| ||
| Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for: FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events |
Offline

I took this remote control unit off of the car many years ago and now I'm not sure where to re-install it.
I see a spot where it looks like it could go, but there are no holes anywhere on the door metal where screws have been screwed in. The spot where it looks like it would fit doesn't look like a good spot on the door panel to cut a hole.
Could someone please take a pic of theirs and post or email me so I'll know exactly where to mount it?
Offline

I am not 100% sure on this, but I have only seen those used with pony door panels, and the panels have a place marked on them where they go. They do not mount to the metal part of the door, just the panel.
CJ Pony has alot of helpful diagrams on their website showing locations for pony lights on doors, correct hood stripes, etc, so I woud check their website.
Offline
The standard door panels have a perfed circle for where that goes. I believe it mounts to the metal on the door. Not 100% sure about the mounting, but it seems that mounting just to the cardboard would just be too flimsy. After you pop the hole out of the panel, you may have to re-install to figure out where to drill a hole for the "guts"
Offline
It goes here... 
Offline

Here it is on Pony door panel - pretty sure it was only a 'luxury' interior option from the factory like Steve says - it is attached only to the door panel, not the door sheet-metal. There are little dabs of paint on the cable connections to indicate which cables go where at the control. You have to disconnect the cables at the control to get the door panel or mirror off. Check this link for more info on installation and connection of the cables:
All that being said, 50% percent of the time I knock the control knob with my knee when getting out of the car and it's much easier to adjust the mirror by sticking fingers on it than it is to use the remote control... your mileage may vary.
Last edited by McStang (10/17/2013 9:13 PM)
Offline

The remote mirror was part of the visibility group and could be had with the standard interior. It fits through a hole and attaches to the door panel with two screws and spring nuts. My brother's 66 vert has it with the standard interior. It has been years since I did the resto, but I want to say that the door panel had a punch out though my memory is a bit fuzzy on that. The metal door should already have the hole for the cable to go through.
Offline
Jeff in GA wrote:
The remote mirror was part of the visibility group and could be had with the standard interior.
Yep...that's a pic of my really-needs-attention interior in post #4. Boy, things can really look bad when you put a flash on them. My standard interior came with the visibility group. They make a really nice passenger side matching mirror also.
Offline

Thanks for the pics and info guys. That sure looks like a weird place to mount the controll. I sure thought it would go higher. I can see where you would be bumping into it with your leg. Might be time to think about new manual mirrors and do away with that control. I didn't look down that low for a place on the panel to see if there is a place to punch out.
My car was a cheapo vert. with regular interior so maybe they were standard on verts.
| REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on. |