FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2013 11:59 PM  #1

What rear end is in the 200 cyl mustang

If smaller than a 8" what do I need to do to up grade to the 8" or bigger?

10/21/2013 1:16 AM  #2

Re: What rear end is in the 200 cyl mustang

It's a 7 1/4 inch 10 bolt wonder. Cuz it's a wonder mine still works after 47 years and 240,000 miles.

To upgrade to an 8 inch just find a good working one for the year car you have and bolt it in.  Everything bolts to the same places I believe. Check on the drive shaft. You also need to worry about your wheels

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Muzz 66 (10/21/2013 1:17 AM)

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

10/21/2013 8:42 AM  #3

Will the 7 1/4 hold up to a 302 or should I up grade.

10/21/2013 8:45 AM  #4

I ran one behind my 302 for several years without beating on it too much but I replaced it with a 9" a couple of years ago when I upgraded everything to 5 lug.  I think most people would recommend you replace it.
Good luck,

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

10/21/2013 9:13 AM  #5

If you have a hard time finding a donor 8" or 9" you might wanna get a 8.8 with 31 spline axles. Just swap out the left axle for a right  narrow the left side take off the mounts it has and put on some mounts for leafs and your pretty well set you'll even have rear disc

10/21/2013 9:36 AM  #6

Mustang Guy wrote:

Will the 7 1/4 hold up to a 302 or should I up grade.

You need to upgrade. 

I have a long-winded story about stopping to help a kid with a 65 Mustang that was stopped dead in the middle of a busy 3-lane interstate highway. 

He was laying on the ground in front of the car trying to figure out why the car would not move.  I pulled to the shoulder nearby and convinced him it was not a good idea to lay under the car with it in that position.  He came over to the shoulder.  I told him that next time a clearing of cars came up, he would jump in the driver seat and I would push him to the shoulder.  Clearing came, we tried it and the car would not budge.  The rear end was locked up solid.  A 4-lug rear end with a V8 in the front. 

We stood there and watched from the side of the road as all the un-alert drivers spotted the dead car in the middle of the road ( of course it had no flashers) and swerved at the last minute to avoid rear-ending it.  A suburban nearly hit him and then swerved and nearly hit the center guard rail and then the right side of the road and finally got it straightened out.  Then some lady in a Windstar minivan, apparently intent upon watching the suburban, swerved at the last minute and caught the left rear of the Mustang with the right side sliding door area of the van.  It ripped the door off the van and then spun it around so it was facing the opposite direction, expelling the entire contents of the inside of the van all over the interstate highway, blocking both directions of traffic.  It is darned lucky she did not have an unbelted kid asleep on the rear seat.  She and her son were belted in front and did not get hurt.  The Mustang was totalled immediately. (unless you are Ramses).

From that day on, I have been a big proponent of doing things right when you are messing with something that can cause a wreck or be considered a safety item.  That 4 lug rear end locked up and diasbled the car in the center lane and there wasn't a darned thing anyone could do but sit there and watch the car get creamed.  It is lucky no one was killed in the process, including the inexperienced Mustang driver laying on the pavement in front of the car.

Yes, you need to upgrade the rear end.  Do not take chances with something that can fail catastophically.

An 8" from a Granada is a straight bolt in.  The 8.8" rear is a good choice but takes considerable more work.  You do get more out of the deal though as they are stronger than an 8", you can get discs cheap and a traction lock at the same time, along with a decent ratio from an Explorer.   A 9" is a good bolt-in, but getting rare, and unneccessary unless you are making alot of power.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/21/2013 8:15 PM  #7

If you mentioned what model your car is, I guess I missed it.

If it's a '65/'66 Mustang, obviously, a '65/'66 Mustang 8-inch (or 9-inch --very rare), would be a direct fit.

If it's a '65-'66 model, a '75-'80 Granada/Monarch 8-inch will be a direct swap. --some Granadas/Monarchs came with optional 9-inch drum brake rear ends or optional disc brake 9-inch rears (same disc brake 9-inch rear that was standard equipment in the '77-'80 Lincoln Versailles).

If it's a '67-'70 model, obviously, a '67-'70 Mustang/Cougar 8-inch or 9-inch rear would be a direct swap. In the case of all '69/'70 Cougars, they were all equipped with 9-inch rears.

Finding a 9-inch rear in the wrecking yards, these days, can be difficult but not entirely impossible.

The 8.8" rear is more abundant than a Ford 9-inch ...well, even more so than even an 8-inch too.  The '95-2001 Explorer 8.8" is a good possible candidate for a swap. It comes stock with disc brakes and 31-spline axles. Many (not all) have Traction-Lok differentials and ratios are typically 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10:1 (as well as some other ratio choices). It's not as tough as a 9-inch but is more durable than an 8-inch.

If the Explorer rear end swap is to be done on a '65/'66 model, the drivers side axle tube will need to be shortened and another (shorter) passengers side axle swapped in its place.  If the Explorer rear is being swapped into a '67-'70 Mustang, the axle tube does not need to be shortened and the longer axle doesn't need to be swapped for a shorter axle. (it's the correct width, as-is, for the '67-'70 Mustang).

A narrower '65/'66 Mustang 8 or 9-inch rear end, or an 8 or 9-inch Granada/Monarch rear end can be installed in a '67-'70 Mustang, you will just have to size the backspacing of the wheels, accordingly, for the narrower rear end width.

Last edited by ultrastang (10/21/2013 8:18 PM)

10/22/2013 10:03 AM  #8

Thanks for all the help in this matter lookslike a up grade is coming for the old girl like I said thanks.

10/22/2013 3:33 PM  #9

Mustang Guy,
Where are you located?

10/22/2013 7:13 PM  #10

if you want to stay 4 lug but still get a 8" you can get a 71-73 6 cyl maverick rear end its 4 lug and 8" and will bolt right in to the 65-66 mustang it is about 3/4 of a inch shorter then the 65-66 8" axle but thats not bad i have one in my stang and it bolted right in i did not even have to change drive shafts as i have a c4 trans it even uses the same drum brake componites as the 6 cyl as well.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.