FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2021 1:40 PM  #1

Tools you modified or repaired

I was digging through my junk box today.  I repaired this one because of sentimentality.  It's an old fuller pipe wrench the kind you used to get at the farm store for a couple of bucks.   My dad bought me this when I was about 11 or 12.  Said every tinkerer needs a monkey wrench.

Anyways I broke it years ago and I repaired it for some reason.   Looking at it today, I found one just like it on fleabay, I must have put some mighty torque on it the way it's curved!

Do what tools you modify or repair just because?  I got a few drawers full of things I made or modified without remembering the reason behind it.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/18/2021 6:08 PM  #2

Re: Tools you modified or repaired

There is always that one header bolt you can’t get to.  Or, an extended handle 1/2” box end used to get fan bolts off.  Or, an extended handle 3/4” open end for UCA nuts.  And the wood chisel with the slot ground in the center for installing window moulding trim clips. Or a custom take-along tool with 7/16” socket welded to a wingnut spanner for cobra air cleaner wingnuts and inner bracket.  Or a tool to hold rear shocks in the collapsed position so you can install them with less effort. Or open end wrenches ground thin to use when tightening the jam nut on your clutch cable.

Show me yours and I’ll show you mine.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/18/2021 6:30 PM  #3

I've got a drawer of stuff.  Teflon rear main seal installer, axle puller I made for a Kia (I think), wrenches bent for the up pipe bolts on my 6.0 Diesel, a bunch of mounting plates for various transmissions so I can measure endplay with a magnetic base dial indicator on an aluminum trans case, and that doesn't even count all the stuff I've made for the press...

11/18/2021 9:08 PM  #4

I forgot these…
Tube nut wrench for installing borgeson power steering hose fittings to the steering box, consists of a tube nut wrench cut off, then welded to 16” vertical extension with a handle welded to the top. Lets you tighten fittings from above master cylinder level.
And another similar tube nut wrench with extension for installing the hard lines onto a C4 tranny while it is in the car. Impossible without custom tool.

There are alot of USED IT ONCE tools in my toolbox. Never get rid of a useful tool.

11/19/2021 4:55 AM  #5

I keep a small metal toolbox full of cheap wrenches and sockets that aren't part of my regular sets.  Just stuff I seem to have picked up over the years.  They are perfect for bending, cutting, modifying into useful tools.  I've used sockets just for the 3/8 or 1/2" square so I can use a ratchet.  I built a timing belt tensioner tool for 2.3 Fords and a crank turning socket for my 6.0 Diesel that way.  Oh yeah, those tools are in that drawer too...

11/19/2021 4:24 PM  #6

These aren't modified or repaired but, saw them in an antique store today and added them to my tool box collection!!

touch me images for whatsapp

11/19/2021 5:26 PM  #7

Here I snapped a quick pick.   Small sample. There is a 10mm with a steel handle, some channel locks I put wider flat jaws on.  I remember why I did that, that was for hose clamps.  I have the proper pliers now, I may save those.   The H is a homemade steering wheel puller.   I didn't always make crap.  In the center is two punches I made years ago out of titanium when I had access to righteous machinery.  Right next to it is the punch I based them off of, for comparison.  But a lot of times you making something, it's jus cobbled, and you never wind up finishing it. 

Speaking of thin wrenches, on the right is a wizard thin tappet wrench.  That used to belong to my dad.  I wish I had a whole set of those.   Very thin.   There is a surviving Thorsen 1/4" ratchet.   I had a whole set, probably got around age 11/12 ish, when I really showed my dad I wanted tools.  I guess I lost all the sockets.  But I had a ragtag box of tools back then, that I scraped together.

On the right, there's hodgepodge allied, challenger by proto, a proto, s&k, and various mismatches.   Tools, old glorious tools!   

But hey! This is progress!  At least I can be down here again for periods of time without crying.   There is no timeframe on healing.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/19/2021 5:51 PM  #8

I’ve got 60 years plus  worth of stuff I modified or made, way too much to list here.
I look at some of the older things and wonder “ what the Hell is this for”

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/19/2021 6:11 PM  #9

Well,  after 50 years turning wrenches on aircraft, I've managed to fill up one small drawer with "special" tools, made or modified from standard tools into what it took to get the job done. Got a couple of tools I made that some  Boeing engineers got a look at while watching our gear change crew show them how we replace the landing gear on a 737. They liked them enough to have some made up for their gear change people at the factory. Of course, I will never throw out any of those tools - who knows - they might come in handy some day........

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

11/19/2021 8:39 PM  #10

Yep,
Many a tools have been whittled out of nothing - or something for a specific purpose.  I try not to do it too often. 

I'd post a pic, but for whatever reason imgbb isn't cooperating. 

11/20/2021 12:28 PM  #11

How about a quiz?  Post a pic of an obscure tool and let us guess what it was for.

11/20/2021 2:01 PM  #12

MS wrote:

How about a quiz?  Post a pic of an obscure tool and let us guess what it was for.

???

11/20/2021 2:40 PM  #13

josh-kebob wrote:

MS wrote:

How about a quiz? Post a pic of an obscure tool and let us guess what it was for.

???
For a nut that cant be accessed withan open end, socket  or box wrench

11/20/2021 2:43 PM  #14

Since auto use was not specified I submit this.
Hint, I made it in the mid seventies  when I was into airplanes.

11/20/2021 2:45 PM  #15

This one is for early Mustang.

11/20/2021 2:46 PM  #16

End nippers modified for???

11/20/2021 2:47 PM  #17

11/20/2021 2:49 PM  #18

11/20/2021 2:52 PM  #19

This one is not auto or aircraft.
Hint, wood shop!

11/20/2021 3:41 PM  #20

Com'on  Rudi....ya gotta tell us what all them special tools do!!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/20/2021 7:45 PM  #21

Seems like them end nippers could be used to pinch the clamps on cv axles.

Thanks for cheering me up guys.

11/20/2021 8:43 PM  #22

Right on Greg, that and fuel line clamps on some Mustangs.👍

11/20/2021 8:47 PM  #23

Rudi wrote:

Hint, wood shop!

Saw set

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

11/20/2021 8:57 PM  #24

Rudi wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

MS wrote:

How about a quiz? Post a pic of an obscure tool and let us guess what it was for.

???
For a nut that cant be accessed withan open end, socket  or box wrench

Modified to remove O2 sensors on my 96 Silverado..

11/20/2021 9:59 PM  #25

Alan wrote:

Rudi wrote:

Hint, wood shop!

Saw set

Correctissimo, belonged to my dad.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.