FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2021 8:20 AM  #1

66 vin question, never had answer

Have a 66 mustang with a vin on fender with a T code, door has A code.  The serial number is the same on both locations.  The title is A code.  I have owned since late 80,s.  Has 5 lugs,  also has 9 inch rear, with necked down axle ends.  I know the rear is not original as it is 3:50.  Is it possible for that someone could find a door with the same serial number but with A code.  The only difference in both vin locations is T versus A.  Would post pictures if knew how.

Thanks,
Steele

4/21/2021 9:03 AM  #2

Re: 66 vin question, never had answer

The fender would be correct number regardless of door or title paperwork.

Door tag could easily be reproduced to say anything you want.
And titles get screwed up all of the time even for newer cars.

Anything beyond that I would say is fraud to insurance company and potential future buyer.

4/21/2021 9:19 AM  #3

The guy that operates the tag stamp machine could have had a hang over.
Back then everything was done manually so slip ups are not unheard of, I’m sure there are many stories out there of goof ups.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/21/2021 9:41 AM  #4

[/b]That door I believe is original, have owned it 30 yrs or more, talked to the guy that was 2nd owner who drove it to school.  Was sitting in a field with workout 302 with the top loader in trunk. Brought it when mustangs were not that high and I don’t think previous owner would went to the trouble to Chang vin tag on door as I bought it as not more as junk.  just wondering if any other explanation ?  Not trying to sell as I had new quarters new fenders and floor pans, 351W , T5, electric steering, unisteer rack, so one of my grand kids will receive.  Taken a long time to get where it is, only thing left is Shelby drop and Daze adjustable struts.  Wish I could post a picture, don’t see any place to post.  If the door vin is fake then how was a titlle produced with A code.  Is it possible for a T code car and a A code car to have the same serial numbers if the door was changed.

4/21/2021 9:42 AM  #5

If you are sure the T is not the MFG code...Matuchen (sp)...right after the Date #,  then I'd say don't worry about it.  It's an A code car and you have substantial proof thereof.  Also, you might check the code on the RIGHT fender apron...further to the rear, near the hood hinge, covered by the fender.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/21/2021 11:00 AM  #6

Does the VIN on the inner fender say 6Txxxxxxxx?
Or does it say 6xxxTxxxxx?
Or does it say 6xxxAxxxxx?

T in the second position is the code for the Metuchen, NJ assembly plant. T in the fifth position is the code for a 200 6 cylinder engine. A in the fifth position is the code for a 289 4V engine.

4/21/2021 1:32 PM  #7

Fender is on both sides reads 6F09T69441
Door reads 6F09A69441

4/21/2021 1:40 PM  #8

615fastback wrote:

Fender is on both sides reads 6F09T69441
Door reads 6F09A69441

Well...I'd say if it always had five lugs, 8" axle, V8 frontend, and the title says "A"...it's an A code.  The fender stamps likely were the result of "failure to communicate" back in the day considering the known history of the car.  My opinion. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/21/2021 1:44 PM  #9

Have always been curious how it happened.  Have asked at car shows, one answer was ford was selling so many mustangs that they used whatever bodies they had available.  Don’t know if that was true or not.
Have 4 old fords 66 fastback mustang, 67 GT Fairlane, 65 galaxie, 66 f100, none are even close to a show car.  Just decent drivers, but have enjoyed working on.  My age is getting so it’s not near the fun it use to be, but keep trying to turn a wrench ever so often.

4/21/2021 3:42 PM  #10

For title purposes, the fender VIN overrules the door tag.  I would get with your DMV to get it straightened out.  You don’t want heirs getting trapped someday if it ever gets ugly.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.