FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2022 5:25 AM  #26

Re: head light relays

val fulesday wrote:

I am wanting to keep the relays inside the car , on the fire wall

So you want the relays in the cabin. The power has to come from somewhere, and its best to have the relays up front near the battery so the wire runs are short and can be large gauge wire. It doesn't make a lot of sense to run the power into the cabin to the relays and back out again to the lights.
Maybe its best to ask what you are doing, why you want relays, and what lights will you be using? 

Last edited by Mach1Driver (1/13/2022 5:29 AM)

1/13/2022 8:44 AM  #27

rufas, I actually enjoy learning something new thank you for the effort you've put in, I do appreciate it.

1/13/2022 11:44 AM  #28

Here is a good "how to"
No need to buy a kit,  relays are available almost antwhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcY2CG07wi0

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/13/2022 6:29 PM  #29

I don’t have a schematic of how I did it to my 66. I really didn’t need one. I just used two heavy duty relays I had lying around. One for low beam one for high. I used the wires from the light switch to trigger the relay. I brought fused power  directly from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the lights. Very probably the easiest mod I’ve done to my car to date.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

1/13/2022 6:52 PM  #30

Rudi wrote:

Here is a good "how to"
No need to buy a kit,  relays are available almost antwhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcY2CG07wi0

I watched that video and it makes the process much more difficult than required.  If a person uses a harness like the one I linked to, then they don't need to cut any existing wires on the car.  All the work can be done under the hood.  Just unplug both headlights and plug the new male headlight connector of the harness into one of the existing female headlight plugs (it doesn't matter which one).  This connection will complete the trigger portion of the relays.  Then connect the new Red wire, that is already fused, to the battery (or hot post of the solenoid).  Connect the Black wires to ground.  Use the two new ceramic female headlight plugs to connect to the headlight bulbs.  The circuit is now functional.  Of course, the installer would have chosen how to route the harness so that it is not seen.  During this process, a suitable location for mounting the relays would have also been selected.

Last edited by Rufus68 (1/13/2022 6:53 PM)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/13/2022 9:24 PM  #31

At a point later on, I rewired and installed the relays behind the PS headlamp bucket....cleaning up the Underwood wiring.

1/17/2022 8:03 PM  #32

Beware of the relays with clear plastic housings that show the coil and contacts. I used a harness that came with that type, and they self-destructed after they got wet. Best to use only good sealed relays like Bosch or OEM.

1/18/2022 7:40 AM  #33

This is a good explanation of headlight relays.

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/headlight-relays.html

www.quadmat.com  Butyl Sound Deadener & Insulation

1/19/2022 1:57 PM  #34

Thanks for the diode explanation guys. It help. Since I used relay part numbers from Bullet Bob’s cheat sheet, my ride may have the diodes!!  

Nos681 wrote:

The diode protects the relay contacts as well as any electronic sensitive equipment connected.

Although this video pertains to 5 volt system, it still applies to 12 volt systems as well.

https://youtu.be/oMjNsoG6ZIA

Great video Dan.

Dkralc wrote:

This is a good explanation of headlight relays.

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/headlight-relays.html

Sizing wire was something I struggled with on the Mustang as I adapted circuits in the painless harness. In the end, it was some reverse engineering using the type of wire they supplied with the corresponding fusing. All wire insulations are not created equal with some… different insulations will allow more or less ampacity through the same size wire. The link from =10ptDkralc has a section for wire capacity with a link to a wire size calculator that could be very helpful.

Val, what did you decide on. If you want the relays under the dash somewhere, it’s possible.  

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/19/2022 3:18 PM  #35

Beware of the cheap Chinese headlight wire kits that are on Ebay. The wiring is under sized. Looks like 12g wire on the outside but cut and strip and see there is about 1/2 the copper that is in a 12g AWG wire.

1/19/2022 9:56 PM  #36

ponch0v wrote:

Beware of the cheap Chinese headlight wire kits that are on Ebay. The wiring is under sized. Looks like 12g wire on the outside but cut and strip and see there is about 1/2 the copper that is in a 12g AWG wire.

Also, if you build your own be careful with Auto Zoo or O'Reilie's or most other auto parts store wire.  I use only GXL insulated primary wire from Allied Wire & Cable.  It's top quality and will withstand the high and low temps found under the hood...depending on the season.  Also, if you solder it the insulation will not crawl back up the wire an inch to get away from the heat.  It will cost you a bit more but....well you know.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/19/2022 10:26 PM  #37

In the past I have been guilty of soldering after crimping terminals. AAW recommends not soldering them.
Apparently soldering makes the joint susceptible to breaking when subjected to flexing and vibration.
When I did the AAW rewire I purchased their crimping tools, big money but peace of mind with professional looking  crimps.

1/20/2022 7:14 AM  #38

Right you are about soldering, Rudi...don't ax how I know.  But in some instances soldering is necessary, just don't bend the harness at those points. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/20/2022 10:33 AM  #39

Rudi wrote:

AAW recommends not soldering them.
Apparently soldering makes the joint susceptible to breaking when subjected to flexing and vibration.

HEY Rudi....you were right to begin with!!

Another example of ...."Up is now down".....black is now white"...."bad is now good"!
How could sooo many people for sooo many years continue to do things worng?!!

I  WILL continue to solder my crimped wire joints and cover the joint with shrink tube!
It doesn't take  genius to know better than to twist/bend/flex a soldered joint!!
IT's ALL about marketing and making money$$$  guyz!
So long as we use common sense(which seems to be in short supply these days) on these old 60's classics  things will CONTINUE to work out!!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/20/2022 11:16 AM  #40

Preach it Sally!

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

1/20/2022 11:25 AM  #41

6sally6 wrote:

I WILL continue to solder my crimped wire joints and cover the joint with shrink tube!
It doesn't take genius to know better than to twist/bend/flex a soldered joint!!

6sal6

True Mike...butt (TS&T) unintended consequences do happen.  My problem was when I needed to pull the intake on the heap and had to move the "engine harness" that feeds the injectors and engine sensors out of the way.  When I put it all back together it would not run well at all.  Trouble shooting indicated that cylinders 1, 2, and 3 were not firing.  Since I had built the harness I recalled that the 12 volt source to the injectors was branched to feed the right and left side of the engine.  After opening up the harness...I love that woven poly harness loom wrap...I discovered that I had a branch at the number four injector that went forward to feed 3, 2, and 1.  In the process of moving the harness aside I had caused the soldered splice at that branch to break.  I had moved the harness very carefully but apparently not careful enough.
Lesson learned.  I will still solder some connections but most will be crimped and covered with double wall, adhesive lined heat shrink tube.  That provides a moisture resistant, strong, and electrically secure connection that is not overly sensitive to movement.

BB1

1/20/2022 11:56 AM  #42

Before I got fed up with archaic original wiring  I chased an intermittent ignition cut out for almost a year.
I lost ignition once on a  very busy  Pennsylvania thruway  with no shoulder to pull off on, I thought it was gonna be the end of my wife’s and my life. It started up and quit many times on that trip but we did make it home in the end.
I couldn’t pinpoint the issue till one day I was trying to find the problem and got so pissed off that slammed the driver door so hard it almost came off the hinges. With that shock to the body the engine quit running and a light bulb came on in my brain, hmmm vibration = engine stopped!!.
The engine started right back up, which it usually did after quitting and got under the hood and started to jiggle the wiring harnesses exiting the fire wall. Lo and behold the wires that went to the CD ignition control box had a joint. The joint was a crimped wire joining connection that had been soldered and double covered with shrink tubing. I cut the bad section out and redid the connection with no solder, just crimped and shrink tubed. Issue solved.
That winters project was a complete AAW kit.
Lesson learned, the hard way . . . .  as usual!

1/20/2022 4:45 PM  #43

6sally6 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

AAW recommends not soldering them.

HEY Rudi....you were right to begin with!!

Another example of ...."Up is now down".....black is now white"...."bad is now good"!
How could sooo many people for sooo many years continue to do things worng?!!

I WILL continue to solder my crimped wire joints and cover the joint with shrink tube!
It doesn't take genius to know better than to twist/bend/flex a soldered joint!!
IT's ALL about marketing and making money$$$ guyz!
So long as we use common sense(which seems to be in short supply these days) on these old 60's classics things will CONTINUE to work out!!!
6sal6

The only time I regretted soldering was when I was on my back for 2 hours with my head between the gas & brake pedals and my legs wrap around the seat back and then found out that the red wire wasn't the positive wire on the new heat/AC blower motor.
Yes   and stay away from them ebay kits that the wire is mostly all insulation.

1/22/2022 12:10 PM  #44

My 2-cents.
I avoid using insulated butt splices or ring terminals due to wire breakage at the end of the splice or ring terminal.  Using an uninsulated version, I then use heat shrink to cover the splice/ring terminal and about 1/2” of the wire.  This will stabilize the connection enough not to allow vibration to break the wire at the connection point.  I’ve seen insulated slices and ring terminals fail both in my work experience, and working on cars.
I apply solder to the crimped joint, especially if outside the vehicle’s interior, to keep out any corrosive elements from corroding the connection. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/23/2022 9:08 AM  #45

I'd like to see what tools people have and recommend for connector crimping.  I've got a couple but nothing I would recommend.  Especially non-insulated connectors that you heat shrink over.

Aerospace used ratcheting type that were pretty high dollar.  Not looking to spend 4 figures....

1/23/2022 10:11 AM  #46

JamesW wrote:

I'd like to see what tools people have and recommend for connector crimping.  I've got a couple but nothing I would recommend.  Especially non-insulated connectors that you heat shrink over.

Aerospace used ratcheting type that were pretty high dollar.  Not looking to spend 4 figures....

I have a very old Thomas& Betts plier type crimping toll #WT-111-M.  It was handed down from my father. I'm not sure if they are available 'new' anymore, but I see used versions are available on eBay. 
While I've used the rachet type crimping tool at work, I also do not want to spend the extra money for one.  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/23/2022 11:05 AM  #47

The AAW wire kit uses modern type crimp connectors and the sell two Delphi crimpers  that make factory correct type crimps. They are not cheap, 160 bucks a set and made in USA.
Before I got the Delphi tools I used the traditional “squash” crimpers and insulated terminals like they sell at the dollar store.

Last edited by Rudi (1/23/2022 11:07 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.