FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2021 7:19 PM  #1

One step forward........

This past week, I replaced the ring and pinion in my 65 for the second time. Last time up, I could never get it quiet when the gears were "floating" - neither accelerating or decelerating despite a good looking mesh pattern. This time - things went well, no noise, and cured a slight highway vibration by switching pinion yokes. I was happy happy! Parked it in the garage and had a big smile on my face. Until last night - I heard a TREMENDOUS crashing sound from the attached garage. Went out to look and found that my spare parts shelf had torn its brackets out of the studs and dumped the entire contends of many heavy tupperwares onto the floor - and the front of my Mustang. Not too much damage, but enough. Large three to four inch dent punched into the hood, bumper dented, paint chipped off of both headlight buckets. Disgusting.

I have Haggerty insurance, question is, do I make a claim, or just bight the bullet and pay out of pocket? Will Haggerty cancel me after paying the claim? Will they raise my rates?

I don't think I can post pics.......

The paint is single stage urethane - don't know if that can be painted to match or not. I'm not a bodyman - I'll have to take it to a few places to see what they think. Anyone have any thoughts?

6/07/2021 7:44 PM  #2

Re: One step forward........

Report it to them immediately.  They will cover everything, except maybe your underdesigned shelving.

I doubt they will cancel you unless you have repeated claim history

Your homeowners insurance should cover the shelving, but they will put a red flag in your file for “next time” and the deductible probably makes it not worth messing with.

But definitely get Hagerty involved with the car damage.

And, be advised, Dynacorn hoods do not fit worth crap.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/07/2021 8:38 PM  #3

Thanks for the input. Years ago, I searched for a long time to find a nice original hood to replace the one I had that somebody installed hood pins into. I still have the hood pinned hood if I get desperate. I remember back then that everyone had a low opinion of the repro hoods. I had hoped that things had gotten better over the last ten years. Guess not.

6/07/2021 8:49 PM  #4

I think single stage paint is EZ'er to repair than BC/CC!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/08/2021 4:58 AM  #5

I wouldn't repair BC/CC; I'd respray the whole panel.  Over time you'll have issues with where it was blended.  Honestly, since its a hood anyway I'd just respray the whole hood and be done. 

As for the insurance claim, how well do you know your agent?  Were I in such a situation I would simply call my agent and talk to him about my best course of action.  There's a lot that could come into play in something like this.  The damage resulted from a failure in a building, not another car, or even a stationary object on the road.  My gut says the car insurance would look to make the homeowner's insurance pay for it.  Its all in how the various policies are worded.  Then if its on the homeowner's policy, is it worth starting a claim history and losing the deductible?  My homeowner's deducible is so high it would never be worth it (I use insurance as catastrophic loss coverage because I'm a contractor and would fix it myself anyway, so its not worth paying higher rates for a low deductible).  If your deductible is really low it might be worth it, but on average homeowner's deductibles are $500-$1,000, so probably not.  I think my first step might actually be to get a price on doing the repair.  Then you know how much you are talking about to help inform your decision. 

I'd definitely use an original hood if it needs to be replaced.  The old hood with the pins could be repaired I'm sure.  That would be a better course of action than a repro IMO. 

6/08/2021 10:18 AM  #6

Kevin, 
My original hood had hood pin holes trashed into it .
The holes were filled with fiberglass and bondo.
When I stripped the hood the repair was not to painful.
Used some left over sheet metal from quarter panel repairs.
Careful fitment and slowly stich welding it fixed both sides,
Yes I agree replacement panels do not fit well if at all.

Cman

6/08/2021 11:00 AM  #7

MS wrote:

Report it to them immediately.  They will cover everything, except maybe your underdesigned shelving.

I doubt they will cancel you unless you have repeated claim history

Your homeowners insurance should cover the shelving, but they will put a red flag in your file for “next time” and the deductible probably makes it not worth messing with.

But definitely get Hagerty involved with the car damage.

And, be advised, Dynacorn hoods do not fit worth crap.

I agree with this.

Your damage was caused by falling objects, which is a Comprehensive claim under your policy. Neither insurance carrier for which I worked, State Farm and Farmers, increased your rates for Comp claims.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.