FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2022 5:27 PM  #1

65-66 Fastback trunk lid torsion rod spring thingy

Maybe Mochaman or j-kb can field this one.
Fenders, doors, hood and trunk lid were removed in the process of having Miss May's being repainted.
I'm now reinstalling the trunk lid hinge assembly & lid torsion rod spring thingy. and am puzzled bout how to fit the dang thing back so's it works. (while not scratching the new paint)
Any one care to splain??
Oh Yeah, MS what is your trick for reattaching the rear valance corners??

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

3/07/2022 6:42 PM  #2

Re: 65-66 Fastback trunk lid torsion rod spring thingy

Corky, I sent you pics to your cell...

3/07/2022 7:34 PM  #3

Corky
I recently posted about the valance a few months ago

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/07/2022 7:59 PM  #4

Thanks Josh, your photos show me what it should look like when I get done.
 I thought I'd seen that the spring rod thingy, shouldn't be installed in what looks like the most likely position.
It had to be torqued before installation, so it has a "Spring action" effect. Without that the trunk lid won't stay up, I don't need any problems about that.

Thanks MS I found it.

Tubo

3/07/2022 8:19 PM  #5

Does this mean you are out of paint jail, Tubo?

3/07/2022 9:38 PM  #6

Corky,  I made a custom tool to install the trunk torsion springs without using channel locks, screwdrivers or other paint scrapers or finger mashers.  If you can wait a couple of days I'll loan it to you via USPS.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/07/2022 9:56 PM  #7

Bullet Bob wrote:

Corky,  I made a custom tool to install the trunk torsion springs without using channel locks, screwdrivers or other paint scrapers or finger mashers.  If you can wait a couple of days I'll loan it to you via USPS.

BB

Bullet
Fastback is completely different than coupe. Requires no tools to install

3/08/2022 12:43 AM  #8

'll be attempting a tooless install tomorrow. Josh's photos give me a template to follow.
Paint Jail... I handed the 2+2 to Trevor(Painter) on Jan 8 of 2021. He allowed as how the job would take 6 weeks.
I picked up the painted 2+2 Nov 6 of 2021. Yeah Paint Jail. Same colors, and the Le Mans stripes are finally the correct width too MS

Tubo

3/08/2022 8:19 AM  #9

Can’t wait to see it!  You have been showing up Mustangless for way too long!

3/08/2022 3:46 PM  #10

Too Right!!

Tubo

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.