FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2021 1:24 PM  #1

65 single speed wipers to intermittent 2 speed conversion

Thanks to John Ha about adding tips and how to’s.

Can F series truck motors be used?
There are two types in the 87-96 trucks.
Earlier versions have two plugs into motor (6 wires total).
Later versions have a single plug (6 wires total).

I would like to use the newer single plug style,
The wire colors have changed.

Lucky to find older F series trucks around here pre 97.
And there aren’t any classics in yard here on tips donor list.

Plan would be to use switch and governor control module from early model and use later model motor.
Reason is the later trucks had wiper control on turn signal.

4/09/2021 1:27 PM  #2

Re: 65 single speed wipers to intermittent 2 speed conversion

You could add intermittent wipers like Bullet Bob using a newer motor i think he used a 67 mustang and then a 80s ford truck intermittent module that fits the stock mustang wiring plug. 

4/09/2021 2:47 PM  #3

I used 67-69 motor from a Mustang and the switch from a 79 F-100.

Easy

One of the best mods I ever did.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/09/2021 3:10 PM  #4

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

4/09/2021 3:29 PM  #5

You can use any 2 speed motor you want but the ones John and others listed will mount up easy. Don't know if the mounting bolts are the same for the newer motors. I used to see the 70's F-100 switch and module on e-bay for around 35-40 dollars I don't see them for that price now. If you try this mod on a 66 2 speed, you need to change the under dash wiper arms too.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/09/2021 5:12 PM  #6

Does anyone know the distance of the old 2 speed wiper shaft to mounting plate for motor?

From my understanding...
The original wiper transmission linkages for a single speed require no modifications?
Might have to drill new holes to mount motor...correct?
Does original linkage arm get reused or modified?

Of course while motor is “parked” too.
Just asking some more questions before opening up this can of worms before the Bash.
I may wait until after...I’ve survived 30 years like this.😂

4/09/2021 6:28 PM  #7

Dan I trying to remember how I did this so I hope this is correct. I had a 2 speed motor in my 66, that year Ford WAY over engineered the 2 speed wiper. It would go forward then reverse. The single speed motor  and after 66 on 2 speed, the motor just rotated 360 deg. IIRC I bought a 67 motor with the linkage connector on it and used the linkage from my 66 (I think it's the same length). I do remember it rubbing a little and taking a BFH under the dash to fix that. May of drilled an extra hole, not sure. I have 2 F100 switches and modules, 1 for the Fairlane 1 extra, I'll send you one if you want.
One other thing, the motors the guys have listed that will work have a cam inside that parks the wipers. Not sure how the newer motors work.

Last edited by wsinsle (4/09/2021 6:34 PM)

4/10/2021 7:57 AM  #8

I was able to find a switch and module at local salvage yard.
Thanks for offer.
Both of the truck motors have the cam/park switch built in.

The early version brings all 3 switch contacts out separately in one plug.
The 3 motor leads are all separate in a different plug.

The later version has a single 6 wire plug.
I would like to use the newer motor for a cleaner install.
Just trying to figure out the “how to wire” part with 96 motor.

Last edited by Nos681 (4/10/2021 8:02 AM)

4/10/2021 9:09 AM  #9

It's a little bit of a guess because they don't give all the internal of the control modules. This is what I would do.

96 Motor                                     88 Switch
  Dark Green                                       Red
   Black Pink                                   Black Pink
     Black                                         Black/Gnd
  Yellow/Red                                   Black/Gnd
Dk Bule/Orange                         Dk Bule/Orange         
    White                                            White
I assuming the Yellow/Red is the Gnd on the 96 motor because of the circuit breaker in line. That way it it doesn't matter if you are high or low speed it comes into play. I would ground the yellow/red, get a jumper with a in line fuse (about 10 amp). Jumper positive to the white wire on the motor, should run slow speed. Next jumper positive to the Blue/Org, should run fast. This would test the wiring to be correct.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by wsinsle (4/10/2021 9:18 AM)

4/10/2021 9:56 AM  #10

I was thinking similar testing method for motor.

4/12/2021 5:11 AM  #11

I used a '74 F250 motor with the original bracket and arm from my '66.  Then used the switch and module from a '91 F150.  Had to cut off the shaft on the switch but other than that it was plug and play.

4/13/2021 5:08 AM  #12

I was able to test both the 88 and 96 truck motors.
All functions worked as designed.

I looked at the possibility of using them on the car for two evenings after work...sorry for use of that 4 letter word. LOL

Without the expert machining skills and tools, I decided to go with a 67 2 speed motor.

To clock the arm in the park position or 180 position, there were clearance issues with the motors to fit.
I wanted to be able to use a non-modified assembly if a replacement is required in future.

What modifications are required to clock the 67 2 speed motor on the 65 single speed bracket?
Any tips or pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks for help guys.

4/13/2021 10:21 PM  #13

96 Motor                                                88 Motor

Dark Green          (Run)                         Red
Black Pink            (Switch common)      Black Pink
Black                    (Gnd)                         Black/Gnd
Yellow/Red           (Gnd)                         Black/Gnd
Dk Blue/Orange   (Low ~ 35 rpms)        White        
White                   (High ~ 56 rpms)       Dk Blue/Orange

We were close.

I will be using the 88 interior wiring from the black connector harness to firewall to a 67 2 speed motor.
Waiting on parts.

Last edited by Nos681 (4/13/2021 10:22 PM)

4/14/2021 4:48 AM  #14

MS wrote:

I used 67-69 motor from a Mustang and the switch from a 79 F-100.

Easy

One of the best mods I ever did.

Are there any tips or modifications required to getting alignment correct for park position?

4/14/2021 5:27 AM  #15

Nos681 wrote:

...Are there any tips or modifications required to getting alignment correct for park position?

I had no issues with this when I did mine.  The arm will only go on 2 ways.  As long as it is pointing the same way it was on the new motor as when you took it off you should be fine.  I got a '74 F250 motor and bracket from the pick-a-part, took the Mustang motor and bracket off the car, pulled the motors off the brackets, took the truck arm off, put the truck motor on the Mustang bracket, then put the Mustang arm on the truck motor in the same position it came off, put the assembly back in the car.  Dash was out which helped  a little, but it's tight under there.  Mine is a '66 but I thought the arm and bracket were same as '65?

4/19/2021 8:07 AM  #16

Thanks for help guys!

Conversion from 1 speed wiper to 2 speed wiper with delay is complete on my 65.

I used a 67 Mustang motor and switch/governor control/wiring (black plug to firewall) from ‘88 F-series truck.

I used the truck wiring to make a new harness to motor.

It was like shoving 5# of stuff into a 1# bag. 😂

Last edited by Nos681 (4/19/2021 8:08 AM)

4/19/2021 8:31 PM  #17

Cool... now you can swap mine at the Bash.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/21/2021 12:00 AM  #18

https://www.custommustangs.com.au/64-66-variable-wiper-switch-1-speed
this place sells a kit to give wiper delay theres also a kit made by detroit speed that gives 7 speed motor and delay thats for 65-66 mustang  just fyi thats awesome you built your own. 

4/21/2021 9:39 AM  #19

Bearing Bob wrote:

😂😂😂

4/21/2021 10:38 AM  #20

Nos681 wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

😂😂😂

What? Tis better to give than recieve. Plus, the second time you do a project is much easier. Think of the pleasure you'll recieve.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/21/2021 12:49 PM  #21

Bearing Bob wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

😂😂😂

What? Tis better to give than recieve. Plus, the second time you do a project is much easier. Think of the pleasure you'll recieve.

Is it 3rd or 4th times a charm?

4/22/2021 9:48 AM  #22

Sorry for not being able to remember details of the bracket. 

My car had single speed wipers.  I had a spare bracket for 66 2-speed wipers.  One of those two brackets bolted right up to the 67-69 motor with minor mods to the mounting stud diameters.  I think I had to file them smaller to fit into the rubber mounts on the bracket.

I do remember that you need the single speed wiper linkage (the long arms to the wipers).  Using the 2-speed wiper linkage results in the wipers not having equal timing and incorrect sweep radius.

4/22/2021 10:39 AM  #23

MS wrote:

Using the 2-speed wiper linkage results in the wipers not having equal timing and incorrect sweep radius.

Which works fine, cleans the windshield just fine, parks just fine....but the slightly mis-synchronized wipers offend some people's sensibilities.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/22/2021 10:39 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/22/2021 7:42 PM  #24

Bullet Bob wrote:

MS wrote:

Using the 2-speed wiper linkage results in the wipers not having equal timing and incorrect sweep radius.

Which works fine, cleans the windshield just fine, parks just fine....but the slightly mis-synchronized wipers offend some people's sensibilities.

Bullet just hasn’t been the same since those out-of-sync wiper arms started messing with his mind.  We will pray for no rain this trip, Bullet, but no guarantees.  Maybe you can just pull over til it stops!
Every time I see those wipers slapping time (thanks, Janis)  unevenly, I just want to rip them apart and fix ‘em, which would probably be as effective as  previous efforts trying to “fix” some of the stuff my wife complains about!

4/22/2021 7:45 PM  #25

Nos681 wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

😂😂😂

Is it 3rd or 4th times a charm?

Bearing Bob, your 69 should be as simple as just installing the 79 vintage F100 wiper switch, shouldn’t it?  And some minor wiring?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.