FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2021 6:22 PM  #26

Re: Priming new engine with oil

Glad you figured it out. Have you looked into Morel lifters?

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

4/20/2021 6:58 PM  #27

MS wrote:

They are the high performance version of Ford roller lifters from FRPP.

I have another 5.0 to build next and already have a set of new standard Ford roller lifters to use.  Wish me luck!

I used the same ones in my motor. Wish ME luck!

4/20/2021 7:16 PM  #28

Never had this much trouble with flat tappets!!!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/20/2021 7:43 PM  #29

Chaplin wrote:

MS wrote:

I have another 5.0 to build next and already have a set of new standard Ford roller lifters to use. Wish me luck!

Me too!!

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/21/2021 8:41 AM  #30

You can have problems with about brand today. Was running Lunati flat tappet in the 67. Had close to 1k running around close to home. Everything was oak-e-doky , so we decided to do a cross country trip. and along the way, we stop to spray the road grime off in IL. Started it up, and what a knocking noise (not a tick). Had to get towed home a few wks. later. One lifter came apart inside around what looked to be broken spot weld.

4/21/2021 6:40 PM  #31

Bullet Bob wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

MS wrote:

I have another 5.0 to build next and already have a set of new standard Ford roller lifters to use. Wish me luck!

Me too!!

Good luck!

4/22/2021 5:38 AM  #32

I liked the added support on the Comp lifters too.  Apparently there are only a handful of companies that actually build their own lifters.  Most places are selling someone else's lifters in their box.  If you look at them you'll see that there are only a couple variations in design despite there being dozens of companies selling them.  I'm wondering if Ford has changed their suppliers or outsourced building a product they used to build in house.  The ones I bought 15 years ago looked perfect and were well boxed. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (4/23/2021 5:01 AM)

4/22/2021 7:54 PM  #33

TKOPerformance wrote:

.  Apparently there are only a handful of companies that actually build their own lifters.  Most places are selling someone else's lifters in their box.  

I heard the same thing.......
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/22/2021 9:04 PM  #34

I have a new set of the Ford OEM type roller lifters to put in the next 5.0 I will be building. NOT the high performance FRPP version. 

Let’s hope they are better than the high performance version as far as quality.
They do appear to be slightly different, rather than just reboxed.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.