FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2013 2:44 PM  #1

Wire looms

I'm finally going to custom make my spark plug wires and I'd like to clean up the wire route. I like the look of the wires coming off the distributer and then following the front of the valve cover. Have you guys done this? Where did you get the looms? I think I want billet looms for show or maybe black so they "disappear". Do they bolt to the valve covers? Pictures would be great too. Thanks

Last edited by calistang (4/13/2013 2:58 PM)

Yeah, I know, but...

4/13/2013 5:27 PM  #2

Re: Wire looms

Here are a couple pics of my new wires and looms i just put on my 65.  I bought them directly from Taylor.  Have to give credit to GregB for posting his and pointing me to Taylor!
Also Greg and i both put spacers under the mounts to raise them up 

http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/index.cgi/productListing?id=370839

4/13/2013 7:55 PM  #3

The cleanest setups I have seen simply use the 5.0 style valve cover bolts that have the stud on top of them about 1" long.  Then they make plug wire clips that slip onto them having 2, 3, or 4 wire positions.  Those make a very clean installation if you cut the wires the right length and you are using factory parts.

I would run my wires like that, but all the valve covers I own have the steel clip on them to hold the wires up on top.  If I figure out how to mill the slots and lose those clips, I would do mine that way.

You can walk down the old Ford row at any wrecking yard with a 7/16" deep socket and come back with enough of those studded valve cover bolts to do several cars.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/13/2013 9:42 PM  #4

Here are my home made looms. I used one larger zip tie. And small little zip ties inbetween the wires. This wasn't my idea, I found it online somewhere. 

1966 Mustang Fastback K-Code,289,T-5, 9-inch rear with 3.50 gears.

4/13/2013 9:53 PM  #5

Here is how I did mine.  I bought the wire holders from MSD and then made my own brackets. 

4/14/2013 8:35 AM  #6

4/14/2013 9:59 AM  #7

Terry - I like the addition of the spacers ... question for you, how long are the spacers you used and where did you get them?

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/14/2013 10:00 AM  #8

Terry - I like the addition of the spacers ... question for you, how long are the spacers you used and where did you get them?

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/14/2013 7:37 PM  #9

Zip ties here too

4/14/2013 8:17 PM  #10

BobE
The spacers are 1 1/2" long peices of chrome lavatory supply tubes.  You can buy them at any home center.  I did have to buy longer allen head bolts.  the ones that come with the looms are about 2" long and i think I bought 3 1/2" at a hardware store.  I used chrome ones as they blend in with the aluminum valve covers, you really cant see them

4/15/2013 12:17 PM  #11

+1 on the zip ties.
I bought a bag of 1000 zip ties at a car show/ swap meet a few years back and I use them for the spark plug wires.  You will go through a couple dozen of them, but when you replace the wires you can throw them away. Even after several years, they still look the same and don't seem to break down from the heat.

BobN

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.