FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2022 3:10 PM  #1

Stereo What are y’all using

Trying to avoid cutting the dash cause my car has a very nice fully functioning AM radio in it. But it is a daily driver and I like tunes in it. Plans are to leave the factory AM in hooked up and maybe install a stereo in trunk with speakers in the rear deck. Maybe a head unit to keep in console.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/24/2022 4:12 PM  #2

Re: Stereo What are y’all using

Depends on what type media you listen to, I just installed a bluetooth receiver. It is hidden under my console.  I can use my phone to play music thru Sirius XM app or play mp3/4 files.  or you can play radio stations thru Iheart radio
Here's a link to what I bought
 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IBI518Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Last edited by terry (3/24/2022 4:15 PM)

3/24/2022 4:41 PM  #3

I use ear buds and my phone. I have ALL the beach tunes I can find on it. + it's sorta hard to hear my dinky stereo and equally dinky speakers with the windows down and the big 'cammed-up V-8' do'in its thang.
Go ahead 'Mr. Po-leese Man"..use your ear buds while driving!!!!
Live on the wild side some!
IF you're not living on the edge....your taking up too much space!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/24/2022 5:39 PM  #4

I still have the Custom Audiosound radio I installed in the '80's.  Works fine.  No cutting and picks up AM/FM.  For a while I added a rear speaker, but the sound sounded weird, so I took it out.

What with road noise, engine/muffler sounds, wind noise, and the rattles and squeaks of a 50+ year old car, a good hi-fi is useless.  Before cutting for anything more than a std radio, insulate the driver's compartment to remove as much of the unwanted sound as you can.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/24/2022 5:50 PM  #5

I have the original RetroSound 1 radio. No cutting the dash. They now have versions with Bluetooth. The FM sounds good but I have lots of songs on a flash drive that plugs into the radio. Sounds good. I have a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the aux port but I never use it.

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

3/24/2022 6:17 PM  #6

I have had a Custom Autosound for about 20 years, can’t remember the last time I turned it on.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/24/2022 7:48 PM  #7

RetroSound Model 2.  Has two Aux inputs, two USB inputs, bluetooth capable which lets old deaf me us the phone while driving, or input SeriusXM from my phone.  Cant tell how the power, tone, etc. is 'cause, as I said in the first line....I'm deaf...or close enough.
This unit also has a remoteable head which connects to the body with very common telephone multi-pare and connectors so you can leave the stock radio in there and mount the Retro wherever.
This unit also had far better selectivity and sensitivity than the POS Custom Autosound I had first.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (3/24/2022 7:49 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/24/2022 8:20 PM  #8

3/25/2022 5:32 AM  #9

I simply made normal audio equipment fit the car.  The idea that it can't sound good is simply not true.  My audio system sounds as good as any other system I've ever installed.  Sound quality is based primarily on the quality of the components and the location of the speakers.  The "custom" stuff is usually, frankly, junk from an audio quality standpoint.  The explanation of why is a lengthy diatribe I'll spare you, but I got into high performance car audio 25 years ago and its something I know a LOT about.  My system is an Alpine head unit (stock location in a modified '67 radio bezel), Rockford Fosgate amps (in the trunk on custom mounts), JBL component set in the front (tweeters on A pillar pods I built and mids in the kick panels with x-overs behind the glove box), JBL 6x9s in the trunk door (aftermarket door I cut up and modified), and a single 10" JBL sub in the trunk.  I'd advise doing something similar.  Figure out where to place the components, figure out what components to buy, and then figure out how to hide/incorporate everything.  If I had a '65-'66 car the only change I think I would make would be putting the head unit in the console to avoid cutting the dash.  This system provides an enveloping audio experience even with the windows rolled down. 

3/25/2022 8:56 AM  #10

terry wrote:

Depends on what type media you listen to, I just installed a bluetooth receiver. It is hidden under my console.  I can use my phone to play music thru Sirius XM app or play mp3/4 files.  or you can play radio stations thru Iheart radio
Here's a link to what I bought
 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IBI518Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I like that!

3/25/2022 8:56 AM  #11

3/25/2022 12:02 PM  #12

I recently cut the dash on my 65 to install a single-DIN radio, an inexpensive Jensen unit, a CDX3119 from Crutchfield for like $90.  I removed the Custom AutoSound USA-630 AM/FM radio (purchased in 2008) as I was disappointed with it.  (It does work) This inexpensive Jensen is much better, IMO.

Bill, or anyone else, if you want it send me a PM and I’m sure we can work something out.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/25/2022 6:27 PM  #13

I just ordered a bluetooth amplifier that I am putting in my trunk. Should be in by sunday and I will give an update. Dont get AM FM but I listen to most music from my phone (spotify)

68 Cougar XR7 347 stroker T5 3:80

3/25/2022 7:23 PM  #14

Here’s an idea for ya guys with the Bluetooth adapters.

Have the stock AM radio pick up a relay to turn on your Bluetooth adapter.

Just throwing out  an idea to make it easier to it on.

3/25/2022 10:34 PM  #15

BILLY,
I went with a Retrosound. It was expensive, but it has Bluetooth capabilities and there is a USB connection for you to connect a flash drive or MP3 player.
I love mine and with an amp, it puts out excellent sound. I ran the USB cable into the glove box and have an MP3 connected with my favourite tunes.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/26/2022 4:08 AM  #16

Back in 2012 I went all out, ordered a delete plate, Almost as much as a radio back then, Works great and it wont use and power, Has one great station, that 66 pony tune going down the highway, Love it 

3/26/2022 10:48 AM  #17

I can't say we enjoyed the retrosound 2 that much. It fried itself up after a few seasons It was a complicated mess. So we always needed the book out to make any changes, and at times it would just reset itself to whatever it liked. It was expensive and it's sound quality was not what we expected for the $
We just put the original 67 AM radio back in because it is still trouble free after 55 yrs.

3/26/2022 11:26 AM  #18

Nos681 wrote:

Here’s an idea for ya guys with the Bluetooth adapters.

Have the stock AM radio pick up a relay to turn on your Bluetooth adapter.

Just throwing out an idea to make it easier to it on.

Not a bad idea, if the AM radio isn't working you could probably do that without a relay.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/26/2022 2:06 PM  #19

I kept the original AM/8 Track when it died and replaced it with something that wasn't memorable. Years (and years) later I had the original converted with an Aurora Design upgrade. So it looks original, and still has AM and the 8 Track, but they added FM, more watts, USB, a second auxiliary input, Bluetooth, hands free phone use- just talk to it, there are voice commands you can give it via a microphone up near the sun visor, and it will talk to you, or you can just use the usual knobs and buttons. And since some smart-a$$ kid bent my antenna off, I decided to use the new power antenna output to remove further temptation. Its Purdy Spiffy!

Last edited by Mach1Driver (3/26/2022 5:44 PM)

3/26/2022 5:42 PM  #20

I completely removed my antenna from the fender and mounted the antenna inside the top of the rear seat. Does pretty good for reception. I made a post on here with photos showing how I did it.
The Retrosound unit I got works fantastic, but I have an amp too. The stereo in my Mustang would easily rival the stereo in our late model Mazda.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/27/2022 10:07 AM  #21

Toploader wrote:

I completely removed my antenna from the fender and mounted the antenna inside the top of the rear seat. Does pretty good for reception. I made a post on here with photos showing how I did it.
The Retrosound unit I got works fantastic, but I have an amp too. The stereo in my Mustang would easily rival the stereo in our late model Mazda.

Toploader - how many speakers do you have and what are the sizes and the locations?

3/27/2022 10:43 PM  #22

I hacked my dash in the ‘80s. I can put in anything I like.  The damage is done.  I need to replace the Alpine head unit that’s nearly 30 years old now.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

3/28/2022 1:45 AM  #23

BobE wrote:

Toploader - how many speakers do you have and what are the sizes and the locations?

I have the under dash speaker and two round speakers in the parcel tray.
I'm very happy with my set up.

3/28/2022 8:55 AM  #24

Toploader wrote:

BobE wrote:

I have the under dash speaker and two round speakers in the parcel tray.
I'm very happy with my set up.

Thank you

3/30/2022 7:34 PM  #25

looking like cutting my dash is best option.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.