FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2021 9:15 AM  #1

How many times have you fellas 'Been-around-the-block'?

I'm not the oldest butt.......I'm 72 going on 17 !          Still love a noisey car !!!!

How bout chawle?
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/24/2021 9:19 AM  #2

Re: How many times have you fellas 'Been-around-the-block'?

I'll be 72 in October! My car's got to be noisy for me to hear it!!

Thats why my Fastback got no mufflers! Gotta hear enough to know when to shift!

Last edited by DC (4/24/2021 9:20 AM)

4/24/2021 9:33 AM  #3

Sometime I feel like I've been around the block too many times, and lost a lot of hearing to noisy cars. So anymore cars don't seem so noisy. 69 and counting...

4/24/2021 12:34 PM  #4

I'll be 72 in November.  After 50 years of working on jet aircraft - what loud mufflers? Eh? Speak up sonny - I can't hear ya! (not that bad yet - still don't need hearing aids)

And get off my lawn!!!

Last edited by Ron68 (4/25/2021 12:47 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/24/2021 12:58 PM  #5

Loud mufflers no more.  Just a good burble.  That's because I turn 80 in 3 weeks!  Ow!  Never thought I would get this far.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

4/24/2021 1:35 PM  #6

76 in August.  I thought the Heap was too loud for "normal"...not Mike's kind...driving.  Since I can't hear myself...ah, cough, I figured it had to be too loud for most folks. Got it quieted down now and  think I like it.  Jean says it's still loud so it's prolly just right.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/24/2021 1:38 PM  #7

DC wrote:

I'll be 72 in October! My car's got to be noisy for me to hear it!!

Thats why my Fastback got no mufflers! Gotta hear enough to know when to shift!

(Aw-yeahhh!!!.....a man after mine own heart!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

4/24/2021 1:39 PM  #8

Dang, I'm impressed...and depressed. I start Medicare on May 1st, and don't have the spark you 70+ guys have.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/24/2021 2:35 PM  #9

I get to be 82 in three days, got aches and pains all over but still like to crawl around under the hood, not so much on the floor though.
I lost me hearing on British twins with megaphones, straight piped flat heads, and tuned pipe 2 strokes.
12 gauge trap and skeet didn’t help much either.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/24/2021 3:37 PM  #10

Well i too must still be a youngin, Turn 67 end of the month. The sticker in the back of my truck say " I just don't listen". And that's true because of all the loud music and 4" Purple Horney's. I dont hear anything especially the wife. lol
thats why I think my 40 series mufflers sound just fine.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

4/24/2021 3:43 PM  #11

I will be 52 in November. Been Law Enforcement 27 of those years.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

4/24/2021 3:55 PM  #12

I'm going to be 67 in August. 

Billy, you're just a pup...

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

4/24/2021 4:48 PM  #13

68 in August.  About 1/2 deaf also , so I like them a little on the loud side.  I tone it down for the wife.

4/24/2021 5:07 PM  #14

64 in sept., work munitions and flight line for 20 yrs.    wife feels like slapping when i can't here her.

4/24/2021 8:55 PM  #15

51 years old my car is older me Lol 😂

4/24/2021 10:24 PM  #16

Will be 56 this year, VERY loud music, cars, and guns helps me appreciate a 3" straight through exhaust

4/25/2021 3:11 AM  #17

I'll be 68 this year ,I still like a little noise but not exhaust drone.

If its worth doing do it right !

4/25/2021 8:33 AM  #18

Turned 73 in March. I lost 60% of my hearing due to Naval service soooo... My 66 has worn out flow masters, Harley has straight pipes. If the motor ain’t running the radios blasting. 

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

4/25/2021 9:04 AM  #19

61 come September. 2 more work years then as the famous Chuck Noll use to say "move on with my real life's work".

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

4/25/2021 9:30 AM  #20

I am 65. I am about half-deaf on the left side, probably from years of driving convertibles.  Since I prefer to cruise long distances in my 66, I prefer my reasonably quiet mufflers. I went the cubic inches route for power so I don’t have to noise-pollute.

From all the ages posted previously, sure hope we aren’t scaring off the youngsters.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/25/2021 9:32 AM  #21

Turned 73 last December. 4 years around KC 135 tankers and B-52 bombers and 30 years around Dept of Corrections shooting means constant ringing in the ears.

4/25/2021 5:15 PM  #22

61 in June.
Just came in from working on Ol paint so for a few minutes i fell like 17.

Last edited by cman66 (4/25/2021 5:16 PM)

4/25/2021 5:28 PM  #23

71 and half deaf from flying old airplanes with straight pipes and open windows. Loud pipes never bothered me. I'd rather hear that than the ringing in my ears.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

4/25/2021 6:05 PM  #24

55 this year, and I must admit while I enjoy a screaming exhaust, a bit calmer while cruising is nice. I have always wanted a set of electric cut-outs just for the cruise-ins. I just may do it this year.

4/26/2021 6:04 AM  #25

I've been here for 71.7 trips around the sun.  Don't care for loud.  A nice exhaust note to me is that of a stock Tahoe or Suburban - a nice rumble with a bit of snarl at wide open throttle.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.