FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2022 6:35 PM  #1

OK, OK, OK, Cruise control…

What is the best cruise control setup to use in retrofit on a carb’d car?  Tranny will be a T5 or 4R70W

Show pics of your installation?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/25/2022 7:43 PM  #2

Re: OK, OK, OK, Cruise control…

Im guessing a 1985 Mustang GT probably had a good set up for auto or a t5 with a Carb.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (1/25/2022 7:44 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

1/25/2022 7:45 PM  #3

I have a "Rostra" electronic cruise control.
Previously I installed a new vacuum operated one and  found it did not have the power to to work with the Holley.
 I mounted the power head on the outside angled of passenger floor board by the frame rail and made a splash shield to protect it even though Rosrta said it is waterproof.
The operating cable was very long and I did not want a it coiled up in the engine bay if the power head was in there as well. Rostra had an optional dedicated turn signal stalk with the control buit into it that screws into the Ford steering column turn signal mechanism.. It seemed like a better option rather than a dash mounted control or the control that snaps on the existing turn signal stalk.
Its been on the car for about 15 years and has never given me any issues.
Sorry but I cant find a picture of the unit under the car but here is one of  carb connection.
 The cruise control pull cable is just visible above the AOD TV cable in this picture.

Last edited by Rudi (1/25/2022 7:47 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/25/2022 10:10 PM  #4

I used the same turn signal stock switch as Rudi.  Bought my switch from Summit back in '14 or so and used it to control an AudioVaux CSS-100 cruise system.  I never found much to like about AV but at the time this system was getting a lot of good ink.  It's vacuum operated and has served my well since about 09 when I installed it.  I mounted the servo and electronics under the dash on the far right, next to the glove box.  The cable runs over the top of the glove box and sweeps forward to a fitting on the firewall.  The cable housing stops there and the cable goes on forward to the throttle body.
6Sally6 used this same unit mounted the same way and I think Steve Buzek is using a Rostra also mounted under the dash.  Steve did mention that the electronic servo makes more noise than he would like.  We mounted the electric Rostra under the dash, same as mine, in the Falcon project and they don't complain about servo noise,  But that is a convertible Falcon, not Steve Busek's 67 Stang-O-Lac.  If I can find a pic of the setup I'll post it or get it to you.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/26/2022 11:39 AM  #5

Same as Bullet Bob BUTT....
I used the "manual" set-up of attaching the magnets to the driveshaft and the reader 1/2" away....under the car. It worked flawlessly for several years UNTIL.....my front U-joint 'somehow' managed to wrap the emergency brake cable around the driveshaft.
Needless to say the old hot rod came to a screeching halt!!
Sorta destroyed the 'reader/magnet' set-up.
The good news is I can re-program(with a flick of a switch) the servo to read the speed from a gizmo that attaches to the back of the speedometer. (One of my many..."when-I-get-a-round-tuit s").
Downside.....ya gotta use old fashion incandesant bulbs for a brake light. It WON'T engage when using LED's.
(Go ahead ..... axe me how I know this)
You're already under the dash....might as well put it in.
Works great and very accurate. It can 'bump-up' OR 'bump down' in 1 mph encrements.
Just touch the brake pedal and it dis-engages.
While engaged....you can eat a hot dog...drink a Coke...play on your phone...get a chew...light a smoke...scratch ..
ALL the things we THINK we need to do besides drive a 2 ton missile @ 70+ MPH! Ya know the drill!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/26/2022 12:40 PM  #6

I used the Rostra unit and the box is tucked infront and below the passengers side hood hinge. It be black so it blends in real well. I used the turn signal stalk like BB and Rudi. I run 3 1157 bulbs per side in the back all powered by relays to save the brake and turn signal switches. Had to do the LED brake light mod with a relay. Instructions for this mod are in the manual. Sometimes activating the left turn signal shuts down the cruise. I have no idea why but thinking a diode in the relay circuit would help.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

1/26/2022 6:30 PM  #7

With the LEDs installed for park, tail and stop/turn lighting I used a separate relay triggered by the brake light switch to send a full 12V signal to cancel the cruise.  Works fine and is ONLY one more relay in the system.
BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/27/2022 8:48 PM  #8

I have had the Rostra for about 4 years. It has worked for two bash trips. The magnets worked their way out of the tie wraps on the drive shaft. The other times I think it was installation error. When I put the T5 in I put in a switch for the clutch and the brake to turn it off, but (??????) now it won't turn on.  I put the servo in the engine compt because of the long throttle cable. The AC is in the way inside the car and the cable is to long to put it on the driver side and I don't like the idea of crawling under the panel to set it up or trouble shoot the servo.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/27/2022 10:03 PM  #9

My Rostra cruise control gets its signal from a Ford VSS that I put in the AOD, it fits where the speedo cable used to be.
I used the driveshaft magnets when I had C4 in the car, the VSS is a cleaner set up.

1/28/2022 7:44 PM  #10

Thanks for all the input on cruise control.
Looks like Rostra is the go-to for all the thinking Mustangers here.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/29/2022 10:55 PM  #11

Rudi wrote:

My Rostra cruise control gets its signal from a Ford VSS that I put in the AOD, it fits where the speedo cable used to be.
I used the driveshaft magnets when I had C4 in the car, the VSS is a cleaner set up.

I'm not familiar with that, does the speedo work or is just left undone?

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

1/30/2022 7:24 AM  #12

The '80s, early '90s Ford VSS plugs into the transmission where the speedo cable would go.  You need a speedo cable with a modified end that then plugs into the VSS.  the VSS is a signal generator that has a pass-through shaft that drives the speedo.  In around '03 Ford started going to electronic speedos that are driven by the the transmission speed sensor which is a different animal that reports output shaft speed to the powertrain control module...computer.

1/30/2022 8:35 AM  #13

HudginJ3 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

I'm not familiar with that, does the speedo work or is just left undone?

Thanks Bullet for a better detailed explanation than I could come up with.
I have a Autometer speedo that uses the same VSS signal, no cable.

1/30/2022 9:50 AM  #14

And I'll be probably be going the same route, Rudi.  Next major mod to the Heap will be new instruments, me thinks.

1/30/2022 10:25 AM  #15

Bullet Bob wrote:

And I'll be probably be going the same route, Rudi.  Next major mod to the Heap will be new instruments, me thinks.

I’m really happy with my Autometer gauges. When I rewired the car with a AAW set up I thought it better to go all new instruments instead of using the horribly inaccurate O/E gauges.
I never cared for digital gauges in classic cars so it was analogs with white face, easier fo old eyes.
I put an AFR and voltmeter in the “a” pillar pod.
I cant but wonder why Autometer would put BB2's i nitials on the rev counter

Last edited by Rudi (1/30/2022 10:32 AM)

1/30/2022 10:49 AM  #16

I forgot to mention that I stayed with incandescent bulbs in the instrument cluster, the LED bulbs seemed way to harsh at night, old eyes again!

1/30/2022 11:30 AM  #17

I'm like graffiti Rudi, I'm everywhere.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.