FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2021 7:29 AM  #1

67 mustang T-5 conversion tunnel cut ,cross member issues?

I'm sure I'm not the only one to go thru this. My 67 mustang 351w 4spd top loader, I started the conversion to T-5,
new pilot bearing (needle),adapter plate install to bell housing, bought a transmission jack (great move). I started
the transmission install, it went right in, I thought this great, time for a beer, very happy, then I figured I'll bolt up the
trans cross member and starter to bell housing and  call it a day and break out the beer. I bought a conversion kit
from American Powertrain to use their cross member, I have two different mounts 1 rubber, 1 poly, more solid. I
get same result with either mount , you have to jam the trans up tight to to put the cross member and trans mount in.
The top of the trans hits the the upper cross member support , ( Floor trans tunnel) also when the mount is installed
in lower cross member you can't bolt the mount to the 2 holes in the trans bottom it looks like would have to move
the back of the car a full bolt hole or you would have to slot the holes on the trans mount a full hole to bolt up. I
thought this conversion would be a slam dunk, it looks I may have to pull the trans back out and cut the floor, not
sure or did I get the wrong cross member bracket? Waiting for "Tech support" to open Monday, but felt I would get
more info and tips from this site (as all way's ). Sorry for the long post.   mustang stu
P.S. After 351w install the 4 spd went right in fit great

2/07/2021 8:39 AM  #2

Re: 67 mustang T-5 conversion tunnel cut ,cross member issues?

I have a 66 convertible so mine is similar to your 67.  I reused the rubber mount from my toploader on the Modern Driveline crossmember.  I suspect your crossmember is wrong.  Not too familiar with American Powertrain but I know that the Modern Driveline stuff fits and works well.  Does your crossmember look like this one?

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/07/2021 10:41 AM  #3

Dear John, Thanks so much for your reply, the cross member they gave me looks nothing like the modern 
drive line one. It's a funny looking one, it just bolts to the back of the cross member it does not swallow  both
sides like the original  and the modern drive line one. I'm hoping that they gave me the wrong one, I don't like
to start cutting and hacking to make something fit. I thought this was a pretty straight conversion, I did the dial
indicator to check the bell housing to crank shaft alignment, right on spec. I  have a top load trans mount and one they
sent me "poly " same results both mounts. I also thought there would be no cutting involved. I'm in a holding pattern 
right now. Should there be a lot of cutting on the trans tunnel?  Once again THANKS!     MUSTANG STU

2/07/2021 4:21 PM  #4

I think the crossmember offered by MustangSteve would fit better for you. Just sayin’...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/08/2021 5:54 AM  #5

First, unless you have poly motor mounts don't use the poly trans mount.  Engine and trans mounts need to match in terms of material.

Second, I had zero issues like this in my '67.  I would say the crossmember is your problem. 

2/08/2021 6:53 AM  #6

mustang stu wrote:

Should there be a lot of cutting on the trans tunnel?  Once again THANKS!     MUSTANG STU

No cutting or hacking on the tunnel should be needed.  With the right parts it should go together very smoothly.  The only issue some people have reported is needing a small amount of enlarging of the shifter hole on top of the tunnel (the one that the shifter pokes through into the passenger compartment) - mine was fine so there's a fair chance yours will be too.

I tried the MustangSteve crossmember.  It's a great piece and is well made but on my 66 convertible I would have had to do major surgery on my exhaust to use it because the crossmember interferes with the path of the exhaust pipes going into the tunnel.  The convertible has a reinforcement plate bolted to the bottom of the tunnel, and the normal exhaust routing is above the plate.  So it's not a straight path to get the pipes through there with that crossmember.  Cars without the reinforcement plate may be much different and I have no experience with them.  I ended up using the Modern Driveline crossmember, which allows the normal exhaust routing.

Happy I could help

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/08/2021 7:00 AM  #7

TKO  Thanks for your reply.  I agree, they sent me that poly mount in their package. I have a stock rubber mount
with 800 miles on it. Tremec recommends using a rubber mount , that's the direction I  was headed,  the motor mounts
are also rubber. I thought  this should be easy conversion from every thing I have read. I'm  checking out the crossmember. 
mustang stu

2/08/2021 7:09 AM  #8

John Ha ,  I didn't think that  I should be doing  any cutting from what I read. Taking a small break for a couple
day's while I check out crossmember options.   THANK'S for the info.  mustang stu

2/08/2021 3:30 PM  #9

I can't speak to exhaust interference issues with the crossmember I used.  I changed my entire exhaust as I did my T5 swap, so the pipes fit with the crossmember just fine because the pipes were built around it.  Its an important point John makes, and worth considering/looking at. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.