FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2021 3:03 PM  #1

Coil Over Front Suspension

Its something I think about as an upgrade...
What do people think of coil over suspension on the front? Is it a worthwhile upgrade? How does it compare to the stock Ford set up? Are there any negatives?
Also, is the Shelby drop still needed if you fit coil overs?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/11/2021 3:11 PM  #2

Re: Coil Over Front Suspension

I could have sworn I read several folks saying that a good front end rebuild with some OpenTracker (or comparable) roller perches lower ball joints etc and the Shelby drop performed as well as a lot of the whiz bang upgrades out there. But I cannot find that link.

Last edited by Raymond_B (10/11/2021 3:11 PM)

10/11/2021 3:53 PM  #3

Personally I have a coil over setup in my 71.

Plus-
Adjustable ride height.
Improved motion ratio as the coil over mounting point can be moved closer to the spindle (smaller diameter than OE).
Many manufacturers use asymmetrical upper control arms to add caster.
Adjustable spring rate (more options).
More shock / valving options.

Delta-
Usually less resistant to road grime (heim joint vs bushing).

I think the Mike Maier Inc setup with the JRI shocks is hard to beat.  The asymmetrical control arms get you caster without shortening the strut rod too far. 

Last edited by Bentworker (10/11/2021 8:27 PM)

10/11/2021 4:46 PM  #4

I have the stock configuration in my 68 with the Arning/Shelby drop along with free moving perches.  For a street driver that drives curvy roads using the steering wheel without riding the brakes, unless the curve is a "kiss your butt hairpin", my Mustang front end stays very level.  So I don't see the need for a different front suspension.  It does great.  Perhaps a driver that cuts through those parking lot obstacle courses would need something better.  Is this what you want to set your car up for, those parking lot courses?  If it is only aggressive mountain driving, I think the Arning drop with good components is all you need.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/11/2021 4:48 PM  #5

For coil overs to improve things, they should mount down to the lower control arm.  More flexibility in the suspension that way.  Mounting on the upper a-arm is just a stock replacement that can be accomplished with stock parts.

At least that is what I heard somewhere.  I have TCP uppers for over 20 year and they work very well.  GT 1 inch lowering springs and Shelby drop with 1 deg neg camber works well for me.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

10/11/2021 8:41 PM  #6

This is what I am running- it is older but very similar to the current Mike Maier setup- just with less built in caster.

10/12/2021 4:56 AM  #7

I have Vi-King coil overs (350# springs for a small block) that have the poly bushings (bearings are available too).

Stock style upper control arms with MS modifications and additional caster on control arm shaft
Stock style lower control arms with Energy Suspension inner pivot poly bushing
1” Arning/Shelby drop
1965 spindles

Installed February of 2020 and have almost 9500 miles.
I like them FWIW.
I wanted to to be able to adjust ride height without having a harsh ride.

10/12/2021 7:45 AM  #8

Anyone who's ridden in Dan's rat rod knows that its ride is outstanding. I was truly impressed.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/12/2021 10:38 AM  #9

I went to the R&C MII front end w/coilovers and R&P steering on my 65 10 years ago.  I wanted to get rid of the shock towers and am very happy with this setup.  I believe that it corners much better but I don’t make “challenging” turns as I may have when I was younger.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

10/12/2021 11:34 AM  #10

Nos681 wrote:

I have Vi-King coil overs (350# springs for a small block) that have the poly bushings (bearings are available too).

Stock style upper control arms with MS modifications and additional caster on control arm shaft
1” Arning/Shelby drop
1965 spindles

I like them FWIW.

Isn't a setup like this basically an adjustable coil spring?  If so, I like it.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/12/2021 11:40 AM  #11

My 65 has the MII conversion with coilovers and it is wonderful. However, the stock suspension will corner just as good. If you do not need more room under hood for some huge headers or a big block, or you need to adjust ride height regularly, like for track days with those sticky tires, it may not be worth it.

10/12/2021 2:03 PM  #12

The Shelby drop has more to do with improving the camber curve and adding in some positive caster than it does ride height.  The ride height difference is pretty negligible actually (maybe 5/8").  Its a night and day difference in terms of handling, regardless the spring/shock package in use. 

There's a LOT of stuff I'll spend money on before coil overs.  I don't find my car's ride objectionable, and from a handling perspective you don't actually gain anything.  It does make ride height adjustments easy if that's your goal.  If your goal is handling do the drop, big front antiroll bar, and good springs/shocks do just fine. 

10/12/2021 2:26 PM  #13

Nos681 wrote:

1” Arning/Shelby drop
1965 spindles

I like them FWIW.

Very cool Dan, totally agree w/BB (formerly RPM😉) wish I would have gone for a spin. BTW Sent you a PM 😎

Life is too short to drive a boring car😎

10/12/2021 4:29 PM  #14

Thanks for compliments guys.

I had poly strut bushings, Shelby drop, and MS control arm modification before changing to coil overs.

The two major binding locations are the spring perch and inner pivot on lower control arms.
The rubber pivot points are pressed in…at least mine were.
I think some might be vulcanized in place.

I had considered roller bearings for spring perches too.
Just desired to have the ability of height adjustment without the harness.
I received good information from Bearing Bob that lead me in this direction.

The poly lower pivots can rotate freely even after bolt is torqued down.
Basically the poly bushing becomes the bearing between two metal shells.
I believe Mike Maier is using similar design in his upper control arms.

10/13/2021 7:47 PM  #15

Bearing Bob wrote:

Anyone who's ridden in Dan's rat rod knows that its ride is outstanding. I was truly impressed.

I was impressed with the ride also.  I was telling my son about maybe trying Viking coil overs on his 68 Mustang.

10/14/2021 6:16 AM  #16

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Its food for thought.
I guess I was looking at this upgrade for adjusting front ride height options mostly and improved handling.
I have a stock front end with all new components and Moog gear. It does handle really well now, so maybe coil overs are not necessary for me who does spirited driving occasionally at best.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/14/2021 9:30 AM  #17

Before I went to the MII front suspension, I had the "Shelby" drop and a 1" sway bar, with the original front springs and it handled well.  The rear leaf springs have been 'beefed" up, and therefore stiffer adding to better handling, and a slightly rougher ride.  Just saying.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

10/14/2021 12:06 PM  #18

Toploader wrote:

Its something I think about as an upgrade...
What do people think of coil over suspension on the front? Is it a worthwhile upgrade? How does it compare to the stock Ford set up? Are there any negatives?

It's your money and your car - spend and modify as you please.
But it's generally thought to be a less than useful upgrade unless you have to get rid of the shock towers for some reason.  The factory suspension is essentially a coil-over.  It only differs from modern iterations in not having the coil spring mounted directly to the shock.

If your goal is to improve handling you can keep your factory parts tight and properly aligned, upgrade your shocks and sway bar, and as needed, further stiffen the chassis with the convertible bracing, monte carlo bar and/or subframe connectors.

Last edited by John Ha (10/14/2021 12:10 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

10/14/2021 3:01 PM  #19

Thanks! I think you good folk helped me make up my mind and I will stick with the original set up.
I have the Monte Carlo bar, 1" lowered springs and a 1" sway bar.
You know the really dumb thing... When I had the front end out, I never did the Shelby drop. D is for dumb...

10/14/2021 3:29 PM  #20

I performed the drilling for the 1” Shelby drop with engine and headers still installed.
Just placed a thin piece of wood in between to prevent accidental damage to headers.
It drives much better with this modification.

10/14/2021 4:50 PM  #21

At 4 minutes into this video, Jeff shows the change in tire patch that you get after doing the Arning/Shelby drop.  This helps you "see" the real benefit of the upper control arm change.

10/14/2021 6:53 PM  #22

Why would have Ford  not done the upper “A” arm relocation at the factory, they knew that it worked from Klaus Arning”s work on the Mustangs prototypes.
It would not have cost them 2 cents, unlike the IRS they developed that would have cost an arm and a leg in tooling costs.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/14/2021 7:40 PM  #23

Rudi, as I understand it, Ford...along with all the other mfgs. were a bit afraid of setting up cars that didn't have a bit of under steer.  Quick turn-in was thought to be something that might bite the average driver of the '60s.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/15/2021 12:38 AM  #24

Rufus68 wrote:

At 4 minutes into this video, Jeff shows the change in tire patch that you get after doing the Arning/Shelby drop.  This helps you "see" the real benefit of the upper control arm change.

Thanks so much for posting this! It convinces me to get the Shelby drop done. Because I was dumb by not getting it done with the front end work, it will cost me some stupid tax.

Last edited by Toploader (10/15/2021 12:39 AM)

10/15/2021 4:40 AM  #25

Rudi wrote:

Why would have Ford not done the upper “A” arm relocation at the factory, they knew that it worked from Klaus Arning”s work on the Mustangs prototypes.
It would not have cost them 2 cents, unlike the IRS they developed that would have cost an arm and a leg in tooling costs.

I think it had more to do with the change to balljoint angle that wears the balljoints out quicker.  Under or over steer can always be dialed in with sway bars.  Most of us don't put the kind of mileage on our cars to where the shortened ball joint life becomes an issue, but when these cars were new and would be used for daily driving that was another matter. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.