FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2021 12:31 PM  #1

header for 64 falcon

while I am installing MS cable clutch in my 64 falcon, there is no way the cable for the clutch will clear the header on the drivers side without it passing through the long tube headers itself. what are your thoughts on brand of shorty headers would be a good choice for the replacement?

2/28/2021 1:09 PM  #2

Re: header for 64 falcon

Is there any space around the clutch cable as it goes thru the header?! If so........maybe run the cable thru a piece of pipe or tubing that's wrapped in something. Heat resistant material....header wrap material.....
something along those lines?!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/28/2021 3:48 PM  #3

all four tubes are there at the point of where the cable needs to go. there isn't anyway that cable is going to be able to be installed with the long tube headers that are currently on this car. i can not bend the clutch cable enough to get the lower end of the cable into the bell housing. i knew it was going to be close to the header so i wrapped the cable in a header wrap material.

Last edited by val fulesday (2/28/2021 3:51 PM)

3/01/2021 6:25 AM  #4

What brand long tubes do ya have Val?
Were they designed with opening for stock mechanical linkage?

I have Hooker 6901’s and stock (E6) T5 bell housing for foxbody.

3/01/2021 8:38 AM  #5

I don't have any idea what brand they are, they were on the car when I bought it. the opening for the Zbar is considerably higher than the direction of the cable, so even though I haven't tried it, I will give it a shot. what's the worst that could happen, it not work? the headers that are on the car have a few areas that have significant dents anyway. I really don't want to change them, but I will if need be. also wondering about any HP loss with running a shorty header? I can't really see any difference with them and dented long tube headers. your opinion?

3/01/2021 9:38 AM  #6

This was my solution.
I moved lever outboard and still wrapped header tubes below cable for a warmer fuzzy feeling.
This was with the longer adjustable cable that Mustang Steve uses.

Last edited by Nos681 (3/01/2021 9:42 AM)

3/01/2021 2:26 PM  #7

looks like an idea I might steal, if I have the room to do so. thanks  I appreciate it, be blessed.

3/01/2021 3:59 PM  #8

Just remembered that the wrap helps the power steering ram from heat as well.

3/01/2021 5:08 PM  #9

I was able to get the lower attachment in the bell housing. while I wrapped the cable with aluminum tape as in what thy use in HVAC applications, I also wrapped the cable with header wrap as well. trying to figure out now what I can do to make a bracket to hold the cable off of the header tube. it's looking like the best I may get is about an inch or so, as everything currently sits.
I am considering to route the cable above the oil filter and I may be able to miss a larger portion of the header but I really haven't thought the hole thing through.
I do not have power steering that I would need to be concerned about with the header wrap.

3/02/2021 10:10 PM  #10

question 1, I have heard that ceramic headers have to be broken in. anyone else heard this and if so what is the process?
 2, has anyone ever used block hugger headers on their mustang or falcon?

3/03/2021 12:34 PM  #11

The issue I had with the ceramic coating was when the motor went to the dyno. Something about the way they ran it on the dyno caused them to discolor badly.

Motor #2 was dyno'd with the shops headers. Mine were recoated before going back in the car. A few thousand miles later and no discoloration. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/03/2021 3:08 PM  #12

Does the cable enter the bell housing WITHOUT side load?

If it has side load pressure on it, you may still have a potential failure.
The nylon/plastic end encases the end of the sheath.
If it heats up enough to soften and there is tension sideways..even operating clutch will apply pressure...it may look like this.

Granted, I only had cable wrapped on first and hopefully final failure.

3/05/2021 11:46 AM  #13

I have one of Dan custom brackets on my car works awesome with MS pedal assy  made my pedal feel go from Good to great I would have patented if it were mine lol 😂 it was cheaper than custom headers. I have no reason for hydraulic . No more worries about cable heat damage. The bend in the cable means more pedal efforts needed

Last edited by Coupedaddy (3/05/2021 11:50 AM)

3/07/2021 9:21 AM  #14

I am sorry Lieutenant  Dan is Nos681 on the forum

Last edited by Coupedaddy (3/07/2021 1:16 PM)

3/07/2021 12:49 PM  #15

Coupedaddy wrote:

I am sorry Dan is Nos681 on the forum

That's Lieutenant Dan to Charles

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/07/2021 1:22 PM  #16

I corrected my post Sorry Lieutenant Dan ! Thank you for your Service. To the country and the bracket lol 😂 . The bracket is the LoL part serious about the service for our Country. Thank you  RPM.

3/07/2021 5:22 PM  #17

The ORIGINAL question that Val axed .........."does short tube headers cause a HP loss compared to long tube headers........"
NO........not really. (Not on a street driven ride anyway)
I LOVE the sound of long tubes compared to the others butt shorties (even HiPo mani's) don't really effect a loss in HP
IF....................the rest  of the exhaust is big enough and free-flowing.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.