FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2021 10:24 AM  #1

289 bearings and rings

Working on my brother in laws 289, I started taking this thing apart found cam still had assembly lube on it. . Also someone was extremely happy with RTV its every where . Question is can I  reuse bearing and rings as long as  they stay in order. My thought is it never was fired.Thanks

If its worth doing do it right !

5/27/2021 10:55 AM  #2

Re: 289 bearings and rings

So you have a fresh rebuilt engine that has been sitting a long time?  And you are taking it apart and then putting it back together?  To me as long as these were not damaged I don't see why you can't reuse them.  Are you sure the bearing caps were on correctly?  What are you finding that you don't like besides a  bunch of RTV?

5/27/2021 11:21 AM  #3

I see no issue with re-using the bearings and rings on a motor that's never been ran. If it's been sitting a long time, I would want to make sure the rings were not stuck to the piston . 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

5/27/2021 11:36 AM  #4

it turns freely  it is in need of good cleaning an d paint ,Also i cant see any cross hatch on cylinder walls. Never liked finishing a project . 

5/27/2021 2:29 PM  #5

Made executive decision look out now, Pulled number one piston rod bearing are std size bore 4.030.will mic the journals order bearing kit check the clearances . also figure what rings i need and check end gap after ball honing cylinder walls . Any thing missing add to the list please

5/27/2021 2:38 PM  #6

No crosshatch on cylinders????  Is it a worn-out 4.030"  Figure out exactly what you have before proceeding.  If it is 4.030" and worn out (no crosshatch) you need to measure the bores.  No point putting a junk block back together with new parts that could be used on another good block.
At minimum, if the bore size checks out within spec, you will need to hone it.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/27/2021 3:41 PM  #7

I agree with MS  I was wondering why you are taking apart a motor that was rebuilt and never ran, but if you can't see a crosshatch, something isn't right. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

5/27/2021 5:53 PM  #8

Check the taper in the cylinders making sure they are not big at the bottom and good at the top.
IF...it mics OK I would dingle berry hone the cylinders....re-ring it and put a HUGE camshaft in it!!! (Of course!)
IF your not gonna race it..........just a street cruiser/bash mobile........very few trips to 6000 RPM.....I bet a 100,000 miles is NOT outta the question.
Run-it & enjoy-it!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/28/2021 4:41 AM  #9

If the engine never fired and all of the clearances check out I wouldn't hesitate to reuse the rings and bearings.  The biggest thing is, when going over someone else's work check everything.  My assumption is always that they checked nothing and everything could potentially be wrong.  I've seen machine shops supply 0.020 under bearings for a 0.010 under crank (that ended well), and other glaring mistakes over the years. 

People get overly concerned about crosshatch.  A fresh bore shouldn't show much cross hatch.  Cross hatch gets more noticeable as the rings seat.  I've never seen a bore so worn out it had no visible cross hatch in it.  Seeing cross hatch doesn't mean the bore is good.  You can run a hone through a bore that's tapered, out of round, etc. and put cross hatch in it.  Is that a good bore that will have good ring seal and last a long time?  Absolutely not.  By contrast, some rings require a bore finish that shows almost no cross hatch, yet will provide 200k or more of reliable service with excellent ring seal.  If there's doubt on the bores, take it to a machine shop and have them check the bore for taper, round, etc.  Ring seal is the #1 most important thing in an engine.  All the trick parts in the world won't help an engine that has bad ring seal.  By contrast a modest cam and mild heads can make great torque from an engine with great ring seal. 

5/28/2021 5:14 AM  #10

After removing number one piston this what  I came up with someone installed a cam in it bearings are stamped standard and have been ran no assembly lube and look ran ,Plan to mic it check bore size and determine what to do next. The machine shop that I used in past is now closed. By no means is this a fresh rebuild.

5/28/2021 7:45 AM  #11

So they put a cam in a motor that already had mileage on it, but never fired it up?

5/28/2021 8:31 AM  #12

That is my thoughts exactly. So now to see what he wants to do with it , If bores and crank check O.K. Probably re ring it  possible rod and main bearing  change also . 

5/28/2021 8:51 AM  #13

If it has mileage on it I would rering and replace all bearings.  Oil pump and timing set too. 

5/28/2021 10:55 AM  #14

Bearings are so inexpensive I have never, ever considered reusing old bearings.

5/28/2021 4:36 PM  #15

Plan now is to replace main and rod bearing journals were OK and didn't see any bearing problems . The bores look good no ridges , I checked the rings in the bore and on top ring only had  .010 gap that seemed close to me,Gap was same top and bottom of travel.  

5/28/2021 7:34 PM  #16

KM wrote:

Plan now is to replace main and rod bearing journals were OK and didn't see any bearing problems . The bores look good no ridges , I checked the rings in the bore and on top ring only had  .010 gap that seemed close to me,Gap was same top and bottom of travel.  

Ring end gap is a good way to measure cylinder diameter variations by comparing gap top, center and bottom like you did.  However, as you observed, 0.010” gap is too small. You need at least 0.016” gap, and that vary depending on the type of piston.  Ask Al McGee what happens to an engine with inadequate ring gaps. He learned first-hand.

It is great that you found that issue before reassembly.

5/29/2021 12:46 AM  #17

At least now it seems that it was a good idea to tear it down ,I read the posts about the problem with ring gap . Now to find a set of rings.

5/29/2021 6:47 AM  #18

It sounds like they used file fit rings and didn't file them.  This would lead me to question what else got screwed up.  I would take the block to the machine shop and get the bores checked.  Possibly the machine shop did everything right and the guy who assembled it was at fault for the rings, but I'd have them check piston to wall clearance and check the bores for round.  You can check taper with a spot check with a ring, but round is a lot harder to check without a dial bore gauge.  It may cost a little money, but its this far apart, why take a chance? 

5/29/2021 9:06 AM  #19

Good point my biggest problem I need to find a machine shop , The one i used in past is now history , Seems like a lot of those places have gone away, I think its kinda sad too .

5/29/2021 5:47 PM  #20

Bring it to my guy in Charleston!!!
Simmons Balancing and Machine Shop
Be prepared to wait.......wait.....wait.
Excellent work, I guess that's why they stay 'backed-up'.
Oh.....DON'T walk in talking on your cell...Ms. Vivian will immediately tell you to go outside until your finished...PERIOD!
Old skool quality.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/30/2021 7:20 AM  #21

If you know any decent mechanics I would start by asking them.  That's how I found my current shop when my previous one closed.  Also maybe another thread on the forum asking for a good shop in your area. 

5/31/2021 4:57 AM  #22

Thanks I may have located a shop .

6/17/2021 4:35 AM  #23

update on rebuild , Finally got the block and internals to machine shop. he inspected the block and bearings ,Said it looked like it was assembled dirty due scratches on bearing, bores have some scuffing looks like either piston slap or to tight in bores.Previous post only had .010 ring clearance. Block to be re cleaned bores checked. Checked for cracks. Hopefully its a usable block.   .   

6/18/2021 4:25 AM  #24

Machine shop got back to me seems the cylinders are egg shaped. .030 over top and bottom about two to three thousands larger in middle..My thoughts seems even with that small expansion and contraction of rings would be hard on them. Bore to .040 over ? The other option we have a complete engine from a 67 cougar may strip it down look at that block and see where its at. First block is a 1966 casting.   

6/18/2021 6:07 AM  #25

The older blocks can be bored more, and 0.040 may be fine.  On a 5.0 I would get it sonic checked at that overbore, might not be a bad idea on your 289.  Generally the walls are thicker, but they are more prone to core shift. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.