FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2021 5:04 PM  #1

67 mustang steering box

my friend owns a 67 FB and the play in the steering wheel is unreal neatly 1/2 a turn before any input is actually felt. I am wanting to at least get it better by adjusting the worm gear, so how far should I start with turning the screw? I was told 1/2 a turn to start with but that seems a bit to much to me.

4/11/2021 5:23 PM  #2

Re: 67 mustang steering box

I'd recommend he have Chockostang rebuild it. Fifty plus years on the original box is about 25 years late on a rebuild imo. IF, you mess with it, it has to be centered on the high lobe and the screw torqued to I think 10 INCH pounds.

Chocko does outstanding work for a reasonable price.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/11/2021 6:09 PM  #3

Pack it full of grease first..........I bet its never had any added and the DS exhaust mani is right under it. Can almost guarantee it will get better!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/11/2021 6:14 PM  #4

Bearing Bob wrote:

I'd recommend he have Chockostang rebuild it. Fifty plus years on the original box is about 25 years late on a rebuild imo. IF, you mess with it, it has to be centered on the high lobe and the screw torqued to I think 10 INCH pounds.

Chocko does outstanding work for a reasonable price.

As I recall BB2, the adjustmet bolt need to be tightened until you have 10 inch lbs. on the shaft.  Doesn't matter here....I'm with you, adjusting a worn out steering box is nighe-on to impossible.  And it will still have loose and tight spots.
Get it rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/11/2021 6:43 PM  #5

Be very careful with that adjusting screw, if you get over anxious you could more harm to it that will make it harder to fix properly.
Talk with Dan at chockostang before you mess with it.
Chokostang classic Mustang.com
Grease it if you want but sounds like it is just plain worn out.

Last edited by Rudi (4/11/2021 6:44 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/11/2021 7:49 PM  #6

Is it the box, or is it other components worn out?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/16/2021 4:18 PM  #7

I had a very similar issue with my 65 coupe, even after installing all new steering parts and aligning it. I did everything but the gear box and it ended being the culprit. I felt like I was driving a boat and found my myself wrestling with the wheel just trying to keep it driving straight. I tried the adjustment screw a tab bit hoping it would help but I figured it would be best to rebuild it.

It now drives nice, day and night difference. The steering is much tighter and responsive.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.