FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/21/2021 6:19 AM  #1

Fitting reverse lights to a Mustang that didn't come with them

My car never came with reverse lights and I've been considering adding them for the following two reasons:
1. Better visibility when reversing at night
2. To alert others when I am reversing
Has anyone done this? Is there a template to cut the holes in the rear valance? What set-up is there for the reverse light switch on the transmission? Where is the wiring routed from the back?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

9/21/2021 6:37 AM  #2

Re: Fitting reverse lights to a Mustang that didn't come with them

Was the reverse light switch on the old manual transmissions or was it activated by the shifter?

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/21/2021 7:50 AM  #3

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/21/2021 7:53 AM  #4

This photo from the Internets looks like you mount the switch on the transmission for the 4 speed.  I think the 3 speed switch mounted by the shifter.

9/21/2021 8:47 AM  #5

I added reverse lights to my 65, I believe there was a template available from the supply house, Mustangs Unlimited, (now out of business) but it was a long time ago. 
I'll note that the reverse light wiring was installed from the trunk to the interior, I just had to connect it to the plug under the dash.   
Having had a 3-speed manual Mustang years ago, the reverse switch was mounted similar to the 4-speed and was activated by the reverse shift lever.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/21/2021 10:13 AM  #6

Rufus68 wrote:

This photo from the Internets looks like you mount the switch on the transmission for the 4 speed.  I think the 3 speed switch mounted by the shifter.

That is an aftermarket shifter and switch. The Ford shifter bolted directly to the transmission and I see an adapter plate in that photo. The wires on the Ford switch were made as part of the switch and were not attached with screws.

9/21/2021 10:31 AM  #7

Here is a photo of the original BW T10 transmission and shifter with the backup switch from my '65.
See photo below. Thanks to Rufus for fixing it!

Last edited by Texas! (9/22/2021 9:36 AM)

9/21/2021 10:42 AM  #8

9/21/2021 12:30 PM  #9

Funny, one of the few options my car came with was reverse lights. I removed them when I restored the car. I think it looks cleaner without them.

9/21/2021 4:05 PM  #10

The easiest way as far as the lights themselves is probably to buy a replacement valance panel that already has the cutouts in it.  They're not that expensive, and you don't have to worry a huge amount about the paint match because it's low and separated from most of the rest of the body by the bumper

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

9/21/2021 4:16 PM  #11

John Ha wrote:

The easiest way as far as the lights themselves is probably to buy a replacement valance panel that already has the cutouts in it.  They're not that expensive, and you don't have to worry a huge amount about the paint match because it's low and separated from most of the rest of the body by the bumper

You're right, this one is only $66 :
https://www.npdlink.com/product/valance-panel-rear/151932?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Drear%252Bvalance%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1966&year=1966

9/21/2021 5:34 PM  #12

I like back up lights for a safety reason other than what they were designed for, letting people and cars behind me of what I am intending to do.
For my old eyes stock back up lights are woefully inadequate even when fitted with high lumen LED’s, then again I don’t drive the thing at night so it don’t much matter.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/21/2021 6:32 PM  #13

Where I live it is dark at night (no street lights close by) so I use mine for the intended purpose when parking after dark.

9/22/2021 6:34 AM  #14

I added back up lights to my 66.  If you go that route, I recommend using a sheet metal nibbler. It makes it pretty easy to make curves and the one from Harbor Freight works good.
Take some good measurements.

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

9/25/2021 8:04 PM  #15

Thanks for the tips, recommendations and information.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

9/26/2021 6:32 PM  #16

We just installed a new rear valance on jose’s 65 fastback in order to add the GT exhaust tips.  His car is blue like mine and they are currently parked side by side in my shop.  My 66 has the backup lights and his 65 does not.  Both have the Gt tips through the valance. 

To me, the look without the backup lights is much cleaner and highlights the exhaust more.  But, no one can argue against the safety features of the lights that let others know your directional intentions!   He decided to not install backup lights.

I will get a pic of it tomorrow.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/05/2021 6:43 PM  #17

10/06/2021 8:33 PM  #18

Thanks Steve!
You are probably right... It looks better without the reverse lights.

10/07/2021 4:51 PM  #19

Toploader wrote:

Thanks Steve!
You are probably right... It looks better without the reverse lights.

You could do something different with them

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

10/07/2021 5:47 PM  #20

BIG IMPROVEMENT, John.  But, I will have to check out that mod on YOUR CAR, before I ruin, er, I mean, test it out, on mine.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.