FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2013 9:01 AM  #1

Question about Spark Plug Wires

Since I changed to the Patriot headers to fit my cable clutch....I have run into another problem.  My straight plug wire boots are hitting the header on number 7,8,4 cylinders.  So my question is how hard is it to replace the spark plug boot? I bought a unverisal 8.5mm set of wires from MSD and have cut and installed the dizzy boots.  My other question is should I go with a 45 degree or a 90 degree boot at the spark plug?  Thanks....Im so close to getting the car running I can taste it!!!!

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

4/12/2013 11:06 AM  #2

Re: Question about Spark Plug Wires

I have a similar problem with my 351w and hedman shorties.  I used to be able to get kits with plug boots that could be bent up to 90 deg to make things fit.  When I needed new wires last time, I thought that was what I was getting.  Wrong.  I could not find any that bent.

To make a long story short.   After lots of searching and lots of trips to my performance parts store. I ended up with two wiring kits - one with straight boots and one with 90 deg boots.  6 90 degree boots and two straight boots were installed. There is more than one way to configure this, but the 90 degree wires were already on.  So now I have this strange looking wiring setup with 6 red wires and two blue ones.  And the wire diameters are different - 7mm & 6.5mm.  Yes this is cobbled together, does not give the best performance and looks funny.  But it has been functioning just fine for over 5 years, and I hate having down time on the car.  Also, wiring kits are expensive.  The parts store would not take back anything that had already been cut.

I should have planned better, but sometimes life does not go as well as planned.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/12/2013 12:13 PM  #3

It would be very patriotic if you added a white wire in that mix! ;)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/12/2013 8:15 PM  #4

Tmac wrote:

Since I changed to the Patriot headers to fit my cable clutch....I have run into another problem.  My straight plug wire boots are hitting the header on number 7,8,4 cylinders.  So my question is how hard is it to replace the spark plug boot? I bought a unverisal 8.5mm set of wires from MSD and have cut and installed the dizzy boots.  My other question is should I go with a 45 degree or a 90 degree boot at the spark plug?  Thanks....Im so close to getting the car running I can taste it!!!!

I use the 45 degree or 135 degree depending on which guy you talk to. They seem to work well. I really like the MSD wires since they made more HP on the Dyno. I run a MSD ignition box and MSD distributor, so maybe they are made for each other. Anyway, my car is faster with the MSD wires. I did have a supply of 45 degree ends left from the Taylor stuff I used to run, and those ends worked well with the MSD wires and MSD crimper. I also used the Taylor 45 degree plug boots. The MSD boots were a universal kind of thing and I liked the Taylor ones better since they were molded at the 45 degrees.

4/12/2013 9:09 PM  #5

I have used the 135 degree boots (some call them 45) on ever SBF I have ever had.  Never have any problems with header tubes.  Most name brand spark plug wire kits that you buy already have the plug boot installed, and you install the distributor end.  That way you can make them nice and neat like yours are.  One of my pet peeves, other than wires being YELLOW is wires that look like they were just THROWN at the engine like a bunch of spaghetti.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/15/2013 7:33 PM  #6

Well I lucked out today.  I noticed that last year when I bought the wire set, I bought the multi angle spark plug boots.  I thought I had bought the straight ones.  So I bent them up to when I needed them.  What yall think?

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.