FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2021 10:42 AM  #1

PennGrade Oils

Anyone using PennGrade oils in there cars. My machine shop has me using there break in oil and then recommends there partial synthetic. I do like the color. I have always been found of synthetics even in my older motors, but never really used the blend before. 
Just wondering. what all of you think .

Chris

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

3/05/2021 2:16 PM  #2

Re: PennGrade Oils

Cab4word67 wrote:

Anyone using PennGrade oils in there cars. My machine shop has me using there break in oil and then recommends there partial synthetic. I do like the color. I have always been found of synthetics even in my older motors, but never really used the blend before. 
Just wondering. what all of you think .

Chris

Is that oils made by Brad Penn? I have used his break in oil with no problems. It's also got the ZDDP additives for our older flat tappet cam engines.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/05/2021 3:17 PM  #3

Personally once an engine is broken in I prefer Amsoil 100% synthetic.  Primarily due to cost factors I run Shell Rotella full synthetic in my Diesel (14 quarts per oil change, 4-5 changes a year).  Blends are better than regular conventional, but I don't know what conventional offers over a synthetic anymore, other than lower cost.  Years ago before they got the additive packages right conventional could help prevent seal issues, etc., but I haven't seen any issues like that in 15 years now.  I would not switch a high mileage engine over to synthetic, but a new engine I would break in with a good break in oil, then go to a good conventional for the next couple changes, and then switch to Amsoil around 10-12k miles. 

3/06/2021 1:27 AM  #4

TKO, I have always ran Amsoil too. In fack I switch every car I own over no mater how many miles. This 289 was converted at 121K and likely is what saved me on the trip up and back to Montana with the wrong timing gear. I was just wondering  about this PennOil. I will go with my gut and after about 5K I will make the switch to Amsoil 10-40 with high ZDDP for older cars.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

3/06/2021 7:40 AM  #5

Its synthetic so oil weight isn't as critical, but I'd run a 10W30 or 5W30.  These engines were originally spec'd with an oil the modern equivalent of which is 10W30.  They don't typically need a 40W oil unless worn out and having low oil pressure.  I run 5W30 in mine and it still makes plenty of oil pressure. 

3/07/2021 10:07 AM  #6

Good to know. I always thought the 40 was for outside temps over 100 deg and thought with the underhood temps of the mustang being so hot it would help. I will look into some 10-30 for the next oil change at 300 miles, cant wait. Turing the key today
Chris

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.