FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2021 12:02 PM  #1

Fuel line routing

For the small crowd that may have done this....

66 coupe with efi and a fuel return line... where did you physically run the supply & return lines?  I have a Tanks Inc tank, and I don't like my original routing.  What kind of fittings did you use where the lines exit the trunk compartment?
What kind of fuel line did you use?

Thanks!

5/26/2021 8:11 AM  #2

Re: Fuel line routing

I used 5/16” nylon for both supply and return (stock 5.0L).
I am also using stock foxbody fuel rails joining nylon in front of block in stock location to factory spring lock connectors.
All parts were sourced from Rock Auto.
Not all adapters are available or correct on Rock Auto according to product description.
So I I have a short piece of High pressure fuel injection rubber hose out of tank.
I am using Spectra 22 gallon FI tank for 70 Mustang.
I considered Tanks, but didn’t want fuel connections inside trunk.
Just make sure to put sealer on threads of your hardware for vapors and liquid.

AGS and S.U.R.&R. are the only nylon supply companies that were available when I performed my EFI conversion.

Again I used 5/16” for all nylon.
Used 3/8” FI rubber out of tank.
The quick disconnects work very nice too.

AGS FLNR525 = 5/16” Nylon (25’)..:.SUR&R has longer lengths available.
Hindsight should have just ordered a 50’ length.

AGS FLRQ040 = 5/16” steel to 5/16” Nylon straight fitting

S.U.R.&R. K310 = big spring lock

S.U.R.&R. K320 = small spring lock

AGS FLRL150 = 5/16” quick connect to nylon

Last edited by Nos681 (5/26/2021 8:16 AM)

5/26/2021 8:57 AM  #3

On Cara’s 65, I used the factory 5/16” steel line for the return line and ran a new 5/16” steel line on the passenger side for supply. That let the line tie into the original foxbody supply line on the engine on the passenger side.

I know lots of cars use plastic tubing now, but I prefer to use steel lines

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/26/2021 9:08 AM  #4

I have a Tanks Inc tank with the lines coming out the top of the tank from the pump.  I used  5/16 plastic fuel line from the vapor port to a 2000 Mustang charcoal canister in the engine compartment.  I have a 3/8 line from the tank to a filter in the RH muffler cavity underneath.  I have a 5/16 return line from the filter back to tank.  I have a Mastercool tool for making hose quick connects.  It will also push quick connects into the  plastic line.  I have roughly 6" plastic lines from the tank to the hard lines at the filter.  I have roughly 6" plastic lines at the filter then a 3/8 hard line from the filter that goes towards the engine compartment, converts to a 5/16 line and then connects to the factory braided line to the fuel rail.  This is with a 2000 Explorer 5.0 with "returnless" fuel using a 2000 Corvette filter with internal regulator.  I made a cover to go over the lines in the trunk to protect them.  My 3 lines from the pump go straight forward through the forward trunk floor through a big rubber grommet, then over the axle and head towards the right side muffler indention (I have Arvinode chambered exhaust).  The lines are held up by cushioned clamps to the floor.

When I had the 1988 Cougar 5.0 I had the same setup to the filter, but I had a return line from the fuel rail to where the filter is and joined that to the line to tank. The fuel lines both ran forward past the RH front wheel and used the Cougar lines to connect to the engine.  I had quick connects as needed to join the Cougar lines to the ones I made.

I strongly recommend using canister purge on any EFI conversion.  It keeps fuel smells to a minimum.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YFgcZQgd6eFFK35U8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xPEES9xbZe3Q9KA97
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jsW9MpGCPPy3hf6MA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tbojesGgHCtvEVhX9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9GH4GRzFobn8Jhmp6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iewB6bxDpAJHEPRP8

Last edited by markdtn (5/26/2021 10:18 AM)

5/26/2021 4:02 PM  #5

I plan to make steel hard lines after subframe connectors are added.
Just hasn’t happened yet.

5/27/2021 5:08 AM  #6

The last photo with the charcoal cannister was the original setup for an '88 Cougar 5.0 it was taken when I pulled that engine to put in the Explorer 5.0.  Where the vapor line comes through the apron the fuel lines  originally came there too.  I also added some spring wrap at that location so the vapor line didn't get a kink in it.  The vapor line is still there now but the fuel line comes up under the heater motor. (and did away with the starter solenoid since the later starter has a solenoid on it)

If you are going to make your own EFI hard lines I would look at a Mastercool tool.  It makes those lines so simple.  Also double flare brake lines are easy too.  Don't get to use it too often, but it is one of my favorite tools.

5/27/2021 7:54 AM  #7

Thanks all for the ideas.  Yeah, it'll be steel lines as much as possible. The routing is complicated with everything we got going on underneath.  

5/27/2021 10:15 AM  #8

TimC wrote:

Thanks all for the ideas.  Yeah, it'll be steel lines as much as possible. The routing is complicated with everything we got going on underneath.  

What EFI system are your running?

5/27/2021 10:50 AM  #9

TimC wrote:

I hear you.  With battery in the trunk, I did not want the fuel line and positive battery cable crossing.  I thought long and hard about running the fuel line in the driveshaft tunnel, but just could not bring myself to do it.  I did put the negative cable there.  I spiral armored as much of the fuel line as I could. I ran mostly steel line, but did consider plastic line and creating some kind of gutter/track to run it in to protect it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.