FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/16/2013 11:44 AM  #1


Hood Hinge Problem

The problem is when I shut the hood the area at the hinges doesn't go down like it should. The area will be about 1/4" higher than the fender.   I have to go to each side and push the hood down, then it looks OK.     Is there an adjustment that would eliminate this problem,  or is it the non-Ford hinges that I bought along time ago, before I knew what I was doing?(Not that I really know what I'm doing now) Or is it possible that they'll loosen up the more I raise and lower the hood?  Any suggestions?


66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend
 

10/16/2013 12:35 PM  #2


Re: Hood Hinge Problem

Oil them.


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

10/16/2013 2:18 PM  #3


Re: Hood Hinge Problem

Mine had slight adjustments on the fender side.  The bolt holes are oblong and allowed a little play on both the hood and fender side.  I had the exact same problem you had and a half turn on each bolt let me play around with fitment.  Worked like a charm.

Also, oil them

 

10/17/2013 5:18 PM  #4


Re: Hood Hinge Problem

This stuff is perfect for hood hinges.
Sprays on and penetrates like WD-40, then gels into a heavier grease in 30 seconds or so.

Tubo


If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet
 

10/17/2013 5:38 PM  #5


Re: Hood Hinge Problem

Thanks guys, it's amazing what a little oil will do.  They are still not going all of the way down but are doing much better than they were.  Sometimes it's the simple things that you overlook.

Hey Tubo I've never seen that stuff, is it something that I can pickup at most auto parts stores?
 


66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend
     •Thread Starter
 

10/18/2013 12:42 PM  #6


Re: Hood Hinge Problem

I've seen it at the homedepot I work at. If you have a smart phone type it in and if you see it. Check and see if it says available in stores as they have now a huge online marketplace

 

10/18/2013 2:26 PM  #7


Re: Hood Hinge Problem

Strange at it may seem, if the rear of the hinge is moved up the hood will go down further.


Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!
 

10/18/2013 2:39 PM  #8


Re: Hood Hinge Problem

MAW wrote:

.......Hey Tubo I've never seen that stuff, is it something that I can pickup at most auto parts stores?
 

MAW
You do kinda have to look for it, it is amazing stuff. And you'll keep finding places to lube with it.

Tubo
 

Last edited by Tubo (10/18/2013 5:52 PM)


If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet
 

10/18/2013 4:03 PM  #9


Re: Hood Hinge Problem

The trick in a new installation is to remove the springs and adjust the hinges so the top piece lies perfectly flat atop the inner fender, and almost touching the front of the vertical part of the cowl, or as close as possible to that point.  Then when you bolt the hood on, you are assured you have it as low as possible.


Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.
 

10/18/2013 7:46 PM  #10


Re: Hood Hinge Problem

I welded nuts to the ends of the bolts under the fender. That way I can loosen the bolts that hold the hinge to the inner fender from under the fender with the hood closed and make adjustments. Don't put too much of a bead on them otherwise you'll have to cut them off to remove the hinge.


1966, vert, 347 stroker, T5z, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", EPAS
 

Board footera


REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.