FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2021 11:52 AM  #1

65 FB 5 liter conversion will not start

65 FB 5 liter conversion will not start. Donor was 92 GT, project done 10 yrs ago. Has run well with only one problem due to bad coil connector on Scott-Drake harness. Recently parked in garage and a week or so later would not start. Ignition checked OK. Also noted that the fuel pump did not run when ignition turned on, but did run when a terminal shorted at the EEC connector. Instead of "stalling" the pump continued to run. Could hear fuel returning to tank. Suspected no fuel pressure. Changed pressure regulator on fuel rail. Still no fuel pressure. What am I missing?

1/18/2021 12:48 PM  #2

Re: 65 FB 5 liter conversion will not start

How old is the TANK?!......Could be the filter/sock is clogged.
Welcome to the best FoMoCo site on the web!! (we don't beat-you-up-for-dumb-questions....
cause there ain't none!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/18/2021 1:20 PM  #3

One:  are you sure the pump isn't running on start.  It will only run for about a second and a half to get pressure to the injectors if the PCM is right.  It has to sense RPM to turn the pump back on after start.

Two:  I agree with Sal, make sure the pump is actually moving some fuel.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/18/2021 1:26 PM  #4

If the fuel pump isn't running with the switch on, maybe a bad contact in the ignition switch, this may also not be sending power to the ignition system. 
Do you have spark?
I'd invest in a fuel pressure gauge to verify the correct pressure you do have.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/18/2021 1:52 PM  #5

BobE wrote:

If the fuel pump isn't running with the switch on, maybe a bad contact in the ignition switch, this may also not be sending power to the ignition system. 
Do you have spark?...(Got far?!!  one of the 3 things needed to achieve combustion!)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/18/2021 2:38 PM  #6

Just to be clear, it cranks, but does not start correct?

1/18/2021 4:59 PM  #7

BobE wrote:

Do you have spark?

X2 on this.

1/18/2021 5:34 PM  #8

When you place jumper at diagnostic connector, fuel pump will run continuously until removed.
If fuel pump runs, that circuit is ok.  Just need to verify pressure builds up at fuel rail.

Can you pull codes?

Last edited by Nos681 (1/18/2021 5:36 PM)

2/01/2021 10:48 AM  #9

Turns out it was the ECM. Started right up when replaced.

2/01/2021 11:03 AM  #10

Being back on the road is a good thing!

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/01/2021 11:26 AM  #11

'preciate you coming back on to report the good newz!!
Com'on back now, ya he're!!
6sally6

2/01/2021 1:31 PM  #12

houckml@yahoo.com wrote:

Turns out it was the ECM. Started right up when replaced.

You must be Lance's Daddy-in-law.  That is a very nice car you have there.  Glad you guys got it going again.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.