FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2021 4:45 PM  #1

Anybody ever buy from AMD (Auto Metal Direct)

I had a guy stop buy interested in some spare 66 Fairlane body part. He seen my bumpers (not on the car) and mentioned they were in good shape and asked if I was going to re-chrome them. He said he read good reviews from AMD and thought that may be a better way to go. My bumpers look great for a daily driver but with a black paint job I would like a new look. How well do re-chrome bumpers hold up? What I have to sell is both fenders (solid except for a small whole in 1) a good hood and trunk.  These are all original Ford parts, you don't find much parts this good around here. Figured that could buy both bumpers or go towards a re-chrome. I guess I'm asking about AMD quality.

Front Bumper - 66-67 Ford Fairlane 1966 Ford Fairlane Front Bumpers | AMD 100-8466 (autometaldirect.com)

Last edited by wsinsle (6/10/2021 5:36 PM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

6/10/2021 5:18 PM  #2

Re: Anybody ever buy from AMD (Auto Metal Direct)

One of my big regrets is buying Nordan  bumpers instead of getting the O/E ones rechromed.
At the time rechroming were over $900CDN each and repops were about $100 USD.
The Nordans were laser cut flash chromed. Rechroming  process is copper plating then nickle followed by the chrome, they need up looking like jewelry.
I wish I could go back in time.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/10/2021 9:14 PM  #3

I've been watching this channel  The craig909 ,
He is using AMD sheet metal to rebuild his  64 Galaxie , looks like great fit and quality
Cman

6/11/2021 4:53 AM  #4

I've heard good things about AMD from Chevy guys I know.  They didn't seem to have much Ford stuff when last I checked, but I guess they are branching out.  The guys I know have Camaros and Chevelles and all said the stuff fit like OEM. 

6/11/2021 12:01 PM  #5

cman66 wrote:

He is using AMD sheet metal to rebuild his  64 Galaxie , looks like great fit and quality
Cman

That guy is awesome!  Some impressive work going on there!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/12/2021 12:44 PM  #6

Greg B wrote:

cman66 wrote:

Cman

That guy is awesome! Some impressive work going on there!

Watched a few of his videos, impressive. He did make good comments about AMD. Looked into ordering the bumpers, the rear was out of stock. Shipping on 1 was $13 + $25 over weight charge so they don't beat you up their either.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

6/12/2021 2:03 PM  #7

My bumpers were in decent shape so I had them rechromed. That’s the road I wanted to take.

When I added the economics of new versus rechrome, I could buy new bumpers twice and still be cheaper than the chrome shop.

I’m curious, is your old front bumper about the same weight as the new one?

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

6/12/2021 3:27 PM  #8

I still have cheap rechromed bumpers on my car.  They were from a place that bought used bumpers and then rechromed them and sold them to you.  They aren't the best and at some point I'll replace them with my originals which I kept to have rechromed in the future.  I didn't have a spare $600 in 1994 at 17, so I did what I could afford.

6/12/2021 6:53 PM  #9

In the old days I've had parts chromed that would evaporate ( if you can call it that) down to the copper after a few years.

Last edited by HudginJ3 (6/12/2021 6:53 PM)

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

6/13/2021 6:11 AM  #10

HudginJ3 wrote:

In the old days I've had parts chromed that would evaporate ( if you can call it that) down to the copper after a few years.

Evaporating chrome. Must be what's going on with some wheels on the stangs, but only getting down to the nickle

6/14/2021 5:48 AM  #11

The nickel sulfate is the most expensive chemical used in the chroming process, which explains why cheap chrome uses so little of it.  Parts are supposed to sit in the nickel for 45-60 minutes, but the cheap places are pulling them in far less time than that.  Its actually the nickel that gives the part its shine.  The chromium is just a thin, super hard layer on top of the nickel that protects the nickel.  The chrome layer used is so thin as to be almost transparent. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (6/14/2021 5:48 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.