FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/28/2021 9:36 PM  #1

I want to build a shop compressor

Right now I dont have the power supply for a 220 electric motor. I would like to build a gas powered compressor out of a 60 gallon air compressor tank. I have found a couple great pumps I could go less but for the money and time effort going into this why not make a really nice unit. So I think I want to run https://pittsburghsprayequip.com/products/industrial-air-6-hp-single-stage-hi-flo-3-cylinder-replacement-air-compressor-pump-20-6-cfm-40-psi 6hp single stage air compressor

Im really just wanting a decent air compressor to run a sandblaster to do small touch up last things before I seal my car with epoxy. Im not planning on blasting huge areas just small spots where you cannot effectively sand out. I have found that the new craftsman oil  pump 30 gallon air compressor from Lowes is a decent model. The other model that stands out is the Chicago Pneumatic RCP-226VP 115-230V it puts out 7.1 at 100psi 155 max psi

Last edited by True74yamaha (10/01/2021 6:19 PM)

9/28/2021 10:47 PM  #2

Re: I want to build a shop compressor

If you have a 60 tank, you could plumb it to accept an air hose like a portable tank.  Then you could get this compressor from your local area: https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/tls/d/west-valley-city-22-gallon-kobalt/7382112484.html   Only $40 if it is still available.

Plug it into the 60 gallon tank.  Once it has filled that tank to ~120psi, you'd have fair capacity to sand blast small areas I would think.  Anyway, it would be easy to do this and afterwards you'd probably find uses for the small compressor.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/29/2021 4:48 AM  #3

Here's my thoughts: find a properly sized 220V compressor and get 220V out to it.  I have a 220V compressor with a large tank and it runs almost constantly when I'm using the blast cabinet.  Sand blasting runs on volume.  You'll be surprised how fast that volume gets exhausted, and when the compressor can't keep up it sucks.

Every time I've tried to use a creative work around to what I've really needed in the end I've discovered that I'd have been happier and bucks ahead to just do it the right way up front. 

Where's the shop?  Detached garage or attached garage?  If its detached you may just need to run a new line from the house to the shop.  To avoid the cost of having this done get an electrician to connect the ends and size the wire and trench and lay the wire yourself.  There's UFB wire (direct burial) or you can run PVC conduit and single conductors.  Is not rocket science and you only need to dig down 2'.  You could rent a trencher or dig it by hand.

If its attached you just need to run a new dedicated 220V line from the panel to the garage.  Where this could get tricky is if everything is finished surrounding the panel, but a good electrician should be able to come up with a way to route the wire and make a minimum of holes that have to be patched.  I'm assuming the panel isn't in the garage, so its probably in the basement or somewhere on the first floor if there is no basement.  The simplest route is usually to get it up in the attic and run it across to the garage that way. 

Alternately, if you're already thinking of using gas power, just get a proper compressor and power it off a generator. 

9/29/2021 7:34 AM  #4

You will have to buy an unloader device for it since gas engines do not stop and start like electric motors do.

TKO’s advice is spot on.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/29/2021 7:53 AM  #5

If you do not have 220v power available, consider buying a 110/220v gas powered generator to power the compressor.  Then, you'll also have a backup generator if you're in a blackout. 
Just a thought.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/29/2021 1:20 PM  #6

I did what TKO suggests.  I ran a 220 for my tank.  However, I did not put it on a dedicated line.   I put in a 220v outlet near it and I can plug and unplug it at will.  You ask why I did this?  So I can plug in my 220v welder if I were to want to use it.   I bought a Clarke 220 welder pretty much brand new off Craigslist at Christmastime real cheap about 6 months after I bought the compressor.  No, I can't run em both at the same time, nor do I ever want to.  Just mentioning that when you plan a project, planning for future considerations is a must.

I eventually ran copper hard lines to all the corners of my shop, because you will get tired of dragging air hoses too!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

9/29/2021 2:15 PM  #7

Planning for the future is always smart.  I ran two conductor to my little 10x10 shed when I built it.  Why?  Because I don't know what I might need to do there in the future and I could easily add a 220V circuit if I ever needed to run a welder. 

I also hard piped everything with copper a couple years back.  That was when copper was $0.98/foot though, now its more like $6/foot.  It would be a much more expensive project today, but there's no concern about the copper ever degrading like plastic pipe does, and soldered joints don't leak if you know how to sweat pipe together. 

9/29/2021 4:29 PM  #8

Making your own working compressor is doable with scrounged parts. I used 16”x 3’ piece of pipe, freezer compressor, some steel from a salvage yard and components from a surplus supply house to make this oneback in the early 60’s
I had it set to cycle from 100 to 125 psi and it ran on 110 v.
It ran a home made cabinet blaster and painted a couple of home built planes and a number of cars.
I passed it on down to my son who still uses it almost 60 years later.

Last edited by Rudi (9/30/2021 9:56 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/30/2021 9:57 AM  #9

Rufus68 wrote:

We can't see the email link you provided.  You'd better post the picture instead.

Done!

10/01/2021 10:53 AM  #10

I would also go the "figure out how to get 220" route.  In one house I put an oven plug on the compressor and swapped out with the oven when I needed it.  To blast you really need some cfms out of the compressor.  Gas power would work, but I think all in all that electric is easier.  I kinda like the generator option too, but it might have to be pretty big to handle the startup current.

10/01/2021 4:12 PM  #11

Thanks everyone on the help and suggesting a Generator to power the compressor.

Large Air compressor  60 Gallon  https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/65122607 Im going to purchase this tank owner states the tanks Air pump is under rated. I have found what I believe to be a really good pump for the tank maybe over kill. It has a rating of 20.6 at 40 CFM https://pittsburghsprayequip.com/products/industrial-air-6-hp-single-stage-hi-flo-3-cylinder-replacement-air-compressor-pump-20-6-cfm-40-psi  a smaller replacement unit for a chicago pneumatic 7.41 at 100 psi 155 psi max https://aircompressorpartsonline.com/new-pump-assy-b3800-p-635.html

For the gas powered engine https://www.harborfreight.com/65-hp-212cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-69730.html 

Only things I would be lacking throttle control, pressure switch gizzie, belt and guard.

An option for me to save maybe some cash is get this bulldog honda powered gas compressor. I can scrounge engine pressure valve throttle control $240.00

Last edited by True74yamaha (10/01/2021 4:57 PM)

10/01/2021 4:50 PM  #12

Would a 30 gallon air compressor be sufficient for a small sand blaster bucket type from harborfreight. Im just amazed that I could pay 515 for a 30 new craftsman belt drive with my discount. Or I could by the above stated for almost the same price and get double air capacity and nearly double the cfm with the same max psi capacity.

10/01/2021 5:08 PM  #13

I think it would. My home made tank pictured above is 31 gallons. I have used that type of hand held blaster as well as with a home made cabinet blaster that required “catch up time”.

10/01/2021 5:24 PM  #14

120 gallon air compressor. https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/65500311 fixable huge tank

10/01/2021 6:11 PM  #15

Rudi wrote:

I think it would. My home made tank pictured above is 31 gallons. I have used that type of hand held blaster as well as with a home made cabinet blaster that required “catch up time”.

Thank you Rudi Thats really cool you were able to pass it down and the legend lives on. I would like to be able to pass down some of my tools to my future kids I dont  have any Kids right now.

Last edited by True74yamaha (10/01/2021 6:14 PM)

10/02/2021 6:30 AM  #16

True74yamaha wrote:

120 gallon air compressor. https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/65500311 fixable huge tank

I would buy that.

10/02/2021 7:04 AM  #17

Keep in mind that the larger cfm’s will also have larger tubes/piping going into and out of compressor tank.

Take a look at how IR and Dewalt 60 and 80 gallon compressors to see what I’m referring to.
Tractor Supply is only place locally carrying larger electric compressors.

I noticed the larger compressors draw about 20-22 amps at 240 volts.
The larger HP motors usually run 240v only.
10 gauge wire and short runs.

10/02/2021 1:17 PM  #18

Nos681 wrote:

Keep in mind that the larger cfm’s will also have larger tubes/piping going into and out of compressor tank.

Take a look at how IR and Dewalt 60 and 80 gallon compressors to see what I’m referring to.
Tractor Supply is only place locally carrying larger electric compressors.

I noticed the larger compressors draw about 20-22 amps at 240 volts.
The larger HP motors usually run 240v only.
10 gauge wire and short runs.

To clarify, there's no difference between 220V and 240V.  Both are standard single phase power available from a common household panel using a double pole breaker in the appropriate amperage.  However, there IS a difference if comparing 110V (also sometimes referenced as 115V or 120V) equipment and 220V/240V equipment.  You need to have a panel that has two conductors in it or you can't generate 220V, as it works by talking 110V from each leg.  All serious compressors like all serious welders run 220V.  If you're serious into this hobby you need to have that available one way or the other. 

A side note, 208V IS NOT the same, and don't look at anything that needs 3 phase power.  Residential areas are never equipped with it.  The only way to get it is with a phase converter, and I can tell you a horror story about one of those if you need to be scared off. 

10/03/2021 6:37 AM  #19

When three phase motors where cheaper you could build a three phase convertor from a  three phase motor . say you wanted to run a three phase  compressor on single phase by using the pony motor to generate your third leg .You would need to spin he pony motor to start but it would run and generate your third leg to run or compressor .

If its worth doing do it right !

10/03/2021 7:25 AM  #20

220/240 is the 2 phase of 110/120.

Motors like these were made to be universal so they could be used around the world.
Less inventory.

Yeah, 208 is a totally different animal.

10/03/2021 9:07 AM  #21

Nos681 wrote:

Motors like these were made to be universal so they could be used around the world.
Less inventory.

Technically, 220/240v is not 2-phase as both hot legs are in phase with one another.  They run off one phase (of a 3-phase system) through a step-down transformer that is center tapped to provide 110/120v from each ‘hot’ leg to the center tap (the ‘neutral’), and 220/240v across the hot legs.
And yes, 208v is different as it is from a 3-phase supply.
However, this is getting too deep for this post.

10/03/2021 10:38 AM  #22

BobE wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Less inventory.

Technically, 220/240v is not 2-phase as both hot legs are in phase with one another.  They run off one phase (of a 3-phase system) through a step-down transformer that is center tapped to provide 110/120v from each ‘hot’ leg to the center tap (the ‘neutral’), and 220/240v across the hot legs.

Exactly.  Yeah, we got a bit derailed, but sometimes its important to do that.  This stuff doesn't run off 12VDC after all

10/03/2021 4:37 PM  #23

220...221... whatever it takes.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/04/2021 9:28 AM  #24

BobE wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Less inventory.

The 220 volt on a home is off 1 phase but with the center tap to ground the 2 120 volt legs are 180 degrees out of phase. If they were in phase you would measure zero volts across them. Now these fake 3 phase systems put a large capacitor off one of the legs that shifts voltage approx 90 degrees to develop a third phase and make a 3 phase motor spin. The phases are not 120 deg out of phase like true 3 phase power nor do I think the capacitor tap can supply the current the other legs can. I agree with TKO I would stay away from this.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

10/04/2021 10:09 AM  #25

wsinsle wrote:

BobE wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Less inventory.

The 220 volt on a home is off 1 phase but with the center tap to ground the 2 120 volt legs are 180 degrees out of phase. If they were in phase you would measure zero volts across them. Now these fake 3 phase systems put a large capacitor off one of the legs that shifts voltage approx 90 degrees to develop a third phase and make a 3 phase motor spin. The phases are not 120 deg out of phase like true 3 phase power nor do I think the capacitor tap can supply the current the other legs can. I agree with TKO I would stay away from this.

Wsinsle - we can take this discussion off this post and continue with PMs or email, but the phase shift occurs between primary and secondary side of the transformer.  As the secondary side of the step-down transformer is one coil that produces the 220/240v end to end, with the center tap of this coil providing 110/120v to each end leg, there is no phase shift.
I agree with staying away from 3-phase convertors.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.