FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2021 9:50 PM  #1

Current View on Quiter Mufflers

Haven't been on in a while.  I have Dynomax 2-1/4" mufflers on my 65 FB and would like to quiet them down a bit.  Last time I checked, Walker Cadillac mufflers were recommended.  Any updates to that thinking?  Thanks.

Cheap, Fast, Good:  Pick Any Two

10/18/2021 10:32 PM  #2

Re: Current View on Quiter Mufflers

I have the 2 1/2” version on mine. I like’em.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/18/2021 11:06 PM  #3

I'm in the process of installing Walkers on mine replacing the Dynomax's currently installed.  I'll reply when I get my car back.  Currently, the Dynomax gives me that 2000rpm drone.  I can no longer handle it.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

10/19/2021 4:53 AM  #4

What?!

Huh, guess I do miss my hearing...

10/19/2021 6:53 AM  #5

Walker Quiet-flow3 mufflers are what MS and several others are using...

10/19/2021 7:04 AM  #6

I have modified tri-y headers, custom h pipe, stock 68 GT  with resonators, transverse muffler back.
Happy as a clam!

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/19/2021 7:33 AM  #7

I recently swapped to Quiet Fiow # 22430.  It has a 16" body and fits the Mustang just fine.  It is only a two inch in/out but for my stock 5.0 it seems to work well.  Good idle sound,  Quiet on the road, no drone.  Presently no crossover. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/19/2021 7:53 AM  #8

Bullet Bob wrote:

I recently swapped to Quiet Fiow # 22430.  It has a 16" body and fits the Mustang just fine.  It is only a two inch in/out but for my stock 5.0 it seems to work well.  Good idle sound,  Quiet on the road, no drone.  Presently no crossover. 

Same set up for me. I'll add that I purchased mine from Summit...

10/19/2021 10:16 AM  #9

I have 2.5" Magna Flow mufflers and 2.5" pipes that turn down at the rear valance.  At highway speeds, road noise is more annoying. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

10/19/2021 11:13 AM  #10

my car has 2-1/2" quiet flows.  No exhaust noise on the highway, but they sound nice driving around town and louder when "on it" hard.  

On a side note, I just installed the Scott Drake 2" Hipo system on my friend's car.  They are very quiet, as well.  Sounds close to a stock muffler, but you can still get some good sound when accelerating and idling.  I am going to use that same 2" system on my 69 Mustang with 289 Hipo manifolds.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/19/2021 3:04 PM  #11

josh-kebob wrote:

Walker Quiet-flow3 mufflers are what MS and several others are using...

I'm one that is using the Walker Quietflows. Love them! MS put me onto them after I was sick of the drone.
I find the Quietflows to have a nice note at idle and when I get into it, you can hear me coming.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/20/2021 4:43 PM  #12

Well thanks everyone.  I'll probably either go with the 2-1/2" inlet and reduce it down to 2-1/4" or see if Walker carries those mufflers in 2-1/4".

Last edited by jkordzi (10/20/2021 6:31 PM)

10/21/2021 5:25 AM  #13

I may try the Flowmasters  50 series this time around.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

10/21/2021 7:48 AM  #14

The flow 50’s were pretty quiet on the highway with zero drone.  I replaced them when I installed the 427.  They are very heavy, and I wanted the more original look of the Quiet Flows.
But, flow 50’s are a good option, just not as quiet.

10/21/2021 8:38 AM  #15

When Dan stopped by on the way to the bash I never heard him come in the driveway.   I was looking under his car and he had the long tube headers and the same magnflow mufflers that I have.  Mine seems a lot louder.  But when he hit it in his Stang it was loud.  He does have EFI where I have a carburetor.  So I think the engine your running also might make some difference in the sound too.   Steve69 

Last edited by Steve69 (10/22/2021 8:42 AM)

10/21/2021 9:27 AM  #16

Steve69 wrote:

When Dan stopped by on the way to the bash I never heard him come in the driveway.   I was looking under his car and he had the long tube headers and the same magnflow mufflers that I have.  Mine seems a lot louder.  But when he hit it in his Stang it was loud.  Hi does have EFI where I have a carburetor.  So I think the engine your running also might make some difference in the sound too.   Steve69 

Definitely true. Even same engine with a 4 barrel carb sounds different than with a 2 barrel.

10/21/2021 10:29 AM  #17

MS wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

When Dan stopped by on the way to the bash I never heard him come in the driveway.   I was looking under his car and he had the long tube headers and the same magnflow mufflers that I have.  Mine seems a lot louder.  But when he hit it in his Stang it was loud.  Hi does have EFI where I have a carburetor.  So I think the engine your running also might make some difference in the sound too.   Steve69 

Definitely true. Even same engine with a 4 barrel carb sounds different than with a 2 barrel.

100% in agreement with that.
I have the same exhaust system on my car as I had with a 289 and you would never know it from the way it sounds.
The 289 had no idle rumble, no roar on acceleration and very  very quiet at cruise.
With the 331 the exhaust at start up and idle sounds “hot rodish”. With the hammer down the roar is noticeable but not offensive. Cruise in OD seems just as quiet as the smaller engine.
At one time I considered a custom stainless set up but at this point I have no plans on any changes.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

10/21/2021 1:03 PM  #18

I had Hooker Super Comp jet hott coated and 2.5 pulped with H pipe all the way out GT valence and 40 series Flowmasters on my previous car and sounded good but just a little quieter would be ok when I drive to deer camp maybe the deer would not get spooked.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

10/28/2021 7:59 PM  #19

Corresponded w/ Tenneco.com, which I believe brands Walker, Dynomax and other muffler brands, about the Walker quiet-flow mufflers (the "Cadillac mufflers") that I think MS used, which appears to be a 2-1/2" inlet and outlet muffler.  They sent me a couple of spreadsheets so I could compare mufflers.  Filtering on the basis of MS's Cadillac mufflers (Walker 21856), indicates that there is also a 2-1/4" version, which is Walker quiet-flow 21424.  This muffler has the same dimensions as MS's muffler:  Oval shape, 4-14" height and 19" body length (not including pipes), same pipe offsets, and connections, but 2-1/4" inlet and outlet.  I'm likely going to order these and install them.  Just wanted to post this info in case others like me (who aren't pushing 427 cubic inches of air thru their exhaust system) wanted the quieter sound but with a 2-1/4" inlet and outlet.  Will update post after installation.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.