FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2013 6:21 PM  #1

Who'd'ave thunk it, Fast and Loud is good for something other than...

mindless entertainment.  I keep watching the show and there are parts I like and parts I think are stupid, but ultimately it helped me with a project.

About two years ago I was taking the side brackets off of a Jaguar differential and one of the mounting bolts broke off in the differential housing.  At the time I tried to weld a nut to the broken off stud, and put a wrench to it, but it twisted off so I didn't try again.  Anyway the screw up went from bad to worse because I drilled a hole in the bolt with the intent of using an "easy out" and then managed to snap off the easy out in the hole SOOOO needless to say it never got fixed and sat there in my garage for a couple of years.  

Fast forward to yesterday, I was watching an episode of Fast and loud I had DVR(ed) and they had the same problem (only on a corvette differential). The guy on the show did what I had done several years ago and welded a nut to the stud, and like me his first attempt twisted off.  Unlike me he kept trying and switched from a standard wrench to an impact wrench.  On try 4 or 5 the bolt finally came out.  Makes sense all the impacts before each twist off helped loosen the threads and each time he welded on a new nut he pored more heat in to the broken bolt also helping loosen the threads.

Armed with the concept of perseverance, AND an impact wrench I went out today and made a second attempt to remove the broken bolt.  On the sixth try it came loose with out twisting off the nut.  Fantastic technique!!!

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

4/10/2013 8:02 PM  #2

Re: Who'd'ave thunk it, Fast and Loud is good for something other than...

I love that show.   I have to watch every episode.  Im waiting for MS to show up on there....LOL

Steve69

4/10/2013 9:39 PM  #3

Daze, I'm glad you got something useful from the show. But I have agree with MS, " bunch of fast talking twerps". I had to quit watching the show: no one on the show cares about cars, only money, pretty much the opposite of this forum.

4/11/2013 7:28 AM  #4

Hornman wrote:

Daze, I'm glad you got something useful from the show. But I have agree with MS, " bunch of fast talking twerps". I had to quit watching the show: no one on the show cares about cars, only money, pretty much the opposite of this forum.

Money ain't no problem, Ron.  I get some, I spend it on the Mustang...no problem.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/11/2013 8:24 AM  #5

It is about the deals and the $ but his Duck Dynasty Mechanic makes sure he isn't building crap.
I like that guy more than Richard....LOL

4/11/2013 4:22 PM  #6

We had a brake at work that the top holder came loose and busted some of the alignment dowels up in the top ram. Tried for two days to get them out. They were harder than ???? and we could only  drill about an 1/8" hole about 1/8 " deep for an easy-out. Long story short, we had a blacksmith working on second shift. He came in, heated the dowels for a little bit, put some beeswax up against them. Wicked right up there and they slid right out. Works pretty good on busted off bolts also.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

4/11/2013 9:19 PM  #7

One of their shows talked about pressing bearings onto an axle by putting the axle in the fridge for several hours. Worked like a charm.

4/12/2013 8:16 AM  #8

Thats how I put on flywheel ring gears. flywheel in freezer and ring gear in oven. Works like a charm.
Howard

4/12/2013 8:16 AM  #9

Alan wrote:

We had a brake at work that the top holder came loose and busted some of the alignment dowels up in the top ram. Tried for two days to get them out. They were harder than ???? and we could only  drill about an 1/8" hole about 1/8 " deep for an easy-out. Long story short, we had a blacksmith working on second shift. He came in, heated the dowels for a little bit, put some beeswax up against them. Wicked right up there and they slid right out. Works pretty good on busted off bolts also.

Awesome tip.

4/12/2013 9:11 PM  #10

Alan, thanks for posting the beesway suggestion.  Had not heard that one.  Have done same with PB Blaster, but not real successful doing it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.