FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2021 7:44 PM  #1

Have you heard of "Crab Walk" steering?

Watch this Jay Leno video for the "crab walk" maneuver.  Fascinating.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/13/2021 8:06 PM  #2

Re: Have you heard of "Crab Walk" steering?

I’ve seen the monster trucks and some all terrain lifts like a Lull crab walk. Drove a couple of the lifts, they were fun. If the truck can do that, it should be able to turn the back wheels opposite of the front for a shorter turn radius too.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/13/2021 9:06 PM  #3

Just more stuff to go wrong🥵

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/13/2021 9:14 PM  #4

Does everything the big diesel powered Hummer does except charge its batteries in the woods(that's the whole point behind an off-road vehicle...right?!)
I wouldn't have one if it was free! Certainly couldn't afford one with out 'Uncle Sugar' paying half-the-freight!
Where's that stink'in eye roll imogee?!!!!!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/13/2021 9:21 PM  #5

...but did you watch the video?  I don't like the Hummer either; it was that scene with it side stepping in the canyon that was new to me. 

Last edited by Rufus68 (10/13/2021 9:22 PM)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

10/14/2021 7:06 AM  #6

Yep! I watched it. Anything with Jay Leno deserves a watch by me!
I 'thought' they stated the rear steer was used to have a shorter turn radius??!..
I'm kinduva  grumpy-old-man sometimes about "Off-road"/all-terrain vehicles.
Living where I do its so flat and urban and snow- free that most of them I see are just commuter trucks that block any view from behind. Prolly most of the drivers haven't used the 4WD option more than a couple times.
Of course....the lifted body and the heavily treaded/big 'mudder' tires do contribute to the owners "macho-image" they so desperately crave!
Possibly to mask their other....inadequacies maybe?!   Wooo-nose
I'm impressed................
Jus say'in!
I wonder what the range would be fully loaded with gravel-mulch-equipment-other "truck stuff"?
I bet NOT the 300+ miles range the video mentioned.....
6sal6
PS.............Yes the 'crab-walk' feature was cool!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/14/2021 7:28 AM  #7

If I’m not mistaken, most times I am, some high end European had those features,
Four wheel steering as well as all wheels “crabbing” depending on vehicle speed.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/14/2021 10:18 AM  #8

Nissan had a system called HICAS in the Skyline and 300ZX platforms that added some measure of rear steer to help handling.  I think it only move the wheels like 5 degrees, but it made a difference, especially with the AWD system they had in the Skylines.

I bet my CJ5 that I bought for $350 would own that Hummer off road.  3.15:1 low range.  It will almost crawl up a wall. 

10/14/2021 12:01 PM  #9

I seem to recall that there were quite a few experimentals touting that feature that made Popular Science back in the days of old when I wasn't old and the days were made to play.  The ones I remember were shown parallel parking in a space little bigger than the length of the vehicle by rotating all 4 wheels so the car could translate sideways.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

10/14/2021 12:09 PM  #10

A Honda Prelude model circa, 1990'ish, had all wheel steer.

10/18/2021 3:22 PM  #11

GMC Denail Truck had it around 2002 till about 2005

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

10/18/2021 3:32 PM  #12

Four wheel steering and crab walk are two different things

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/18/2021 3:38 PM  #13

Rudi wrote:

Just more stuff to go wrong🥵

One of my dad's favorite saying!!!

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.