FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2022 12:10 PM  #1

why and how are these not fitting my 1968 Mustang?

upload

I had bought these Via Kijiji, the seller assured me they would fit my 68, and they don't.
Why? How? I know my Diff is a 8"......it won't bolt up! They're brand new.  😭

Cheers,
Jeff

3/12/2022 12:39 PM  #2

Re: why and how are these not fitting my 1968 Mustang?

Any markings on it as to the manufacturer so you could get instructions?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/12/2022 5:36 PM  #3

What does not fit?  The 4 mounting holes are wrong?  The other side looks like it should lay up against the front spring perch.  Where does it line up with that perch?

The rods look awfully small.  Mine are close to an inch in diameter.  Old school Traction Masters.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/12/2022 9:58 PM  #4

Bolt pattern really small. Rod diameter really small. Lever arm where they mount to the shock plate is really short. Why not just order real ones from Branda if you really want your rear suspension to bind up.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/13/2022 7:49 AM  #5

Probably just me butt (TS&T), the cast mounting pad for the spring plate looks really cheezy...like it would break with no effort at all.  And...I really love all the extra washers on the forward bolts.  Is there a reason for those that I'm not familiar with since I never had traction bars on anything.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/13/2022 8:07 AM  #6

I think something on those or the suspension is bound to break. 

3/13/2022 10:41 AM  #7

Well, the length is correct, the Diameter shaft is correct (at least 1").

It's the bolt pattern that doesn't like up. I thought mustangs were the same for this stuff 65-70. It appears the bolt pattern is different, which would indicate the Shock Plate has different geometry.

OH MAYBE FOR 6CYL???   But then again I can't imagine too many 6cyl needing bars 🤷🏻‍♂️

3/13/2022 12:17 PM  #8

Well, If the bolt pattern does not work with the shock pad you might as well return them to the seller. If you want some traction bars that realy work, you might look into these. Nice thing is they work with either a 8 inch or 9 inch rearend.
https://calvertracing.com/product/6401-caltracs/

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

3/13/2022 12:32 PM  #9

M1Mustang69 wrote:

It's the bolt pattern that doesn't like up. I thought mustangs were the same for this stuff 65-70.

The '65/'66 8" and 9" axle tubes necked down to a smaller diameter out where the spring pad is welded on. Since the axle tube diameter is smaller the u-bolts are smaller.

3/14/2022 12:45 PM  #10

Id take the lower bolt and bar off.  See how they fit your u bolts.  Maybe there welded the wrong direction?  The direction its going doesn't look like the U bolts were clear the axle tube and fit the holes. 

3/14/2022 2:19 PM  #11

M1Mustang69 wrote:

upload

I had bought these Via Kijiji, the seller assured me they would fit my 68, and they don't.
Why? How? I know my Diff is a 8"......it won't bolt up! They're brand new. 😭

Cheers,
Jeff

i can look at mine tomorrow and take pics . have 66 with 8 inch 

3/14/2022 2:28 PM  #12

https://ibb.co/5WKXCSp
[img][/img] 

Last edited by Alessandro (3/14/2022 2:41 PM)

3/14/2022 2:43 PM  #13

important note !  . car must sit on the ground before weld this or measures will be off .

3/14/2022 5:25 PM  #14

I had mine welded on a flat table at my body man's shop to make sure everything was aligned properly.  Did the same with the subframe connectors.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/22/2022 10:06 PM  #15

Alessandro wrote:

https://ibb.co/5WKXCSp
[img][/img] 

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to show everyone what I did to fix the capitability issue, vs. trying to find a buyer, then repurchasing.

**Alessandro, does the raised part face towards the inside of the car, or outwards?  (The part the gets welded to the wall of the sub frame)????

3/23/2022 7:58 AM  #16

I strongly suggest you fully assemble the traction bars, bolted to the shock plates, with the car sitting level and the weight of the car on the wheels before you weld them to the frame.  Position of the welded brackets will be obvious then, and the location will be totally accurate.  Be sure to clean all paint from the area to be welded or you will get some UGLY welds!

Prepare yourself for some changes in the way your car drives.  Rear suspension travel will be limited.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/23/2022 10:28 AM  #17

I cut my end off the bar on the frame side and had a heim joint welded to it with a nut.

So I could adjust the length of the bar.  When I welded mine on my car was jacked up in the back.  I now have it lowered so it changed the length of the bar.

Steve69

3/23/2022 9:08 PM  #18

Steve69 wrote:

I cut my end off the bar on the frame side and had a heim joint welded to it with a nut.

So I could adjust the length of the bar.  When I welded mine on my car was jacked up in the back.  I now have it lowered so it changed the length of the bar.

Steve69

They make tube adapters for that.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.