FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2021 10:03 AM  #1

NEW EXHAUST OPTIONS LETS DISCUSS YOUR EXHAUST...

I AM CONSIDERING NEW EXHAUST JUST WANTING SOME IDEAS.
I CURRENTLY HAVE:

1966 MUSTANG COUPE
289 .30 OVER 
5 SPEED

(PLEASE INCLUDE SOURCES AND IF IT WAS A KIT)

1.  HOOKER HEADERS LONG TUBE

2.  2.5 PIPES FROM HEADERS ALL THE WAY OUT THE BACK

3.  H-PIPE

4.  FLOWMASTER 40 MUFFLERS

5.  MAC MANDREL BENT TAILPIPES OUT THE GT VALENCE

6.  SOME SORT OF BIG EXAUST TIP BARELY HAS ROOM
ALL IN REGULAR STEEL

WHAT I AM CONSIDERING:

1.  HOOKER LONG TUBE HEADERS

2.  2.5 PIPES 

3.  X-PIPE

4.  WALKER QUITE  FLOW 21856 MUFFLERS

5.  MANDREL BENT TAIL PIPES THRU GT VALENCE OR MAYBE SWAP TO REGULAR VALENCE AND RUN THE    TAILPIPES OUT DIFFERNT GETTING TIRED OF THE CLEARENCE ISSUES INVOLVED IN GT VALENCE EXIT.

6.  GT TRUMPET TIPS

7. ALL IN STAINLESS STEEL

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (4/06/2021 10:13 AM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

4/06/2021 10:23 AM  #2

Re: NEW EXHAUST OPTIONS LETS DISCUSS YOUR EXHAUST...

What you are proposing looks good.
Mine is nothing special or out of the ordinary.
Ceramic coated Tri-y headers widened because of the AOD
 Custom 2 1/4" "H" pipe because of the AOD again
Stock aluminised 2 1/4" GT pipes with resonators to a Stock transverse muffler 
Stock tail pipes with Rolled edge GT tips
 It has a nice rumble on start up with a non offensive roar when hit hard and barely noticable  at cruise with the top down.

Last edited by Rudi (4/06/2021 10:25 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/06/2021 1:08 PM  #3

JBA ceramic coated shortie headers.  2-1/4 aluminized steel dual exhaust with no crossover, Turbo mufflers, turndowns at rear just in front of the rear valence so you couldn't see the outlets unless you were a ways back or bent down to look.  The exhaust behind the headers was fabricated by a local muffler shop. 

Last edited by John Ha (4/06/2021 1:09 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/06/2021 3:05 PM  #4

I wouldn't bother with long tubes for two reasons.  One the ground clearance is not as good as a shorty header, and two long tubes always have a flat spot in the torque curve right where you want torque on the street.  I also run JBA shorties.  The only thing I'll note about them is that if you have or plan to run Borgeson power steering they hit the box and you have to put a decent dent in one tube for clearance.  Otherwise they cleared the cable clutch and everything else just fine. 

I used a Magnaflow X-pipe and used the ends off the JBA H pipe so it fit the ball and socket connectors on the JBA headers.  Then Magnaflow exhaust all the way back ending in 2-1/2" GT style rolled tips I modified as previously discussed.  The whole system is 2-1/2" and all 304 stainless. 

4/06/2021 4:59 PM  #5

WELL IT HAS THE HEADERS ON IT NOW...IF I CHANGED THEM I WOULD GO TO A SHORTY OR HI-PO MANIFOLDS.GOT MY OLD MANDREL BENT TAILPIPES OFF TODAY AND THEY LOOK TERRIBLE RUSTED AND THIN BRITTLE LOOKING

upload your pics photo hosting site free

4/06/2021 6:04 PM  #6

LOOKS LIKE I WILL BE GETTING NEW TAILPIPES TOO.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (4/06/2021 7:42 PM)

4/06/2021 7:00 PM  #7

On mine -

Stock Ford 289 exhaust manifolds - Originals, came with the car when built
2-1/4" pipes (not stainless) from manifolds all the way - Fabricated up by the exhaust guy
Walker Quietflow Mufflers - Purchased from Rock Auto

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

4/07/2021 9:29 PM  #8

I GOT THE WALKER QUITE FLOWS TOO

4/07/2021 9:30 PM  #9

I HOPE THESE TAILPIPES WORK OUT. I SHOPPED AROUND AND FOUND THEM FOR LIKE 159.00 AFTER TAXES AND FREE SHIPPING.

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/builder_components/direct_fit_pipe_kits/prebent_tailpipe/parts/15807

4/07/2021 9:51 PM  #10

Well I thought I would join in and if it ever runs again this is what I have currently. (10 weeks dead)
newly rebuilt and apart 289, Edlebrock Performer intake and a 500 CFM carb, small cam with flattened lobs, new rebuilt heads with some porting and larger valves, New FPA long tube headers, ceramic coating burned off. Borgison steering and a new small starter. I will say in all my cars I have never had a set of long tube headers that fit so good and were so easy to remove and install. They dont hang down below the car and no need to dent tubes for fitment. No need to pull anything just unbolt and remove or install. 2" dual exhaust with crossover out the rear through 40s and exit just below the valance.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/08/2021 4:57 AM  #11

Just a reminder to use the suggested muffler configuration to prevent headaches with tailpipes.

Flowmaster systems fit very nice from my experience on a 92 Mustang and 95 F150.
Both were aluminized systems.

4/08/2021 9:40 PM  #12

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

LOOKS LIKE I WILL BE GETTING NEW TAILPIPES TOO.

BILLY-BILLY-BILLY ........I spent many a mile look'in at those tailpipe ends!!
That's been a "coupla" years ago........huh?!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/09/2021 9:46 AM  #13

YEAH BEEN A FEW

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.