FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2021 1:46 PM  #26

Re: Starter Solenoid

My understanding of the chemistry in our lead acid batteries is that the sulfur in the acid starts to precipitate out, forming sulfur crystals on the lead plates, whenever the charge drops below 85%.  Also, the sulfur crystals can be broken up and dissolved back into solution by brief high voltage spikes of electricity over time.  This is the process that the battery chargers that have desulfation modes use to "repair" damaged batteries.  I have experience with this with a 2003 Miata that I bought new and still own.  I have always driven this car for pleasure so it has always had extended periods of sitting depending on what has been going on in my life.  After only 2 years of ownership, the original battery would hold a charge for less than a week that was strong enough to start the car.  Back then I bought a desulfating battery charger and put it on the car as a battery float charger.  At the time I lived in the Seattle area.  In 2007 I moved to Tennessee.  I drove the Miata to Tennessee and left it with at my brother's house and flew back to Seattle.  It was a month later when I finally moved the rest of my things to Tennessee and returned to get the Miata.  After sitting a month, that same original battery was still holding a strong charge and started the car right up.  It went from not being able to hold a charge for a week at only 2 years of age to holding a charge for a month at 4 years of age.  I put the car back on the same float charger and continued with life.  In 2015, I became worried about the original battery in the Miata going bad so I replaced it even though it still worked fine.  I was worried that such an old battery might somehow develop a leak and damage the car.  I installed a new battery which has always been kept on that same battery charger.  Here we are in 2021 and the second battery is now 6 years old, going strong and showing no signs of being less than new condition.  So yes, I think that research I did about batteries back in 2005 when I learned about the importance of keeping a battery charged above 85% has some truth to it.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/18/2021 1:49 PM  #27

Oh, if you are wondering what battery charger I've been using on my Miata since 2005 then it is a "Battery Minder" 1 amp charger.

https://www.batteryminders.com/why-batteryminders/

Oops, it is "high frequency" spikes not "high voltage" spikes that restore a battery.  I reread the article and spotted the error in my memory.

Last edited by Rufus68 (11/18/2021 1:51 PM)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/18/2021 6:23 PM  #28

In my experience, the batteries Japanese cars come with are very good.  The original battery in my WRX went at least 10 years.  I'm now on my 2nd or possibly 3rd aftermarket battery in 8 years.  I do drive the car a lot less now, but try to run it out Monday nights when I go to shoot pool, so at least once a week.

Desulfating and keeping the electrolyte topped off are both standard parts of battery maintenance my father-in-law employs.  Makes a huge difference, especially in vehicles that sit. 

12/07/2021 9:20 PM  #29

Toploader wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Switch to the new(er) mini-type starter and they have the solenoid built in.........eliminating the old cumbersome one screwed-on-the-fender-skirt! They are smaller so more clearance between header and starter. They are stronger...spinning the engine over faster. Lotsa win-winz!
6sal6

Can you post me some links on what ones you think are good? My starter has always been a noisy starter.

If you put the solenoid on the starter, and you fry the solenoid, can you replace just that part, or do you have to replace the entire starter?  Like, in times past you could buy starter bearings, bendix, brushes…. Now you just get a new starter.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/08/2021 6:40 AM  #30

You can still get all that stuff, you just have to look for it.  Used to be you could get a rebuild kit at the local auto parts store, but not so much anymore.  Now you need a specialty vendor.  This is who I used for the kit to rebuild the alternator on my '89 GT:

https://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/

I would have done the starter too, but I opted to go with the later model mini starter instead, and bought a Motorcraft reman one from RockAuto.

12/09/2021 5:55 PM  #31

I can confirm that the Motorcraft solenoids are all made in China now too. I ordered one from Rock Auto.
I think I have sourced a USA made NOS solenoid, so will see how I go with that.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

12/10/2021 6:00 AM  #32

Toploader wrote:

I can confirm that the Motorcraft solenoids are all made in China now too. I ordered one from Rock Auto.
I think I have sourced a USA made NOS solenoid, so will see how I go with that.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of stuff is, but Motorcraft has criteria that must be met so I'd still feel better with Motorcraft branded parts than generic made in China stuff. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.