FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2021 7:48 AM  #1

Important lesson learned about all those winter projects...

Everyone seems to neglect the fact that they are done in winter. 

It's barely 15 degrees in my garage.  That concrete floor feels like a block of ice.  No way am I laying on that floor underneath the car.  That's a case of pneumonia waiting to happen.  I guess some of you guys got fancy heated garages or grew up walking in 10 feet of snows.  (Up hill, both ways).   My winter projects will now be early spring projects. 

2/15/2021 8:08 AM  #2

Re: Important lesson learned about all those winter projects...

We also had no shoes while we were walking uphill to school both ways

My suggestion is to grab a cheap propane heater at Lowes or Home Depot and git 'er done.  I use them all the time for work.  We routinely work in buildings with no heat in the winter.  Some scrap carpet works great for the floor.  Commercial grade is best because you can roll right over it with a creeper. 

It definitely sucks working in the cold, but I find if I wait for spring I end up too busy with yard work, etc. to have time to spend in the garage.  Plus, I want to drive the car at that point not work on it. 

2/15/2021 8:17 AM  #3

I know what you mean about those cold concrete floors. I used to do totaled cars, I got a wall mounted gas heater years ago, it really makes a difference. I got some big pieces of rug left overs that cover the floor,
 underneath  the whole car. It's not ideal, but once you get into your project it helps. In Penna we get are
share of cold weather. But we are thinking about moving to Mandeville LA  to be close to family.  
GOOD LUCK on your project   mustang stu

2/15/2021 9:36 AM  #4

15 degrees is tough to battle.  Learned from my father years ago to use cardboard to lay on a concrete floor, not ideal, but does help a lot. Plus, there was a bicycle store near us that offered a good supply chain.
Agree w/TKO, one of those propane heaters puts out a lot of heat quickly.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/15/2021 9:59 AM  #5

I'm not sure having a minisplit in my garage classifies it as fancy, I call it why in the hell did I not do this earlier! Garages can be brutal in the summer or winter what fun is it working on your toy freezing your rear off or dripping with sweat? Or, in the case in my area, being assaulted by mosquitoes no matter how nice it is outside.

I saved up, shopped around, found a deal and had it installed. Just last night when it was 9 out I was enjoying a cigar and poking around on my truck.

At the very least a creeper will get you off the cold floor.

2/15/2021 11:18 AM  #6

2nd best thing I put in my garage was a used pellet stove.  On a cold garage tinker day I make sure it is full of pellets and turn it on first thing in the morning.  After breakfast and caffeine the garage is a nice place to go work.  Stove was free off Craigslist, most expensive part was the flue piping.  The heat is dry, unlike a non vented natural gas or propane heater which will raise humidity.  Only catch is that it is “solid” fuel so your local building department may or may not think it is an okay idea.  My local building department made me get it off the floor and draw combustion air from outside (because of the potential of gasoline vapors in the garage).

And there is nothing wrong with cardboard on the floor to insulate you from the concrete.

2/15/2021 11:52 AM  #7

A wall mounted propane heater and cardboard and carpet samples/welcome mats do wonders to insulate working on the floor.

If using a portable heater of any type, be careful of plastic and urethane body panels. They will distort ir melt.

2/15/2021 11:58 AM  #8

Don't forget the '....impotent fact'...we are a coupla years older and the cold seems to be colder now (and the hot is hotter) You could just say we are  ruin't  like most 'Mercunz'!!
Ain't this a GREAT country!!!!.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/15/2021 11:58 AM  #9

In-floor radiant heat works well too.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

2/15/2021 12:21 PM  #10

The two ton mini split in my garage works great, and is now also heating the game room through a 3’ door, since the game room mini split is kaput.  I have been working installing wainscot in the game room.  Foundation was poured Feb 6, 2020 and nearing completion soon!  Then I can work on the Mustang and truck.  Or, shoot pool...  hmmm...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/15/2021 3:03 PM  #11

MS wrote:

The two ton mini split in my garage works great, and is now also heating the game room through a 3’ door, since the game room mini split is kaput.  I have been working installing wainscot in the game room.  Foundation was poured Feb 6, 2020 and nearing completion soon!  Then I can work on the Mustang and truck.  Or, shoot pool...  hmmm...

Work on the 56, then shoot pool.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.