FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2022 7:45 PM  #1

Ride Height

i bought new rear springs for my 70 convertible. Now rear end is about 3 inches higher than it was. I suppose I need to get lowering blocks to fix it. What is the formula for the correct thickness block?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/03/2022 8:11 PM  #2

Re: Ride Height

What springs did you get?

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

1/03/2022 8:27 PM  #3

Listen to Mike Eaton talk about lowering blocks:

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/04/2022 5:15 AM  #4

Yeah, no lowering blocks.  I used to see this all the time in the 4x4 world, except they were lift blocks.  You create a lever from the axle housing to the spring and create spring wrap on hard acceleration or make existing spring wrap worse.  The end result can be broken springs, u-joints, and other parts. 

1/04/2022 8:05 AM  #5

Which springs did you buy?  I am getting ready to install some I bought.
I have noticed recently that a wide selection of 69-70 spring types is now available.
The ones I got are 4.5 leaf mid eye. Supposedly 1” lowering. Will find out how they fit in the next couple of days.  Side by side comparison with old springs on the floor suggests they might be 1/2” lower.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/04/2022 6:14 PM  #6

I bought the Eaton springs from NPD p/n 5560-42. My car originally had a 250 six cylinder in it. The springs were already shot when I got It so i put another long leaf in the spring from a 66 that I had. Ive been driving it that way since about 1980 and it worked great. It raised the car so I was level and didn't bottom out. At the bash it was bottoming out pretty good. The new spring improves the ride and makes it smoother but has raised the rear of the car significantly, and I don't like the look. I also can't find any ride high specs.? I didn't even think to compare them side by side. 

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/04/2022 8:06 PM  #7

Try squirting WD-40 in-between the spring leafs and then drive it around with as much weight as you can find. It may drop a little after the leafs slide against each other.  Give it a few days.

Then go buy new ones…

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/04/2022 9:23 PM  #8

I took Steve's advice about the wd 40 and stepped it up a notch AND Not saying to do this but I loosened all bolts and tightened them drove it up and down my driveway left them loose and repeated it a few days with several hundred pounds in trunk. I took them out and torqued the bolts to factory specs...it dropped a little.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (1/04/2022 9:25 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

1/05/2022 5:26 AM  #9

If nothing yields satisfactory results you can see if there is a spring shop in your area.  They can dearch the springs as needed to get to the right height. 

1/05/2022 11:32 AM  #10

I would drive it several hundred miles to make sure they settled before doing anything drastic. I presume you had the weight of the car on the springs before tightening the spring shackle  and front eye bolts. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/05/2022 1:22 PM  #11

I still have a mid eye 4.5 leaf springs set I haven't installed yet along with the 8" 3rd member..

So I ask EATON .,,
when going through there list of questions they ask about ride height 
on there site here's how I answered this question ...
What is special about your vehicle? What are you planning on doing with it? 
To answer this I need to know what standard height is ??

The existing height measures 14 1/4 " from center axle to bottom lip of quarter panel..
I would like this to be 1" lower to match the modified front

Mike at EATON  .. 
 Vernon, 
Thank you for your inquiry. To answer your question, no we do not know what the factory ride height would be. When we make the springs to specs they will sit her at factory height.

WHAT  !!  

so my question is what is factory height ?? 
​Does any one really know ??

Last edited by Vkt-66 (1/05/2022 1:26 PM)

66 PonySilverBlue-289/gt40/roller/650cfm/ram air-T-5-cable-w4way.disc/4-245x50x16"

1/05/2022 1:38 PM  #12

To the best of my knowledge ride height can be different even on consecutively numbered cars coming off the assembly line depending on what equipment they came with.
On my car getting it to sit where I wanted I had to cut the front coils and put 1” longer shackles on the rear.
It seems to be a cut and try process,  just don’t cut too much at the start., sneak up on it.
Also playing the devils advocate Mike has no way of knowing the provenance or condition of your existing springs to make a set giving you a 1 inch drop.
He possibly could do that if he had one of your old springs to work from. Just sayin.

Last edited by Rudi (1/05/2022 2:13 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/05/2022 3:14 PM  #13

Crazy as this sounds there were probably a hundred different leaf spring variations used by Ford each year as various options and options in concert could change the springs used.  Originally there were codes that could tell you what the springs were, but they would have been on the build sheet and possibly some paint colors on the springs.  All that info is typically long gone by now.  Eaton as I recall had a laundry list of questions to help them know what springs you need/want.  I'd think about what answers you gave to those questions, or you could ask Mike how many spring designs they have for your car or if they are all just built to order now.  Eaton  is a great company.  I've never been unhappy with them.  A premium product at a premium price form my recollections.  Getting ride height right the first time when its other than stock is often not an easy task. 

1/05/2022 9:11 PM  #14

Bolted to Floor wrote:

I would drive it several hundred miles to make sure they settled before doing anything drastic. I presume you had the weight of the car on the springs before tightening the spring shackle  and front eye bolts. 

Who would have thought of that? It was jacked up as high as I could get it so I could get under it and take a nap. I hope it works

I remember my rear springs having stripes on them when I first got it. My front springs and driveshaft still does. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.