FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2022 10:59 PM  #1

Seats for 68 convertible??

Got some really nice  black 98 Cobra seats. Switch seat tracks from the 68 to 98 seats. In test discovered they will NOT fit (with the ability to adjust) Very mush rubbing between center hump and door still. If I were to raise them I could not sit in car   What seats are being used in convertible.   Rudi ??? anyone else have ideas?

2/05/2022 10:51 AM  #2

Re: Seats for 68 convertible??

Are you trying to keep the power functions? It’s hard to do with that stuff in place.
On my mid 90’s fox seats I did not keep power and stripped the Fox seats track risers down to the bare minimum and added mounting tabs to the original seat mount hole dimensions and made them longer for more leg room.
I did not use the 68 tracks, the Fox tracks have more travel and now the seats go back to within a few inches of the rear seat.
I have posted pictures before, don’t know if they are still here. I can repost if needed.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/05/2022 11:26 AM  #3

It would have been nice to have power seats but there would have been no way to sit in the car. I did remove them and switched to the 68 tracks. Seats stiller higher than I would like but once I was in useable. The problem is the 98 seats are just a little too wide and jam if you try to adjust. When you said you used 90s fox seats where they for a convirtible?? or will any 90s Fox seats work? If you could dig up the pictures it would be nice
Thanks SRJ

2/05/2022 4:41 PM  #4

Fox seats are alot different than 94 and newer.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/05/2022 5:58 PM  #5

Steve, I put 96 seats in my 68 - I sold the power base units on eBay. I used the 68 tracks, but I had to drill one hole in the 96 seat bottom so the tracks would work. My car is a coupe, so maybe your convertible is configured differently in the seat riser area. The only interference problem I had was that the seat would drag on the carpet. I shimmed the seat up by putting two washers on each track stud to shim the seat track upwards and it all cleared fine. I was able to wire in the electric air pumps in the seats for the lumbar support feature to work. I've had no problems fitting in mine with headroom or side room.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/05/2022 10:03 PM  #6

OK Steve is that good or bad?? Will any 90'S  Mustang fit into my CONVERTIBLE?? Or do I need convertible seats only?

2/06/2022 12:26 AM  #7

I think the only difference between convertible, and not, is the seatbelt loop.
I trial fitted a 95 vert seat without the power stuff to the tracks in my 65 vert. It dragged on the inner rocker near its rearward position, A fender washer under the rear two bolts fixed that.
I didn't like the fit under the steering wheel, those seats are higher. A smaller wheel will fix that.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

2/06/2022 10:49 AM  #8

Correction, my seats are from a 96 V6 Mustang, base model no power, not Fox body.
I drilled out all the spot welds on the 96 seat risers and removed them,  the 96 seat tracks have about  2" more travel than the 68.
The seat track width spacing is so close that a bit hole filing in the seat pan is all thats needed.
 I made  extensions and welded them on the 96 tracks at the front to back hole mount dimensions.
 Like Barry said the only place the seat rubs the inner rocker is at the furthest rear adjustments, not a problem but the seat belt rise has to be pulled up so it can bypass. Probobly not an issue in a coupe.
 The seats now go back to within about 5-6 inches of the rear seat, lots of leg room for plus six foot drivers.

96 seat left, 68 seat right, recovered seat center.

96 seat in the car, it clears the console, barely touches at thr rear.

Rear seat entension pictures with starter "tits" on the mount bolts.

Front extensions.

Seat bottom

What the cow sacrifised for the seats. The inserts are buffalo hyde.

SIL Pat doing his craft.

Last edited by Rudi (2/06/2022 11:13 AM)

2/06/2022 11:02 PM  #9

Thank you Rudi: You saved a bunch of $ for me. The 98 Cobra seats are perfect and I will see if I can find non power tracks at the local U -PICK -IT The tracks that I removed were power. The pictures will be a great help.thanks again.
srj

2/07/2022 9:10 AM  #10

You are more than welcome Steve, glad I could help.
Say hi to Jacque from us, we miss seeing you both at the MCA shows.

2/07/2022 3:53 PM  #11

Steve, I'm looking at the tracks Rudi used and I'm betting they are very close or even the same as the 89-93 Fox tracks I used in the Heap.  They do require some add-ons as Rudi's pix show.  I made adapters out of 1 1/2 x 1/2 strap steel that do essentially the same thing Rudi did.  My adapters raised the seats 1/2" so his method may save you 1/4" or so. 
Anyway, you may be able to use the Fox tracks which may be easier to find.   Just sayin'.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (2/07/2022 3:54 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/07/2022 7:30 PM  #12

Steve, if you have 67-68 seat tracks they will bolt right up to the 96 seats if the you use one of  the existing untapped  holes in the 96 seat base and one of the existing tapped holes. I may take a bit of fudging but it will work. I put 68 tracks on the 96 seats when I did a proof of concept, pictures below.
 You can weld  extenders to the 68 tracks like I did to the 96 tracks.
When I first got the 96 seats I did this. The hole is already in the seat base and IIRC it just needs to be threaded. You may need a few washers or spacer for carpet clearance, I cant remember for sure since it was quite a while ago.
As I mentioned before the 68 track has less travel but function properly.

The 96 seats on 68 tracks before I recovered them.

2/08/2022 10:43 PM  #13

Glad to see all the mods and advice going on to get modern seats.

Just a word of caution that doesn’t always get considered.  Seats are an engineered safety device, designed to provide a certain degree of safety restraint in the event of a collision. Just be sure whatever modifications you do do will have a good chance of surviving a crash.
Always consider the failure mode of any mod you do, and try to overdesign what you think “will hold it” to the point where it would survive 5x the forces you think it will ever see.
Bolts threaded into thin metal will pull loose.
Thin metal pieces will break.
The more surface area that can be applied to any fastener will improve that fastener’s ability to hang tight in a collision.

Your life may depend on it. Most of the stuff I have seen posted appears to be sound. Just keep it in the back of your mind when you modify a seat frame or mount. “How will this mod hold up when it abruptly gets stopped supporting 1,000 pounds of weight?”

I have been watching my 50+ year old seat belts deteriorate for many years.  Maybe I should take my own advice and upgrade them to something more modern.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/08/2022 10:50 PM  #14

MS wrote:

Just a word of caution that doesn’t always get considered. Seats are an engineered safety device, designed to provide a certain degree of safety restraint in the event of a collision. Just be sure whatever modifications you do do will have a good chance of surviving a crash.
Always consider the failure mode of any mod you do, and try to overdesign what you think “will hold it” to the point where it would survive 5x the forces you think it will ever see.
The more surface area that can be applied to any fastener will improve that fastener’s ability to hang tight in a collision.

Your life may depend on it. Most of the stuff I have seen posted appears to be sound. Just keep it in the back of your mind when you modify a seat frame or mount. “How will this mod hold up when it abruptly gets stopped supporting 1,000 pounds of weight?”

I have been watching my 50+ year old seat belts deteriorate for many years. Maybe I should take my own advice and upgrade them to something more modern.

My Fox seats held up they are going in the 65.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (2/08/2022 10:50 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

2/09/2022 9:40 AM  #15

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

MS wrote:

Just a word of caution that doesn’t always get considered. Seats are an engineered safety device, designed to provide a certain degree of safety restraint in the event of a collision. Just be sure whatever modifications you do do will have a good chance of surviving a crash.

I have been watching my 50+ year old seat belts deteriorate for many years. Maybe I should take my own advice and upgrade them to something more modern.

My Fox seats held up they are going in the 65.

Are those the ones that were”crash tested”?
I’m sure you will  verify their condition.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.