FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2013 5:24 PM  #1

70 mach 1 with non original diff.

I need some help to Id my diff and tire and wheel suggestions but cannot upload pics yet.Maybe this will help me as it will be my second post.

4/11/2013 9:57 AM  #2

Re: 70 mach 1 with non original diff.

Terry M
Get that third post and photo in

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

4/11/2013 4:26 PM  #3

If you can find a tag, that number helps to figure out what rearend you have.  UltraStang has a lot of information about Ford rearends on his website. 

Here is a link:   http://www.ultrastang.com/info1.php

11 working days till retirement!  Counting it down.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

4/13/2013 1:27 PM  #4

Here are the pics i took and it is 58" from one wheel mounting surface to the other.I would call this my width.I know it's 325 gears and a posi trac.I would like to know what it is out of and what i could use for wheel and tires without clearnce issues on my 70 mach 1.
I just finiched fixing damage to the wheel wells the previous boneheads did to make the big tires and wheels fit.Thanks Terry

4/13/2013 3:36 PM  #5

What is center-to-center distance between spring pershes?  Also, sometimes an overall view helps as much as closeups...

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/13/2013 3:43 PM  #6

Sure looks like my 57 ford passenger car rear end......it's a nine inch rear. Probably put in yours to be narrower than stock for wide wheels?

4/13/2013 5:11 PM  #7

42-1/2or 42-5/8" from center of spring purchases or spring alignment bolt it is hard to get it exactly due to the hump where the gears are, being higher than the axle housing but that is pretty darn close and it was in the car and i measured the center to center distance of the rear rails and it's the same as the above measurement.Here is an overall pic steve.
What is the distance from wheel mating surface to wheel mating surface on the rear that would have came in the car and just as important what would have been the distance from the wheel mounting surface in to the center of the spring purchase.
My hope is once i figure out what i have for room i can look at what i should be looking for in the way of tires and wheels.
Thanks

4/15/2013 4:58 PM  #8

This is some info i got from another steve.Thanks for the pics.He was fery helpfull and gave me some pn's should i need them.

The 9-inch 3rd member is from a later model vehicle than the housing itself but the 9-inch small bearing rear end housing is from a 1957 Ford big car.
The rear discs in your photos are Mk VII rear discs, but those are not my brackets. The ones in the photos look like some that someone made (homemade). The rear disc assemblies could have come from an '84-'90 Mk VII, '84-'86 Mustang SVO or an '84-'87 Lincoln Continental.

Now i need to know what will fit this setup for wheels and tires.

4/15/2013 5:07 PM  #9

Those brake brackets are scary thin.  I would replace.  Also, the ebrake cable mounts are going to interfere with the bumpstops.  I am thinking alcohol was involved in that design.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.