

9/09/2019 5:19 AM  #35

Yeah, I really like the look of that setup.  Looks like it came that way from the factory, which is always my goal when doing stuff on my car. 

9/09/2019 2:46 PM  #36

I would like to insert a comment. 

I have two large gauges - speedo & tach - on my '15GT.  I had to adjust the wheel up more than I like because my hands obscured part of each gauge.  the speedo was covered from above 60mph and the tach below about 4,000 rpm.  So I had to move my head around to see them, which is not the best way to drive.  I mostly drive with hands at 10-2.  9-3 is better but less comfortable - My hands slide up back to 10-2.  I don't like looking down to the tach and only seeing my thumbs.

A stock steering wheel is usually larger than the new ones we install, so there is not as much of a problem there.

So, my recommendation is that you verify gauge visibility when you go to double gauges and a smaller wheel.  No point in having that beautiful gauge cluster and then find you can't see it!

Last edited by lowercasesteve (9/09/2019 2:47 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

9/09/2019 7:29 PM  #37

Based on the position of the wheel that's comfortable for me on tilt column equipped cars I can never see the tops of my speedo or tach.  My Mustang with a non tilt wheel is the one exception in my fleet!

Hey, when the cop asks me if I know how fast I was going I'm not lying when I say "no".

9/10/2019 11:45 AM  #38

http://www.hyepo.com/HyePo-G22-Comp-II-Black-on-Black_p_74.html

Here’s what I have in my 65 GT. Some of the bash folks have seen it first hand. Works great with my tilt steering. Gauges are made in America 🇺🇸 Very nice to have tach & speedo side by side + easy to see 😉

Life is too short to drive a boring car😎

9/10/2019 1:23 PM  #39

Jwarley wrote:

Here’s what I have in my 65 GT.

That's a great price for that set up John! And that bezel is made down the road from me.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/10/2019 4:58 PM  #40

Jwarley wrote:

Here’s what I have in my 65 GT. Some of the bash folks have seen it first hand. Works great with my tilt steering. Gauges are made in America 🇺🇸 Very nice to have tach & speedo side by side + easy to see 😉

Hey, I like this as another option too. USA made is always a win in my books too.
Are you able to post a picture of it installed? I have a standard steering column with standard steering wheel. Will visibility be an issue?

9/10/2019 7:15 PM  #41

Stevo wrote:

Jwarley wrote:

Hey, I like this as another option too. USA made is always a win in my books too.
Are you able to post a picture of it installed? I have a standard steering column with standard steering wheel. Will visibility be an issue?

I’ll try to post a pic hopefully tomorrow or next day but have not had any success since tiny pic went away. I have a Grant steering wheel with Ididit tilt column. PM your email and maybe then for sure I can send that pic.

Life is too short to drive a boring car😎

9/10/2019 8:19 PM  #42

Dakota Digital Gauges in my 69 Mustang that I installed this last spring. 

9/11/2019 11:06 PM  #43

I’ve never really considered a non-stock gage panel as I just like the stock look, but that Dakota Digital RTX panel in aqua lighting just got my attention.  Niiiiiiiiice.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

9/12/2019 6:20 PM  #44

well when I figure out how to get the pic in here You can see my 65 gauge set.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

9/12/2019 6:22 PM  #45

well that went well?

Last edited by Cab4word67 (9/12/2019 6:23 PM)

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

9/12/2019 8:44 PM  #46

Cab4word67, when I right click, view image, your pic displays. Nice!

Last edited by 50vert (9/12/2019 8:46 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

9/12/2019 9:48 PM  #47

Is this site not WIN10 compliant?  I have wanted to share many pics with all of you and still cant figure it out

9/13/2019 5:10 AM  #48

I run Windows 10.  No issues.

9/13/2019 8:22 PM  #49

free craps game

My 66 one-off gauges.  Only regret is the difference in light color even though all same brand and bought at same time

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/13/2019 10:12 PM  #50

MS wrote:

free craps game

My 66 one-off gauges.  Only regret is the difference in light color even though all same brand and bought at same time

That's really nice Steve. Did you have a night time picture so we can better see what you mean?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.