FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2021 1:24 PM  #1

Just got back from a 10 day RT66 road trip in my '66

Short version: Just got back from a 10 day RT66 trip.  Shipped my '66 from Tennessee to California.  We started in San Francisco, came down the Pacific Coast Highway to Los Angeles and drove it on RT66 to Joplin, MO then came home via Little Rock to visit my son, just over 3000 miles total. Car is a resto-mod with ’00 Explorer 5.0.  Sat from ’85 when it hit a deer to me getting it moving again last year.  Saw a lot of interesting places and things along the way.  Overall thoughts:
1-Would I ever do this in a ’66 Mustang again-no
2-Would I ever do this in a classic car again-probably not, but maybe.  We only saw 3 older cars on the road the whole time.
3-Would I ever do RT66 again-yes, but not the same way.  I will someday finish Joplin to Chicago.  I would not do any of the big cities on RT66 again.  Almost nothing left to see.
4-Jerry McLanahan’s EZ66 book is excellent, a must have. My only comment is that it is written for East to West travelers.  If you are going West to East you will have to do some interpreting.
5-A navigator is a must.  RT66 takes many strange and unmarked turns.  Having a navigator made it much better.
6-RT66 as it was 50 years ago is long gone.  There is some left to enjoy, particularly Eastern California, Western Arizona, Western New Mexico, Texas, and some Oklahoma.  Much of the rest has been eaten by the Interstate.

Long Version:  Wanted to travel RT66 for a long time.  My children are grown and married now.  I have a ’66 Mustang that I thought would be a fitting car.  It was wrecked in ’85 and sat in a field until ’03 when I bought it.  Fixed the floor pans and swapped in a V8.  Moved to a new city in ’05 and stuck the car in the corner of my garage.  Children not interested, so it sat.  When they left, I dragged it out and finished it specifically for this trip.  I wanted a good driver, but not a show car.  Something safe, but don’t have to worry somebody will scratch.  Changed much of what I had done to more modern parts.  So I rebuilt the suspension and electrical system.  Good seats, brakes, safety-but very little paint/body.  Short specs-’66 Mustang coupe, ’00 Explorer 5.0/4R70W transmission, Granada disc brakes on front, Borgeson steering, shortened Explorer 8.8 rear discs out back. ’07 Mustang seats.  Tilt column.  Good heat but no A/C.  One of my sons friends wanted to go so he went with me.

Plan was ship the car to San Francisco and take 10 days getting back to Chattanooga.  No reservations past the first night, but general thought was stops in Solvang CA, Barstow CA, Williams AZ, Winslow AZ, Santa Rosa NM, Groom TX, Arcadia OK, Joplin MO and head home through Little Rock AR.

Day 1-I shipped the car to San Francisco and had it held by a friend of a friend.  Some tools and some spare parts went with the car (coil pack, plug wire, injectors, crank sensor, thermostat, radiator cap, alternator, belt, oil, transmission fluid, 2 small spare tires-but no “good” jack)  Flew into San Francisco with a small bag each and picked up the car on Friday morning.  Went to see the Golden Gate bridge.  Picked up some provisions.  We had each sent out 1 duffle bag of clothes and stuff we couldn’t fly with (knives, aerosols, etc.) and a thick Styrofoam cooler in the car.  So we bought water, sodas, breakfast bars, tangerines and some other knick-knacks.  Headed down the Pacific Coast highway.  Do not attempt to do this in 1 day.  It should be at least 2 days.  It is slow and lots of turns. We had lunch near the beach in Santa Cruz.  Stopped to take pictures, but unfortunately it was a cloudy day so no spectacular views.  Dinner was a Subway while driving somewhere around San Louis Obispo.  We continued on 101 ending up in Goleta at a Motel 6 after dark.
Day 2-Got up early and had breakfast bars in the car to start our RT66 journey.  Filled the cooler with ice, as it turned out 2 hotel ice buckets per day were enough to sustain the cold.   Drove past Malibu to Santa Monica to the pier to start.  After the obligatory photos we were off about 10:00.  Lunch at an In-and-Out Burger.  We faithfully followed the route.  This is where we first learned that RT66 had been swallowed by the city.  Not much to see.  About 81 miles and 7 hours later of continuous stop and go traffic we neared Barstow.  We had dinner at Rositas (have been since told that Del Taco is much better).  Stayed in the California Inn in Barstow.
Day 3-Breakfast from the hotel.  Today we really get started.  We got on RT66 and headed for Amboy.  Stopped at the Pisgah Crater which was very neat.  Saw where they were scrapping train cars after a derailment.  Took some photos.  Here is where I pause a moment. The Mustang has a 5.0/4R70W from an Explorer.  If you know about the 4R70W transmission, it has a sump like an inverted pyramid that sticks down about 2” lower than the rest of the pan.  I did not realize until the car left town how low it was (the lowest thing under the car).  After it left I learned that an AODE pan will fit a 4R70W and not stick down.  Thought about buying one and shipping it out, but didn’t.  Turns out that was a bad mistake.  Picking up our travel about 10 miles to Amboy we were driving a nice straight stretch.  Sped up to feel the wind a little.  Let off and let it slow a bit.  We came to the bottom of a rise.  There were no signs for a dip-but there was one.  In fact it was a double dip.  The suspension bottomed out and I heard a hard scrape.  Then I smelled transmission fluid and saw a cloud behind us.  Reached over and stuck it in neutral and turned the car off.  Coasted to the top of the next rise and pulled over.  Transmission fluid pouring out of a gash in the front of the pan sump.  This point is one of the furthest points away from an interstate on the whole trip.  Thankfully we had cell service.  Finally found a tow company that would come out.  They took us 100 miles back west to Hesperia.  Over 4 hours have passed. No lunch.  Dinner was at Texas Roadhouse.  Had a friend that was going to get an AODE pan and bring it the next morning.  We stayed in the Courtyard Marriott.
Day 4-breakfast was bars.  My friend got a pan and brought it, unfortunately it was an AOD pan and won’t work (1 bolt hole is different and is inside the gasket so it can’t seal).  Found an O’riellys about 6 miles away with a 4R70W pan.  Get the pan, put it on, and get rolling.  26 hours later we are back “to the scene of the crime” about 10 miles to Amboy.  We travel to Amboy, to Roy’s Café intending to eat lunch.  They have only chips and drinks so that is lunch.  Get some photos and head on.  66 East of Amboy is closed so we have to head back to the interstate.  We bypass some RT66 things that are North of the interstate to save some time.  We go through Needles then Oatman.  I start to realize that I have grossly overestimated the average speed we could do (I said 45, really should be more like 35) and the miles per day (I said 300, should be closer to 150) in order to see and enjoy much.  We finally got out of California and headed for Williams AZ.  We stop in Kingman and try to buy another transmission pan but they didn’t stock it.  Bought a gallon of fluid just in case. We press on and it is getting darker.  To my disappointment we do not get to go to any attractions in Hackberry or Seligman.  Most of the things to do and see on RT66 if it involves a business are 9-5.  We did eat dinner in Seligman at Westside Lilo’s and it was very good.  We push on to Williams for the night.  We stay in the America’s Best Value Inn.  Side note, East past Seligman RT66 has basically been consumed by the interstate for the rest of Arizona.
Day 5- It has snowed.  We eat breakfast at Carl’s Jr.  and head for the Grand Canyon. We arrive and pay the $35 to get into the park.  Neat place, but there are so many clouds and fog that we don’t see much.  We wait a bit thinking it might burn off, but then it starts sleeting.  We leave and go to Flagstaff.  Hard snow part of the way down.  Lunch at Miz Zips was good.  Saw a transmission shop and tried to buy an AODE pan, but he had no cores.  Bought another 4R70W pan at O’riellys just in case.  Headed for Winslow stopping at the Twin Arrows for a photo.  In Winslow took the photo on the corner as one should.  Visited a local museum and the La Posada Hotel.  Noticed that the insides of both front tires were wearing bad.  Stopped in Holbrook at the Wigwam Motel for a photo. Found a place in Gallup NM that would loan us a jack to swap the tires so we headed there.  Stayed (and dinner) at the El Rancho Hotel.  It was a nice place.
Day 6-Bars for breakfast.  Borrowed 2 jacks and put front tires on rear and vise-versa.  The guy said the toe-in was off from hitting a “chuckhole”.  I had assumed it was caster/camber, but I took him at his word and found an alignment shop in Gallup that got us right in.  They adjusted the toe and we had no further problems with tires so that turned out to be a good call.  Left there about 10:00.    As we headed East, we stopped for a photo in Thoreau NM.  There sounded like a loose bolt rattling underneath so I stopped to check.  I found that the transmission pan was leaking again with a steady drip.  Called and found a place in Grants 30 miles away that would loan me a jack.  I have another pan and I have fluid so I could do on the side of the road but I would rather not.   Just before I got to the jack in Grants, I see a transmission shop.  I see lots of cores out back.  I go in and ask, do you have an AODE pan?  He looks on the wall and doesn’t, but he says there are cores out back, you are welcome to look.  He does! $30 and I have the pan I need.  I take it with the new filter I have and the fluid and swap pans.  No more transmission problems the rest of the trip.  Lunch at Subway.  We head East and end up in Santa Rosa.  Dinner at the Comet II.  Hotel was the Route 66 Inn where Elvis once stayed and enjoyed the heated pool.  But that was a long time ago……
Day 7-Carls Jr for breakfast.  Went to the RT66 Auto museum.  Not my kind of cars, but it was OK.  Went to Tucumcari.  Went to the Tee Pee Curio shop.  Had a nice talk with the owner of the Blue Swan Motel.  Of all the people we met on the trip, he showed the most interest in us and the car.  Wish we had stayed there instead of Santa Rosa (but where we stayed in Santa Rosa was fine).  Did a few miles of gravel RT66 and then went to Russel’s Truck Stop/Car Museum.  Well worth the stop (and free).  Made it to Texas and the RT66 MidPoint Café in Adrian.  Went to the Cadillac Ranch.  Interesting, but I don’t need to go back. Cheapest fuel of the trip at $2.31 in Amarillo at Sams Club (most expensive we paid was in California at $4.89 but we saw well over $5 there)  Late lunch at the Big Texan Steak Ranch. Did not try the 72oz challenge, but it is live on YouTube when people do.  Saw some sights along the way to Shamrock.  Took photos in Alanreed at an old station that is somewhat restored.  Took day and night photos at the restored Conoco U-Drop-Inn in Shamrock.  Stayed at the Blarney Inn which was the least expensive hotel of the trip at $36.  But I would stay there again anytime.  Small Dinner at Rustys in Shamrock.
Day 8- McDonalds for breakfast.  Headed into Oklamoma.  Stopped at the small Jail in Texola.  Photos by an interesting bridge near Sayre.  RT66 museum in Elk City.  A nice general museum, but only 1 building of 17 is devoted to RT66.  Then the Route 66 Museum in Clinton is only about RT66.  Both were OK, but Clinton was much better for us.  Lunch at Quiznos.  Headed for South Tulsa.  Photos in Bridgeport, El Reno, OK City, and Arcadia.  Bought sodas at Pops in Arcadia and had BBQ for dinner in Stroud at 5-Star.  Stayed in Glenpool at the Quality Inn.
Day 9-Breakfast in the hotel.  Headed to Catoosa to see the blue whale.  Saw the totem pole park in Foyil.  Went through Miami.  A note here.  Along the entire trip there was a complete lack of classic cars.  I guess I expected a few a day, but I counted 3 that could have been on RT66 and maybe 10-15 more that belonged where I saw them.  Did see a local ’66 Mustang in Miami.  Went through the few miles in Kansas stopping for photos at an interesting bridge.  Finished RT66 for us with lunch at Babe’s Drive Through in Joplin.  Then headed 250 miles South to Little Rock to see my son.
Day 10-after lunch 450 miles from Little Rock to Chattanooga.  Got home about 10:30.

A better 10 day plan for us might have been: Ship car to LA, pick up car and drive to Barstow. 1-Barstow to Needles. 2-Needles to Seligman AZ. 3-Seligman (to Grand Canyon) to Holbrook.  4-Hookbrook to Gallup NM. 5-Gallup to Santa Fe. 6-Santa Fe to Tucumcari.  7-Tucumcari to Shamrock TX. 8-Shamrock to Arcadia OK. 9-Arcadia to Joplin MO. 10-home.  Really 2 weeks or more would have been better, but some is better than none.

Final observations, in addition to overall observations at the top:
1-Skip the big towns.  Should have started in Barstow, not Santa Monica.
2-Spend more time on the small towns.  Assume 35mph average and no more than 150 miles a day on 66.  The most “66ish” roads were Barstow CA to Seligman AZ, Gallup NM to Albuquerque NM, Tucumcari NM to Joplin MO (bypassing OKC and Tulsa and running the frontage roads of Texas and Oklahoma)
3-Classic car may not be the way to go. You need something with suspension and ground clearance.  Rough roads are found throughout RT66.  Oklahoma has concrete roads with expansion joints that you will remember. If you do a classic car, I suggest a big trunk so you can leave the windows down.  I suggest something that is easy to get in and out of.  I suggest non low-profile tires so the bumps are absorbed better.  I suggest good seats.  I suggest heat that works.  You need a car that will go slow and cruise and go fast on the interstate; many times do both things back-to-back.  Mustang had good seats and heat.  It loved to go 45 with windows down.  But at 75 the wind noise is so bad you can’t hear anything, even windows up.  It was marginal on getting in/out of.  With a 22 gal tank and 20mpg we had plenty of range.  I think that was a good thing.
4-Don’t forget about time zones.  Especially if going West to East.  We were on Pacific time all the way through Arizona (no daylight savings there).  Then Mountain started in New Mexico and ended at Texas.  Then Central from the Texas/NM border until we were 20 miles from home we changed to Eastern.
5-I would build in a day for disasters.  We pushed and made it to our planned stopping point, but we missed a lot of little things that I really wanted to do to get there.
6-Most RT66 businesses are 8-5 (or less) for hours.  Plan accordingly if there is something you really want to do.
7-We had no trouble finding (inexpensive) hotels. We used Hotels.com each night and found a place.  Then verified reviews on Google.  Kudos again to my excellent navigator.  I don’t remember a bad night anywhere.  We had no hotel reservations after the first night of the trip.  I think this is a great approach as it does not tie you to anything and allows flexibility.  We were mindful of our final destination and general schedule as we both had to be back at work, but really did what we wanted when we wanted to.
8-Security.  Car has a trunk mounted battery with a disconnect in the trunk.  We had a cable lock on the hood.  We had a cable lock through a front tire around a tie rod.  Nothing that would stop a determined thief, but a discouragement to joy riders and maybe enough to attract attention if somebody is removing it.

Took a lot of photos, but no way to share.  Sorry about that.

Last edited by markdtn (5/04/2021 1:26 PM)

5/04/2021 3:19 PM  #2

Re: Just got back from a 10 day RT66 road trip in my '66

Excellent account of your trip, thank you. You must have been one of the first cars that went thru after Hwy 1 south of Big Sur was opened due to the road being washed out. I love that drive on Hwy 1 between Monterey and San Luis Obispo.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/04/2021 3:40 PM  #3

Actually, RT66 has never been a great drive.  Most motels were bad, and the food in diners epitimized the term "greasy spoon". 

My first time was in 1952.  My dad returned from Korea and was transferred to Langley Field, Va.  So we drove from LA.  The air in the car was blue most of the time because of the many detours, rough roads, and bad accommodations.  In those days US hiways were sadly underfunded and they were pretty bad.  A decade later I drove LA to Witchita Falls, Tx to Shephard AFB in my hot rodded Austin Mini. (How about 110hp in a car that came with about 40.)  Roads were still horrible, but the drive was uneventfull.  Since then I have taken it a number of times.   Every time the road was worse, so I can sympathize with you, markdtn.  And I applaude you for your courage and persistance.  

I'll never do that again.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/04/2021 3:56 PM  #4

Thanks for sharing your Route 66 trip with us!
I did a similar trip back in 2010 in my classic Mustang, but we were going from North Carolina to California. I did the trip with my father in-law. It was one of the absolute best trips I ever did and I have many photos of my car parked outside old abandoned gas stations, or hotels on the historic Route 66. You are right about how much Interstate 40 has eaten up the old Route 66. According to our GPS, a lot of Interstate 40 was built right over the top of Route 66 and there are only sections left where you need to get off the Interstate to go and drive down. We also drove up via the Grand Canyon (fog set in for us too, but it cleared as we drove around the rim) and Hoover Dam.
I loved doing the drive in my Mustang and would definitely do it all over again. I did a service on the car and fitted new tires before we left and that was it. I didn't take any spare parts either. My car just drove and drove and drove. Maybe I set my car up different to you, but my car has always been nice to drive and it will sit on 75mph quite nicely. A couple of years ago I re-sound proofed the car and fitted MDF panels to the rear seat and parcel shelf. This made such a massive difference with noise and I am convinced that a lot of the noise comes through the trunk. Having conversation at highway speeds is fine in my car.
The only problem that I can recall on my trip was an annoying squeak coming from the upper control arm pivot on one side. I fitted cheap junk back in 2003 and it bit me on the backside, but as a make do I just bought a spray can lubricant and would spray the mizack out of that upper control arm each day. I since fitted Moog stuff and it is all good now.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

5/04/2021 5:33 PM  #5

Looking forward to finishing the truck and taking 66.  Thanks for the great descriptions!   I guess I better get a new pan on my 4R70W as well. The 56 sits pretty low!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/05/2021 7:18 AM  #6

Great write-up, glad you had a good time, thanks for sharing.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/05/2021 4:37 PM  #7

Nice write up..in deed!!!
I/we went out to Phe-nix a few years back from Oklahoma. We picked up several of the "pieces" of route66 on the way. Stayed at the Blue Swallow in Tucumcara some other places. Kinda interesting but.........it would have been a blast back in the 60's (pre-marriage) when it was still in tact. Prolly woulda seen the guys-in-the-vette saving the world!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/05/2021 9:16 PM  #8

Awesome story. Sounds like it was a great time. Thanks for sharing. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/06/2021 1:34 PM  #9

Yep, great write-up. Best I've seen from a real-world perspective. I never made it there, and now I don't have to, since you described your road trip so well. Thanks for taking the time to post your story.

5/06/2021 6:56 PM  #10

Nice write up on Rte. 66
That trip was one of the first I wanted to do soon after I got my 68 back in the mid nineties.
My wife and I have done most of whatever remains of the “Mother Road” from Jolliet Il to just the other side of Flagstaff Arizona, although not in the same vehicle or at the same time. It took a lot of on and off freeways to see the remains. I would guess that 75% of the time on 66 was in the 68 along with three other Mustangs. It was great fun with the other Mustangs, always drawing a lot of attention where ever we stopped.
We did notice many of the original sections mostly in the southwest that have been revitalized to promote tourism with many new big chain hotels close by.
Here are a few pictures of some of our trip.

Last edited by Rudi (5/06/2021 7:02 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/06/2021 11:06 PM  #11

Rudi looks to me a bit like Joe Walsh in that pic.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/07/2021 10:43 AM  #12

Thanks for the great write up on the adventure you'll never forget! On my bucket list is Route 66 in my 66 convertible and I will reference your write up. Next week, 600 miles to and through Death Valley, or bust, in a 1915 Model T. Wish me luck.

5/08/2021 8:36 PM  #13

Great write up !!!
I've traveled a lot of your route 66 trip from childhood to now !! ( Southern California born -n- raised drove truck for my  Father ) most of it from  Ca. to Ok,    my last encounter was Mustang, OK  just outside ok city after I moved to Bedford, Tx 

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

5/08/2021 9:07 PM  #14

MS wrote:

Looking forward to finishing the truck and taking 66. Thanks for the great descriptions! I guess I better get a new pan on my 4R70W as well. The 56 sits pretty low!

Sounds like you need to build a tunnel and raise transmission and engine up a little maybe add a skid pan to protect it.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

5/10/2021 11:21 AM  #15

I had a blast.  I would recommend anybody using a 4R70W to use an AODE pan if you have any hint of ground clearance issue.

Wish I could post a few photos, but Photobucket won't allow that anymore and I don't have another host.  Suggestions on a free host?

5/10/2021 12:52 PM  #16

I use Imgur.com, I started using it a soon as photobucket crapped out

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.