FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2021 4:35 AM  #1

Emblem paint for faded emblems

I've had the set of emblems on my car probably 15 years now. The other day I was looking at the Mustang one on the lower fender and it seems that the red and blue have faded. The chrome on them still seems good, but the paint is faded. I am wondering if there is a paint that you can get to freshen these up, or is it better to just buy a new set? The biggest concern that I have with buying a new set is damaging the paintwork when removing the ones from the car.
I also wonder about painting the black portion of the 289 front fender emblem in a red just for something different and I think it would look better.
Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? Thanks.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

1/24/2021 6:50 AM  #2

Re: Emblem paint for faded emblems

I use Testors modeling enamel to repaint the lettering on my gas cap and the black areas on the 66 fake side scoops.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/24/2021 9:43 AM  #3

I did the same as Bullet, testers model paint worked great!

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

1/24/2021 10:56 AM  #4

Thanks for the reminder Roberto, I need to paint the stripes on my gas cap.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/24/2021 11:12 AM  #5

Testors has been my go to for painting emblems since I was a kid.  It was an easy transition from building model cars to real ones.  I first used it on an A-T6 Texan my neighbor and I restored while I was in middle school.  He knew I had a steady hand and was good with that stuff so he asked me to paint all the raised and recessed lettering on the various controls in the cockpit.  I used a couple different colors and it came out so well that he won an award at one of the air shows.

I'd get a basic kit with a bunch of colors in it and you can mix as needed to get an exact match. 

1/24/2021 1:52 PM  #6

I just get the color of rattle can paint I want and squirt some in the cap!! Works as good as any

I had a guy come up to me today and was talking about how brave I was driving a K-CODE Mustang around everywhere! He was pointing to the Hi-Po emblem on the fender. (Had to tell him the truth BUTT it does look kinda 'vintage' with the faded paint....gonna hafta re-do them after 4 years of use.)
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (1/24/2021 1:55 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/24/2021 9:16 PM  #7

Sheryl used finger nail polish on the gas cap!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/24/2021 10:35 PM  #8

Bolted to Floor wrote:

Sheryl used finger nail polish on the gas cap!!

Maybe I'll hold off on mine John and have your painter spiffy up my gas cap at the MSBB in May.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/25/2021 6:00 AM  #9

Brave for driving a K-code?  What the #$%^ else would you do with it?  Sit it in a garage and dust it off every week?  Cars are built to be driven.  If you can afford to own it; you can afford to fix it if it gets wrecked.  There is NOTHING too valuable to drive.  People like that drive me nuts. 

1/25/2021 6:32 AM  #10

Thanks guys!
So it sounds like I am not nuts for wanting to touch up the emblems that are on the car then vs removing them and replacing them...

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

1/25/2021 12:32 PM  #11

Toploader wrote:

Thanks guys!
So it sounds like I am not nuts for wanting to touch up the emblems that are on the car then vs removing them and replacing them...

Prolly  new ones won't hold up any better than 'touched-up' ones!  Stuff is junk now-a-days!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/25/2021 4:14 PM  #12

6sally6 wrote:

Toploader wrote:

Thanks guys!

Prolly new ones won't hold up any better than 'touched-up' ones! Stuff is junk now-a-days!!
6sal6

Without a doubt.

4/02/2021 7:32 PM  #13

Here's an update on me touching up my emblems on the car. Glad I did it and I went with red below the 289 for something different. The red made sense to me as it ties in with the red on other trim pieces.

4/02/2021 7:52 PM  #14

Looks good...and unique too.  Very nice job.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/02/2021 8:47 PM  #15

6sally6 wrote:

I just get the color of rattle can paint I want and squirt some in the cap!! Works as good as any

I had a guy come up to me today and was talking about how brave I was driving a K-CODE Mustang around everywhere! He was pointing to the Hi-Po emblem on the fender. (Had to tell him the truth BUTT it does look kinda 'vintage' with the faded paint....gonna hafta re-do them after 4 years of use.)
6sal6
I like the mono painted bumpers. Looks great

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/03/2021 8:33 AM  #16

Bullet Bob wrote:

I use Testors modeling enamel to repaint the lettering on my gas cap and the black areas on the 66 fake side scoops.

Thanks for reminder, I need to paint my car.😜

4/03/2021 10:34 AM  #17

Just to be different I used body color except for the Tri-bar which got Testors. Here's some pictures for ya.
 Sorry for the double post on the cap, could not delete it.

On the 67 the inset is chrome, the 68 is black
The original flip cap was black

Can't remember if the ten spoke was painted or not, is now.

Last edited by Rudi (4/03/2021 10:37 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/03/2021 12:42 PM  #18

It’s the subtle things that most people wouldn’t even notice.
That’s what makes it unique.
Nice detail work Rudi.

4/03/2021 5:26 PM  #19

I have achieved best results laying the emblem flat, then overthinning the paint so it flows easily into all the grooves and corners, spreading it around with a toothpic.  Overthinning keeps it from having any brush strokes.   Two to three coats applied will get good coverage.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.