FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2016 8:54 AM  #1

Will steves rear disc conversion work on explorer 8.8 axle?

Hello I have a 65 mustang coupe with the explorer 8.8. It was already there when I purchased the car. Previous owner that did the conversion used a drum brake axle setup.. I would like to use steves 05-14 rear disc conversion as I did it for the front and liked it a lot, but was wondering if it would work with the explorer axle or does it only work for the 8 and 9 inch axles. ive searched the forum but was unable to find out well Thxs anyways any input is appreciated

10/31/2016 5:24 PM  #2

Re: Will steves rear disc conversion work on explorer 8.8 axle?

I have not personally done it, but I have some Ford brackets that are for 2005-2014 Mustang rear discs on the explorer 8.8" rear.

If you buy a set of new Ford disc brakes from blueoval industries on ebay for $239 shipped, they come with those brackets, the calipers, pads and rotors.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/31/2016 6:01 PM  #3

ok I'll definitely look it to that..thanks

1/25/2021 7:25 AM  #4

I am resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has definitively answered this question yet?   A 3.73 LS Explorer rear end  has popped up for sale locally and I am considering picking it up and using it on the next project.

Edit-

And a related question....

Can anyone confirm what size wheels you can use with either the Explorer factory discs or the 05-14 rear discs? 

I am thinking about keeping this project on 15"' wheels- either steelies with dog dish hub caps or Magnum 500s.

Last edited by Chaplin (1/25/2021 10:24 AM)

1/25/2021 10:09 AM  #5

With 15" wheels you can get by with 11.5" rotors.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/25/2021 4:42 PM  #6

lowercasesteve wrote:

With 15" wheels you can get by with 11.5" rotors.

Thanks!

And that brings me to anothe question...

MS-
Do you offer any front disc conversion brackets for use with the 11.5" front rotors that came on the 05-14 base V6 cars?  I looked through the website, but didn't see them but maybe I missed them.

Probably not as much demand for the smaller rotors as there is for the larger GT rotors, but it would make for an easy way to upgrade brakes and keep a 15" front wheel.

1/25/2021 10:26 PM  #7

The GT2008-FT brackets had a recent redesign so they also fit the 11.2” 05-14 front brakes.  They fit 11.2”, 12.5” and 13.2” front brakes from 2005-2014 Mustangs.

But, I tested the 11.2” brakes on a 15” wheel and it was a no-go. You need at least a 16” wheel for the 11.2” front discs.

I have not tested the rears.

The kit previously mentioned from Blue Oval Industries (if still available) is designed to provide everything needed to install 2005-2014 Mustang rear discs on Explorer 8.8” read ends having factory drum brakes. Parking brake cables and hoses are not included.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/26/2021 6:31 AM  #8

Thanks, Steve.  Appreciate the info.

16" steelies are a possibility, but If I want to stay with 15s it sounds like my only options that will fit will be a factory style Kelsey Hayes or I think Wilwood makes a kit (Dynalite?) that will work with 15s. 

Are there other options that I'm not aware of?

Edit-
It looks like Street or Track makes a front kit that works with 15" wheels too but they are a bit too spendy.

Last edited by Chaplin (1/26/2021 6:37 AM)

1/26/2021 11:17 PM  #9

Chaplin wrote:

Thanks, Steve. Appreciate the info.

16" steelies are a possibility, but If I want to stay with 15s it sounds like my only options that will fit will be a factory style Kelsey Hayes or I think Wilwood makes a kit (Dynalite?) that will work with 15s.

Are there other options that I'm not aware of?

Edit-
It looks like Street or Track makes a front kit that works with 15" wheels too but they are a bit too spendy.

Sorry about the 11.5" misinformation.  I looked at my wheels back in my 15" days and there was plenty of excess room when the K-H's were on there.

As to steelies - They do not make a 16' OEM steel wheel - at least I have found none after looking at over a half dozen wheel sites, even talking with some of the people. (But you might be able to get 17's)  I made do with the smoothies that use moon hubcaps.  The ones that take '49 Merc hubcaps do not come with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern.  I prefer steel to any aluminum I have seen.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/27/2021 8:48 AM  #10

I had the Crown Vic 16" steelies in mind, but just went and looked and them again and realized that they have holes around the perimeter of the face of the wheel, which would not be the look I am going for!

1/27/2021 5:59 PM  #11

I was able to put some 15" torque thrust d's on the falcon. I was told that the conversion required 16" wheels. the rear disc's where from a Lincoln. I bought the kit ultra stang , I think. my point is sometimes wheels will fit just depends how they were made.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.