FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2022 7:53 PM  #1

Don’t you just love wiring?

I just love cleaning up wiring done by previous owners

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/05/2022 9:51 PM  #2

Re: Don’t you just love wiring?

Quit complainin'...I'd do wiring on that setup 10 times rather than laying on my back, trying to stuff everything up under the dash of a 66 again.  That one can be done with a tape measure and a sheet of plywood while sitting comfortably on a stool....measure it out, lay it out...build it and lay it into the car.  What's the big deal?

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/05/2022 10:15 PM  #3

Mainly, the complaint is all about modifications done by someone who owned it during the time when it left my hands, and today.
It used to have an original 69 stereo in it. That was removed and replaced with a bunch of very amateur taped up mess and an aftermarket stereo wired in
Always ON.

I do agree this is much easier than working on a 66 that has no removable dash.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/05/2022 10:19 PM  #4

Bullet Bob wrote:

Quit complainin'...I'd do wiring on that setup 10 times rather than laying on my back, trying to stuff everything up under the dash of a 66 again.  That one can be done with a tape measure and a sheet of plywood while sitting comfortably on a stool....measure it out, lay it out...build it and lay it into the car.  What's the big deal?

I wish my 68 would have had that kind of access when I put a AAW rewire kit in it.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/06/2022 6:24 AM  #5

Electrical is typically THE most hacked together mess in an old car.  It constantly amazes me how many guys actually know how to work on cars, but simply don't understand electrical or proper procedures for repairing or modifying it. 

3/06/2022 10:40 AM  #6

I made the instrument panel possible to bolt in and out on my '67 coupe. Also made a complete new wiring system from scratch which as always like with everything I do takes a lot of time.

3/06/2022 10:41 AM  #7

Bullet Bob wrote:

My first thought also ... I wish I had a removable dash.  I can't twist around as easily as I once could and always seems to be between switching back and forth from glasses on and glasses off. (and yes, the glasses are bifocals!) 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/06/2022 12:54 PM  #8

I thought that after cataract surgery with lens implants my sight would be better.
Looks like I will need tri-focal glasses for mid range vision, the distance at which most work is done.🤬

3/06/2022 5:34 PM  #9

Boy that's a bunch of relays there Hakan- I thought I was bad! I guess I'm weird, I love doing that sort of thing.

3/06/2022 7:12 PM  #10

That's looking pretty good, Hakan.  What PCM are you using?  Is that going to be easier than "Tuning" the EEC-IV?
Relays?  Looks like about what I have in the Heap.  Thirteen at last count, I think.  Handiest thing they ever invented

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/07/2022 4:39 PM  #11

I replaced the EEC-IV Quarterhorse combination I had with a Swedish made MAXXECU https://www.maxxecu.com/ because of local support and dynos available and also the fact that hardware developed more than thirty years ago ain't got much tuning software constantly developed any longer like with the case of the MAXXECU. The latest version of the tuning software for the MAXXECU was actually released two days ago and the next latest in November 2021. I have no idea how easy it is to use yet, but I hope I have learned something from working with IT for quite some time and if not there's like I mentioned local support available.

In the pictures I posted it looks like there's more relays than it is as a put some of them on top of the fuse box. So far I've only used ten relays, but then I also at least tried to keep the whole system as simple as possible besides the remote controlled door locks.

3/07/2022 5:59 PM  #12

Looks great as usual Hakan.

Have you guys considered the use of solid state relays?

My supervisor has an experimental aircraft and used a system to control at instead of electromechanical relays. They are programmable and resetable.
One reason he used it is for weight reduction and vibration.

3/07/2022 5:59 PM  #13

If you run Cruise Control with LED tail/stop lights you may need to interpose a relay to provide the Cancel signal on braking.  Thanks for the info on the PCM.

3/07/2022 6:49 PM  #14

Bullet Bob wrote:

If you run Cruise Control with LED tail/stop lights you may need to interpose a relay to provide the Cancel signal on braking.  Thanks for the info on the PCM.

Years ago when I did the AAW rewire kit their tech hot line helped me with that same  cure.

Last edited by Rudi (3/07/2022 6:51 PM)

3/07/2022 7:09 PM  #15

Nos681 wrote:

My supervisor has an experimental aircraft and used a system to control at instead of electromechanical relays. They are programmable and resetable.

SSRs are good, especially if you want to PWM a fuel pump or cooling fan or need fast reacting switching for like a line lock or transbrake.

But, in my opinion, PDMs are the way to go. They seem expensive at 1st, but when you look at simply how much wiring it eliminates and how clean and controllable the install becomes it's worth it. Yes some will argue that if the unit fails everything is dead, but again IMHO it's more than worth it.

Here's a good example of a nice PDM https://www.shopasmotorsports.com/hardwire-electronics-pdm-10. Pair this up with an EFI system that talks CAN and you have an awesome set of capabilities.

Or you can buy a unit like this Haltech that has everything! https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-195000-nexus-r5-vcu/

3/07/2022 10:28 PM  #16

Nos681 wrote:

It's called Vertical Power VP-X  One of the very few instances where aviation is ahead of the automotive industry.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/08/2022 7:13 PM  #17

Vertical power is the system.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.