FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2021 10:10 AM  #1

sniper efi ,,, now it's over .

Ok friends , i can say is the end of this " sniper story " during this summer . 
I have posted some in the last month about issue , little here , little there ... but anyway solved . 
One time is filter , one time is pump , sometimes was my mistake , but with all this it was working .
This last too short because now i got even an injector stuck . 
Can be clogged , can be electrical connection , whatever ...but one is not working anymore .
This make the unit and o2 sensor goes bad . 
Have passed this week trying to find bad spark and wires , something at distributor , but nothing . All fine for spark.
Still have misfire , and was running 6 or 7 cyl . lack of power ... At the end i look inside and found 1 injector not spraying . 
At second start 1 was off and 3 was flooding .  A huge quantity of fuel makes engine smoke like a crazy ! 
This is defenetly the end of this story with efi by all meaning . 
I give more than possibility but nothing , so i send an e-mail to holley  for a return and refoud . 
i don't know if they will accept my refoud request , but is not a deal send back to be refurbished and again to italy . Its money through windows . If they don't accept i have a dying horse in my garage , that's suck ! 
I had no lucky with it , but i can imagine someone is really happy with efi . 
Honestly i'm happy to go back with carby , everithing will be easier , fuel , air , sparks . that' s all mustang needs . 
my scent will be more gas and monoxide but at the end i can manage it . With electronic .not . 
So welcome back to my edelbrock 
Bye 

10/06/2021 11:38 AM  #2

Re: sniper efi ,,, now it's over .

Ales (or Alex -  which is good for a short version of name?) ...anyway

I'm sorry to hear about all the frustrations with the EFI.  I was really hoping to hear the opposite.  But thank you for sharing because it might help keep some of us that were thinking about EFI to realize that the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle still applies.

Now, regarding the carb, there are more sophisticated ways to set one up that will help you tune and keep the tune better for a carburetor that was not available to folks before AFR gauges.  Your carburetor tune will work the best the more stable you can make the carburetor environment.  Consider the following:

1)  Keep fuel pressure constant so that the pressure on the needle and float is stable.  This will help keep the float bowl level steady because the float bowl level affects AFR.  So install a low pressure fuel regulator and gauge so you can keep a steady ~5.5 psi.

2)  Help keep down fuel temperature by using your fuel return line to prevent fuel from sitting still too long at the carburetor.  (When the fuel sits in the line waiting for the needle to open it collects heat from the environment.) Easiest way to do this is to use a return style regulator when you choose the regulator.

3)  If you run a mechanical pump, check your pressure gauge to see if it produces enough pressure to keep some fuel returning to the tank.  I had to install a mechanical pump meant for more performance in order to hold a steady 5.5 psi when the car was running.

4)  Use an AFR gauge to tune and monitor the carburetor settings.

This video talks about the advantage of having a return line with your carburetor.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/06/2021 12:07 PM  #3

Another win for the simple CARBURETOR.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/06/2021 1:35 PM  #4

Carburetors Forever!

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

10/06/2021 1:50 PM  #5

Here’s another vote for the “dripping pots” 💦💧

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/06/2021 3:24 PM  #6

MS wrote:

OR auto manufacturer factory EFI

So sorry you couldn't make it work well but this is all about learning as much as it is about driving a cool car :-)

Last edited by John Ha (10/06/2021 3:25 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

10/06/2021 4:07 PM  #7

Unfortunately,  the aftermarket EFI's seem to be hit or miss. Just looking at the Sniper forum shows the volume of posts....most focused on efi problems.

As John mentioned, factory EFI is the best option if you want to ditch the carb.

A dialed in carb is a beautiful thing. I've been dialing in my Eddy carb recently and hats off to the original BB and JohnHa for their help.

Last edited by josh-kebob (10/06/2021 9:47 PM)

10/06/2021 4:30 PM  #8

It took years of fidgeting to dial in my drip pot. A carb is a compromise in every instance except for Wide Open Throttle. Trial and error is the name of the game if you wish the engine to run well at all throttle levels. The 95% of our country that is below 1000' MSL has it easy. Those of us that live at 8500' and travel anywhere from 0-11,000' on a seemingly regular basis have our work cut out for us. Most of the year our travels take us from Denver (5280'), the house and community at 8500' and several jaunts over the rockpile (10,680') and anywhere in between. One would think I would be the poster child for EFI but alas, I am not. The best EFI solution would be factory Ford, but I think the combover intake is hideous under a classic hood. 

I still run points in the ignition too!

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

10/06/2021 4:53 PM  #9

Combover intake . . . Priceless! 😂

10/06/2021 5:23 PM  #10

I too agree they is very little said that is good for the aftermarket EFI. I recently road tripped up to Montana and knew that starting out at sea level and getting there at 3-4k feet I was going to have some problems with performance. So I did the homework and set out a set of rods for the eddy that could put me in the ball park for when I got there. At 2000' i was still running ok. Changed them out in Helena (3k) and we ran almost perfect again, infact it ran real good up to Butte at 4000'. Biggest problem was pulling off the air cleaner to swap out the rods while the wife sat waiting. lol all good with the carb and a lot less expensive. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

10/06/2021 8:27 PM  #11

MS wrote:

Giddy up! I second that!

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/07/2021 8:31 AM  #12

Rudi wrote:

Combover intake . . . Priceless! 😂

Any other options?  It’s just an air channel at that point, right? My ‘92 5.0 has 303,000 miles in it and starts and runs perfectly. Engine and heads have never been rebuilt. Heads and lower intake have never been off the car.  I would love that EFI with a traditional carb look.

Last edited by Muzz 66 (10/07/2021 8:32 AM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

10/07/2021 9:10 AM  #13

My Holley 670 equipped 331 has been driven from sea level to over 6500' elevation within a few days and I did not expirience any adverse running conditions.
At the time I never thought of looking at the AFR to see what the stoich was.
How much higher does one have to go for carb issues?
I do know that when I took my exp homebuilt up to 10,000' ASL the power was very much reduced.

10/07/2021 10:09 AM  #14

I think it is about 3-4% difference per thousand feet elevation.  I could be totally wrong....

10/07/2021 4:08 PM  #15

My home in Knoxville, TN is at about 1,000 ft above sea level so this is the elevation the carb tune is set at.  When I cross the mountains into NC then drive on to my family's area in SC, the trip rises to about 4,000 ft and ends about 500 ft.  I have an AFR gauge in my Mustang.  Honestly, the car ran fine the entire time.  I have an Eddy 1403 carb.  When I make these trips, I don't feel the need to stop and change the tune of the carb.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/07/2021 4:09 PM  #16

I don't think people back in my parent's time were worried about changing the carburetor when they were traveling.

10/07/2021 5:58 PM  #17

Edelbrock carb straight out of the box, no adjustments in over ten years! Just sayin

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

10/08/2021 4:15 PM  #18

Rufus68 wrote:

I don't think people back in my parent's time were worried about changing the carburetor when they were traveling.

I've crossed the Country in my car and never touched the carburettor. It ran beautifully.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/08/2021 7:40 PM  #19

I agree with Toploader, carburetors tuned properly can run very well.  There is a choice to be made.  Spend lots of time and money trying to learn EFI then get some EFI system installed and working properly in your car - OR - spend some time and much less money learning the principles of how to tune a carburetor then get a carburetor running properly in your car.  We have the advantage of being able to use a modern AFR gauge so it is much easier for us to tune a carburetor than it was for the mechanics of the past.

10/09/2021 5:42 AM  #20

Rufus68 wrote:

I agree!  We went all over the country in my parents 66 Buick Special and there was no carburetor adjustment.  Usually it was flat tires…lol.

10/09/2021 11:58 AM  #21

I was raised in Tucson, elevation 2600asl. We spent every summer at the Grand Canyon elevation 6800 asl. In 1966 My parents bought a 66 Ford Ranch Wagon with a 390 4v. In 1980 they moved to Alpine AZ at 8800 asl. Dad never adjusted the carb in any way. It always ran like a scalded dog. Just give it the gas. In 86 he gave it away. It now lives in McNeal, AZ. 

Last edited by HudginJ3 (10/09/2021 12:00 PM)

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

10/09/2021 1:38 PM  #22

Alessandro wrote:

Ok friends , i can say is the end of this " sniper story " during this summer . 
I have posted some in the last month about issue , little here , little there ... but anyway solved . 
One time is filter , one time is pump , sometimes was my mistake , but with all this it was working .
This last too short because now i got even an injector stuck . 
Can be clogged , can be electrical connection , whatever ...but one is not working anymore .
This make the unit and o2 sensor goes bad . 
Have passed this week trying to find bad spark and wires , something at distributor , but nothing . All fine for spark.
Still have misfire , and was running 6 or 7 cyl . lack of power ... At the end i look inside and found 1 injector not spraying . 
At second start 1 was off and 3 was flooding .  A huge quantity of fuel makes engine smoke like a crazy ! 
This is defenetly the end of this story with efi by all meaning . 
I give more than possibility but nothing , so i send an e-mail to holley  for a return and refoud . 
i don't know if they will accept my refoud request , but is not a deal send back to be refurbished and again to italy . Its money through windows . If they don't accept i have a dying horse in my garage , that's suck ! 
I had no lucky with it , but i can imagine someone is really happy with efi . 
Honestly i'm happy to go back with carby , everithing will be easier , fuel , air , sparks . that' s all mustang needs . 
my scent will be more gas and monoxide but at the end i can manage it . With electronic .not . 
So welcome back to my edelbrock 
Bye 

To bad that your sisyphean  project had to end up as it did. It seems that there are a lot of people out there that came to the same conclusion you did.

10/09/2021 2:32 PM  #23

Rudi wrote:

To bad that your sisyphean project had to end up as it did. It seems that there are a lot of people out there that came to the same conclusion you did.

I had to look up your word.  After reading it, I remembered knowing it in past but had forgotten it.

In Greek mythology, Sisyphus was a king who annoyed the gods with his trickery. As a consequence, he was condemned for eternity to roll a huge rock up a long, steep hill in the underworld, only to watch it roll back down.

10/09/2021 2:40 PM  #24

Rufus68 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

To bad that your sisyphean project had to end up as it did. It seems that there are a lot of people out there that came to the same conclusion you did.

I had to look up your word.  After reading it, I remembered knowing it in past but had forgotten it.

In Greek mythology, Sisyphus was a king who annoyed the gods with his trickery. As a consequence, he was condemned for eternity to roll a huge rock up a long, steep hill in the underworld, only to watch it roll back down.

Not in my everyday vocabulary but for a lot of reasons I know it well.  🥵

10/10/2021 7:06 AM  #25

Yes, but consider that Camus said we should imagine Sisyphus smiling.  When you think about the car hobby its kind of hard to deny the logic there. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.