FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2021 9:09 AM  #26

Re: Tools you modified or repaired

Hey, I actually have a pair of those hose clamp pliers!  Lol.  Guess what this is?  Since we all know, I'm showing my contribution to it.  An old outer wheel bearing that got a second life.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/21/2021 9:21 AM  #27

Here's what I'm working on this afternoon. I had this Husky air tool that never worked right. When you pull the trigger it would sometimes just blow air. Back in the day HD wouldn't take it back. So it just stayed in my main tool box.  I almost chucked it last week, I decided to take it apart and see what makes it tick.  One thing I found is there is a small rod that seems to keep the three internal pieces aligned.  But the holes on the pieces are much larger, 1/8.  And the 3 pieces shift a lot.  I noticed I could turn it to the point of almost closing off the air hole.  So I got some 1/8 stainless rod, and I tried to find some new air vanes but looking them up by dimension the only thing I could find close and cheap! is some for an Astro pneumatic when they get here hoping I can make them work.  The ones on the gun were swelled, and sticking in the vane slots.  Which is probably the real culprit.

Last edited by Greg B (11/21/2021 9:23 AM)

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/21/2021 9:39 AM  #28

Rudi wrote:

Since auto use was not specified I submit this.
Hint, I made it in the mid seventies  when I was into airplanes.

C85 Continental Bendix magneto timing gear lock out.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/21/2021 9:43 AM  #29

Rudi wrote:

This one is for early Mustang.

Mustang trunk torsion bar install and remove tool.

11/21/2021 9:44 AM  #30

Rudi wrote:

Flywheel/ ring gear turning tool.

11/21/2021 9:46 AM  #31

Rudi wrote:

Tie rod sleeve adjuster, 1/2” drive.

11/21/2021 10:15 AM  #32

Rudi wrote:

Nice flywheel turner!

11/21/2021 11:14 AM  #33

Headman headers rear spark plug wrench, why they made the headers so tight I will never know. SBC C10 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

11/22/2021 5:37 PM  #34

Well I'm not nearly as eugeneus as most of you guys...and nowhere near Rudi...but over the last 60 years I have collected a few "special tools".  Some are modified "something else" and some are of my own mfg.  I even have one that was made by some other guy which I grabbed at a swap meet.

Engine assembly/cam indexing pointers; headlight wrench; Mustang door hinge spring installer;
piston stop; front wheel bearing race installers; crank thread protector for pulling harmonic balancer.

Mustang trunk spring wrengh;  rear main seal installer (purchased) with seating attachment that works between the installer and the plate on my engine stand.  This was a great idea that really didn't work as well as intended.  VW clutch alignment tool (Circa 1970, in the driveway)

Home-cobbled fuel injector tester/flusher

And finally my entry into the "Name that Tool" contest.  I did not build this...although the welds are kinda familiar...but picked it up at a swap meet some fifty years ago. 

Last edited by Bullet Bob (11/22/2021 5:51 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/22/2021 5:44 PM  #35

This wouldn't cooperate in my first post.  Transmission/reaend lube installer.  Works like a charm.  No runs, no drips, no puddles.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

11/22/2021 10:38 PM  #36

Bullet, is that a sprayer for garden use? I haven't had any luck using petroleum products in them for more than one use.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/22/2021 11:41 PM  #37

Greg B wrote:

Hey, I actually have a pair of those hose clamp pliers!  Lol.  Guess what this is?  Since we all know, I'm showing my contribution to it.  An old outer wheel bearing that got a second life.

Looks like the one I give fab info for on my website.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

11/23/2021 7:00 AM  #38

RPM:

Yes, garden sprayer.  I can put a quart or maybe two of gear lube in it and be below the end of the pump.  So far, no problem but I loaned it a friend and I I haven't used it since getting it back.  If he filled it that might kill it.  Guess I'll see.

11/23/2021 11:15 AM  #39

Daze wrote:

Greg B wrote:

Looks like the one I give fab info for on my website.

It is. I'm not taking credit for the tool, just adding a bearing. When I made mine I used a shock bottom.   When I went to use it, I didn't like the friction.  That's when I added the old bearing.   Made it work like butter.    I always meant to weld one up more "pretty" but just never did.   That was the timeframe that my old Lincoln wasnt welding properly. 

Last edited by Greg B (11/23/2021 11:22 AM)

11/23/2021 12:03 PM  #40

Greg B wrote:

It is. I'm not taking credit for the tool, just adding a bearing.

I wasnt implying you were taking credit, I was just saying they’re similar. The one on my page has a wheel bearing too.

I wasn’t the first to make this sort of compressor so I don’t get the credit either 😁😁😁

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

11/23/2021 12:19 PM  #41

Daze wrote:

Greg B wrote:

It is. I'm not taking credit for the tool, just adding a bearing.

I wasnt implying you were taking credit, I was just saying they’re similar. The one on my page has a wheel bearing too.

I wasn’t the first to make this sort of compressor so I don’t get the credit either 😁😁😁

Nice!  You made the bearing replaceable!  That is dedication!

Last edited by Greg B (11/23/2021 12:22 PM)

11/23/2021 3:18 PM  #42

Have a lot of homemade tools, but thought these might be interesting:

And a couple I haven't made myself, but not that easy to figure out what to use for:

11/23/2021 3:56 PM  #43

You got some weird ones there.  
Some sort of holding Philips screwdriver?
Maybe a floating die holder for a tailstock?

I'm at a loss on the thing with the two tapered mandrels welded to it, they look like ring mandrels.  Maybe for tying balloons?

Also have no idea what the clamp with the spherical roller is for.

11/23/2021 4:10 PM  #44

Bentworker wrote:

I'm at a loss on the thing with the two tapered mandrels welded to it, they look like ring mandrels.  Maybe for tying balloons?

If it is what I think it is it is for forming sheet metal.

11/23/2021 4:22 PM  #45

First one looks like a hand held English wheel, second one is a sand blast gun made from an air gun.
Ingenious for sure.

11/23/2021 5:15 PM  #46

Last two I'm thinking dentistry. 

11/23/2021 6:00 PM  #47

TKOPerformance wrote:

Last two I'm thinking dentistry. 

🤣🤣🤣

11/23/2021 6:01 PM  #48

Daze wrote:

Bentworker wrote:

If it is what I think it is it is for forming sheet metal.

Ditto Daze.

11/24/2021 2:33 PM  #49

I am working on making a set of expanding mandrels for my lathe.  Best part is these were made from an old worn out Mustang strut rod.  I love making things from junk.

11/24/2021 4:47 PM  #50

Daze wrote:

I am working on making a set of expanding mandrels for my lathe.  Best part is these were made from an old worn out Mustang strut rod.  I love making things from junk.

That is a nice-to-have tool, Daze

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.